Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Stuttering 4K playback with Orbi RBK40 wireless backhaul

iorishx
Aspirant

Stuttering 4K playback with Orbi RBK40 wireless backhaul

Hello everyone. 

Been suffering from playing stuttering 4k on KODI from a SONY Z9F TV. My connection is:

Ground floor: Kodi on SONY Z9F wired to RBR40 router, wireless to

First floor: Windows 10 on PC wired to RBS40. 

The distance is no more than 10 metres but on different floor. RBK40 with lastest firmware. 

1080 or less is fine, but some of 4K seem to be too much for my RBK. Seems the backhaul speed is around 20 MBps

Any suggestions to improve my situation?

Thanks in advance.

Shaun

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Stuttering 4K playback with Orbi RBK40 wireless backhaul

couple things.

1. What speeds do you pay for?

2. If you hardwire into the RBR (router not satellite) what speeds do you get?

3. If you hardwire into the RBS (satellite) what speeds do you get?

4. Orbi devices need a minimum of 30ft (roughly 10 meters) of seperation to function properly. 

Your statement has that the TV is hardwired to the router. Does streaming 4k from another source work fine? such as netflix, amazon, etc?

Are you sure its not a transcoding issue causing the streaming to stutter? 4k needs a bit more processing power to transcode on the fly. Its why I'm asking about testing speeds for the router and satellite. We need to determine where the problem is. 

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since the FW update? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@iorishx wrote:

Hello everyone. 

Been suffering from playing stuttering 4k on KODI from a SONY Z9F TV. My connection is:

Ground floor: Kodi on SONY Z9F wired to RBR40 router, wireless to

First floor: Windows 10 on PC wired to RBS40. 

The distance is no more than 10 metres but on different floor. RBK40 with lastest firmware. 

1080 or less is fine, but some of 4K seem to be too much for my RBK. Seems the backhaul speed is around 20 MBps

Any suggestions to improve my situation?

Thanks in advance.

Shaun

Message 3 of 6
iorishx
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply plemans.

Sorry I did not explain clearly. PC is only playing a storage role here, and 4K contents are saved in PC's local disk. It is a Wireless LAN transmission, thus I don't think this is any concern of the internet speed at all. 

I just ran a test to compare the performance between wireless and wired backhaul. The set up is as follows,

PC hardwired to RBS

Wired: RBS hardwired to RBR LAN1

Wireless: RBS wireless to RBR 

RBR LAN2 hardwired to LAPTOP

Iperf is used on both PC and LAPTOP to test the transmitting speed. 

Results:

Wireless transmitting speed: 23 MBps 

Wired transmitting speed: 110 MBps

While Orbi claims that 5GHz (866Mbps) dedicated WiFi link for faster data connections between Orbi router and Orbi Satellite. I only got 200Mbps.

Noted that RBS and RBR are not in the same floor, where RBR is in the utility room under stairs and RBS is in the study room next to stairs on the first floor. The distance is about 5 metres but there are wooden stairs and one wooden wall between them. 

The temperary solution is gonna be buying a long cable and making them wired, but my intension was using them wirelessly. lol

Any suggestions are welcome, any ways to improve the wireless backhaul speed are highly appreciated.

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

"While Orbi claims that 5GHz (866Mbps) dedicated WiFi link for faster data connections between Orbi router and Orbi Satellite." Be aware that this is a connection rate between Orbi, its satellites and connected client devices. This is not a actual throughtput speed rate. Two different animals here. 

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

@iorishx wrote:

Thanks for the reply plemans.

PC hardwired to RBS

Wired: RBS hardwired to RBR LAN1

Wireless: RBS wireless to RBR 

RBR LAN2 hardwired to LAPTOP

The distance is about 5 metres but there are wooden stairs and one wooden wall between them. 

Not sure I understood your wiring statement correct. I put them in red coloring. do you have mutliple RBS devices or just 1? because you have it as rbs to rbr for both wired and wireless. 

Here's what I understand:

PC----RBS---wireless backhaul---RBR---Laptop and TV

Is this correct?

Whats doing the transcoding for your tv with KODI? In my exerience, tv's are pretty sensitive to transcoding/formatting for playing 4k. I've had stuttering due to the format on 4k sony tv because of formating issues. Easy way to check if its formating or truly the backhaul would be to directly connect it to the PC acting as storage and seeing if it still stutters or not. 

also your devices are to close if the satellites are only 5 meters from the main router.  Orbi needs a minimum of 10 meters or it'll have issues because of band/device steering within orbi. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7