Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Yet again: setting a reserved address on an Orbi

erlwebmail
Tutor

Yet again: setting a reserved address on an Orbi

The post at https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-setting-up-static-IP-address-for-one-of-my-quot-appliance... has been locked, so I can't add to it. Sorry. I also consulted https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-DHCP-address-reservation-is-ignored/m-p/1797338#M70052.

I followed the instructions in the first post above, went to "Advanced, Setup, LAN Setup," added reserved address 192.168.1.99, and clicked on "APPLY". It added  an entry. I exited the Orbi, rebooted the computer, but it kept the same old address. I rebooted the router and then the computer. ...no joy- -  it was still running on the old address, not the reserved one.

So, I changed the reserved address to 192.168.1.101 and APPLIED the reservation. I went to "Attached Devices" and lo-and-behold, the address was shown as 192.168.1.99 ! I quickly went back and edited the reserved address to 192.168.1.099, thinking it might need all 3 digits, and APPLIED. Going back to the "Attached Devices" list, it kept the 192.168.1.99 address.

I guess it's set up, now, but I don't know for sure.  ...think I'll reboot computer & router and see.

Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
erlwebmail
Tutor

Re: Yet again: setting a reserved address on an Orbi

...looks like my fumblings-around might have worked somehow (I was doing it when you replied; thanks for being so speedy), but just in case, I followed your ipconfig/release suggestion, rebooted all, and it came up with the correct reserved address.Thanks.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the one device using a static IP address or is it set for Auto obtain IP addressing?

You might do a ipconfig /release on the PC after ensuring the IP address is set and applied on the RBR. Reboot the RBR once more then reboot the PC after doing the /release command. 

Message 2 of 4
erlwebmail
Tutor

...looks like my fumblings-around might have worked somehow (I was doing it when you replied; thanks for being so speedy), but just in case, I followed your ipconfig/release suggestion, rebooted all, and it came up with the correct reserved address.Thanks.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 
Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7