Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to download file using Orbi Router

tdeutscher
Aspirant

Unable to download file using Orbi Router

Hi All,

While I can browse any website, I am unable to download files of any size when connected to the Orbi Router (RBR50). The message shown is "Network Failure" with any browser i use to try to download a similar message occurs while using Internet Download Manager (app).  When connected (hardwired) directly to my Motorola modem I am able to do so without a problem.

I have tried  firmware manual updates and rollbacks to the router (including the most recent:  V2.1.1.16) and it did not resolve the issue. This approach is super time consuming and while I could try each firmware image in the library I am not confident that will resolve.

I have factory reset the RBR50 to no avail as well.

Changing DNS Servers from  Xfinity, Google and OpenDNS had no effect.

My modem has no wi-fi feature just as an fyi.

It's great having one-gig internet service but is a bummer when one cannot download a file.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks! 

Todd

PC/macs are various intel i7 machines with ac wifi cards or gigabit ethernet cards. Running OSX, Win 7 and Win10 Pro. Same issue with all.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 6
tdeutscher
Aspirant

Also, I AM able to download while using a VPN (e.g. Express VPN).

Message 2 of 6
st_shaw
Master

There is no fundamental problem with Orbi downloading files, so it's got to be something about your network setup.

If you can connect to your router and download files from the Internet, it sounds like your modem may also be a router.  In that case I suggest you configure Orbi as an access point.  

Message 3 of 6
tdeutscher
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply. The modem is a Motorola MB8600 and has no router features. I can connect through Orbi to the modem (i.e. login to modem admin or go to the internet). Files just will not download. I used the IOS App to set up Orbi. Orbi is the network so there must be a setting within Orbit that is doing this (I guess). No sites are blocked in the Orbi Settings etc. My other comment is, that when I first set up Orbi i was able to downloand fine (June 2017). About three months ago it stopped.  Sidenote, Orbi's Firmware update was set on Automatic, though today when I checked, it indicated no new firmware, yet when I went to Orbi support site, there was a newer firmware than that which as on the machine. Manually updating to that today had no effect.  Thanks again. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 4 of 6
st_shaw
Master

This is just a stab in the dark, but try reducing the MTU size.  Maybe start with 1300 and work up from thereif it works.

See page 50 of the users manual.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf

Message 5 of 6
tdeutscher
Aspirant

Thank you. I tried the MTU settings to no avail. The actual message i receive is "Failed - Network Error" when downloading with Chrome for example. I don't understand why with VPN it works, or the modem directly it works, but through ORBI it dies.  I have set up and reset up the system but nothing works. All other settings are via default from the Setup. 

Any additional thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!example.JPG

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7