Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WiFi Slow after 2-3 days until reboot?

mkfein
Star

Can you explain further? I'm not sure what this link is supposed to tell me? That there are other issues with V2.3.5.30 ?

Message 26 of 158
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@mkfein wrote:

I tried isolating the issue to specific devices without success. I don't even have any google chromecast devices.

I actually managed to get my system to be stable for about a month... then Netgear pushed a new firmware update (V2.3.5.30) and I'm back to having to reboot every 2-3 days. About ready to bag the Orbi and try a competitor.

Did they push it or did you perform the update manually?  I don't have it.

Message 27 of 158
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@mkfein wrote:

Can you explain further? I'm not sure what this link is supposed to tell me? That there are other issues with V2.3.5.30 ?

Yes....others have been reporting problems since it's release.  I'm amazed at the number of folks who have been in this community long enough to know this, yet they still insist on avoiding this possiblity.  

Message 28 of 158
mkfein
Star

Is there an alternative firmware version available that you recommend?

Message 29 of 158
Retired_Member
Not applicable

My only recommendation is IF your system was working before your FW was updated (I'm assuming you did this manually) then I would try to revert back.  My understanding is the NG stopped pushing FW updates UNLESS it contains major revisions needed by all.  Otherwise a newer FW may be available but is NOT required (read the relase notes), especially if your system is working.  Good luck.

Message 30 of 158
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since the last FW update? 

@mkfein wrote:

I tried isolating the issue to specific devices without success. I don't even have any google chromecast devices.

I actually managed to get my system to be stable for about a month... then Netgear pushed a new firmware update (V2.3.5.30) and I'm back to having to reboot every 2-3 days. About ready to bag the Orbi and try a competitor.

Message 31 of 158
mkfein
Star

Is there any way to schedule a nightly reboot? I could not seem to find an obvious way to do that.
Message 32 of 158
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since the last FW update?

Orbi doesn't offer scheduling...

@mkfein wrote:
Is there any way to schedule a nightly reboot? I could not seem to find an obvious way to do that.

Message 33 of 158
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@mkfein wrote:

You forgot.......Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 34 of 158
mrbrew
Initiate

I'm also observing this behavior and have to reboot the device every couple days.  This did not occur prior to V2.3.5.30.

Version 2.3.5.34 appears to be the latest version - release notes here - https://kb.netgear.com/000061420

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/RBR50-V2.3.5.34.zip

It seems weird that the Orbi interface doesn't see a new update available, so I'm a little hesitant to apply it.  Have you tried manually updating past 2.3.5.30? 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 35 of 158
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update? Try try this. I have mine on v40 currently. 

@mrbrew wrote:

I'm also observing this behavior and have to reboot the device every couple days.  This did not occur prior to V2.3.5.30.

Version 2.3.5.34 appears to be the latest version - release notes here - https://kb.netgear.com/000061420

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/RBR50-V2.3.5.34.zip

It seems weird that the Orbi interface doesn't see a new update available, so I'm a little hesitant to apply it.  Have you tried manually updating past 2.3.5.30? 

Message 36 of 158
apuddy
Guide

I'm having this exact same issue and this has been a problem off and on for me since I got the system almost 1.5 years ago.  For a while, it appeared that I was on a stable firmware where this wasn't an issue.  Unfortunately, I don't recall which version that was.  However, on V2.3.5.30, it's back and is incredibly frustrating.  I really hope the automatic firmware upgrade goes away if Netgear can't make a stable firmware reliably.  In any case, I just manually updated to V2.3.5.34 and have my fingers crossed.  Anyone seen the slowdown issue with this latest firmware?  It'll be a few days until I know for myself.

Message 37 of 158
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

@apuddy wrote:

I'm having this exact same issue and this has been a problem off and on for me since I got the system almost 1.5 years ago.  For a while, it appeared that I was on a stable firmware where this wasn't an issue.  Unfortunately, I don't recall which version that was.  However, on V2.3.5.30, it's back and is incredibly frustrating.  I really hope the automatic firmware upgrade goes away if Netgear can't make a stable firmware reliably.  In any case, I just manually updated to V2.3.5.34 and have my fingers crossed.  Anyone seen the slowdown issue with this latest firmware?  It'll be a few days until I know for myself.

Message 38 of 158
apuddy
Guide

I have tried enabling and disabling all of those settings in the past with no luck.  I have also done a complete factory reset and setup from scratch, also without any luck.  Home size 4400 sq ft, satellite 45 ft away but I'm using a wired connection, Auto channel for 2.4 Ghz (have tried specifying channel in the past with no difference), plenty of wifi neighbors but I've tried specifying the least congested channels in the past with no difference.

