Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wired Communication

Trot476
Aspirant

Wired Communication

Hey all, potentially dumb question.

I'd like to ask how wired devices connected to satellites communicate with each other. For example, let's say that I have two wired devices connected to the same satellite. I begin moving files from device 1 to device 2 over the local network. Do the wired devices communicate with each other over the wired connection, or does the data get sent wirelessly to the router and then back to the satellite before reaching the second device?

My apologies for how basic this question is, tried looking it up myself but couldn't find the answer.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

My understanding is that the Orbi "50" series have a miniature gigabit switch on each unit, so the packets going from one device on the Orbi to another device on the same Orbi do not leave the Orbi.  i.e. if both devices are connected to the satellite, packets going from one to the other do not leave the satellite.

Are you experiencing a problem?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

My understanding is that the Orbi "50" series have a miniature gigabit switch on each unit, so the packets going from one device on the Orbi to another device on the same Orbi do not leave the Orbi.  i.e. if both devices are connected to the satellite, packets going from one to the other do not leave the satellite.

Are you experiencing a problem?

Message 2 of 3
Trot476
Aspirant

Nope, no problem, was trying to determine whether there might be some value in swapping over to a wired connection from my current wireless ones. Was hoping that what you indicated would be how the system would operate, just wanted to reach out for confirmation before I go to the bother of running+hiding the cable.

Thanks much for your help!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7