Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Shelly 2.5 and Orbi

CrimpOn
Guru

Shelly 2.5 and Orbi

There was a post in December regarding difficulty connecting a Shelly 2.5 electrical switch to Orbi.

https://shelly.cloud/products/shelly-25-smart-home-automation-relay/ 

Amazon sells them for $27US, so I bought one and have successfully connected it to my Orbi RBR50.

This gizmo can be hidden inside a regular (plastic) switch box to control two separate circuits, while allowing the original switches to continue to function.  It has weekly schedules. Can be controlled through the Cloud. And even reports the electrical usage in watts.

Android Play (the 'app' store) is full of 1-Star reviews of the Shelly Cloud app, and for good reason. Even though I followed the directions exactly, over 20 connection attempts failed for one reason or another using two different Android phones (7.1.1 and 10).

Because I set it up to control two light bulbs and had no switches, each attempt required holding a tiny 'reset' thingy for 10-20 seconds until a LED began to flash.  Because of this, the Shelly 2.5 definitely needs to be connected to WiFi and tested before hiding it inside the wall.

This is not a "2.4G vs 5G" issue.  The Shelly thoughtfully provided the MAC address of each available SSID, and I specifically chose the router 2.4G MAC.  It is just a horrible, horrible app.

This gizmo can function without the cloud and even without a WiF network by creating its own WiFi access point.  My successful attempt was to connect a phone directly to the gizmo's AP and use the built-in menu to connect it to my Orbi WiFi.  Even that was stressful because their text entry starts each line with a capital letter and my WiFi begins with a lower case letter.  Most text entries allow the user to "back space" over the capital and change it to lower case. Not Shelly.  Shift key to the rescue.)

Anyway, with the device connected, I then updated the firmware, and it works!

This product is clearly not intended to take the place of regular "smart plugs" which get plugged into a regular outlet and control whatever is plugged into them.  This thing requires dealing with bare electrical wire and cannot be moved once it is installed.

Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7