In the end, I don't understand how changing these settings would change anything.  Over and over and over again, I get great wireless performance (200mbps, which matches what I'm paying for from my ISP) for a few days and then the speed drops to 40 mbps.  Wired internet speed never changes.  So, I reboot the system and the speed immediately goes back to 200 mbps.  3-4 days later, rinse and repeat.  If one of these settings were to blame, wouldn't my speed be crappy all the time and be unaffected by a reboot?

Message 39 of 158
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try lowering the power output of the RBR from 100% to 75% or 50% and see.

@apuddy wrote:

I have tried enabling and disabling all of those settings in the past with no luck.  I have also done a complete factory reset and setup from scratch, also without any luck.  Home size 4400 sq ft, satellite 45 ft away but I'm using a wired connection, Auto channel for 2.4 Ghz (have tried specifying channel in the past with no difference), plenty of wifi neighbors but I've tried specifying the least congested channels in the past with no difference.

In the end, I don't understand how changing these settings would change anything.  Over and over and over again, I get great wireless performance (200mbps, which matches what I'm paying for from my ISP) for a few days and then the speed drops to 40 mbps.  Wired internet speed never changes.  So, I reboot the system and the speed immediately goes back to 200 mbps.  3-4 days later, rinse and repeat.  If one of these settings were to blame, wouldn't my speed be crappy all the time and be unaffected by a reboot?

Message 40 of 158
apuddy
Guide

I've had 2 different modems with my ISP over the last 1.5 yrs and same problem with both.  The current modem is Motorola Model MB7220; however, wired connection is never slow, so it shouldn't be the modem or the ISP signal.  

Lowering the power output of the RBR, never would have thought to do that.  Why would the power output being at 100% contribute to poor wifi after a few days?

Message 41 of 158
mkfein
Star

I’m on 2.5.0.38 firmware and the slowdowns are still happening for me, although it *seems* to be less frequent lately... Definitely still happening through.

I’m convinced that no amount of setting tweaks will fix this... I’ve tried them all, including multiple hard/factory resets. I’ve kind of resigned myself that this is something I’ll have to live with, until they allow scheduling router reboots.... or I throw in the towel and get a competitor’s mesh system.
Message 42 of 158
FURRYe38
Guru

Might tack on a power timer on to the RBR and set it to power OFF then back on the RBR. Possible that some of these Orbi units may have been faulty from the beginning. 

Message 43 of 158
apuddy
Guide

I agree on all counts.  I've looked at other mesh systems as well, which may be the only route.  I just wish Netgear would figure out why this is happening and fix it, because it really is a good system for me when it's working.

Message 44 of 158
FURRYe38
Guru

I would make contact with the forum moderator and see what they can do to help you with this. This maybe an isolated problem with some units or just faulty HW. One reason why NG may not be aware or something fixable in FW as this maybe a HW issue. I've only seen a few posts about this since helping others in the forums. So kind of says theres not alot of others with this problem or there would be more posts about it. Make contact and see what your options are. 

@Blanca_O 

@apuddy wrote:

I agree on all counts.  I've looked at other mesh systems as well, which may be the only route.  I just wish Netgear would figure out why this is happening and fix it, because it really is a good system for me when it's working.

Message 45 of 158
apuddy
Guide

Ok, well thanks for trying to help me and the others on this forum.  Stupid question, but how do I contact the moderator?

Message 46 of 158
FURRYe38
Guru

Send a PM to Blanca_O

Message 47 of 158
mkfein
Star

I’ve tried that too... no help since my system Is past warranty.
Message 48 of 158
jeremyblewis
Aspirant

I'm just here to add that I see the same behavior described in this thread. I have Sonic fiber, with 500+ Mbps down/900+ MBps up when tested via orbi mobile app. After a router reboot, I see about 250 Mbps download speeds, but wait a few days and it's down to 40. Reboot the router, and right back to 250 Mbps. Firmware version v2.3.5.30

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 49 of 158
reidtait
Tutor

Stumbled upon this thread while Googling this very issue -- I'm experiencing the same behaviour. I'll notice that my wireless internet speeds are around 40 or 50 mbps download, and a reboot of the system through the web UI will cause the same test from the same device in the same location to get download speeds of 400 to 500 mbps seconds later. In my case, it's devices that are connected to the satelite (haven't done enough troubleshooting to know if it affects the router too), and only wireless devices. My Apple TV which is wired to the satelite will show 500 mbps download speeds even when the wireless speed tests are showing a slowdown, and running a speed test through the Orbi app also shows me speeds expected speeds. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 50 of 158
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7