×

Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973
Reply

Your connection is not private after using router admin

Trikon
Aspirant

Your connection is not private after using router admin

I am running RBR50 with connected RBS50 both running the same firmware V2.7.4.24.  The firmware version is irrelevant since this problem has dogged me since getting the routers.

 

The issue 

After everytime I use my laptop (macbook) to access the router admin, I am faced with the dreaded message.

Your connection is not private

 

I access through my laptop onto one of the satellite routers when using admin.

 

I have not been able to solve this so I have switched off the satellites which is why I bought the system in the first place.  

 

Some forum answers talk about setting the data correctly on the system. Mine is setup to use the Netgear server so date/time is not the issue.

 

Some forum answers talk about specifying https instead of http, it is not this problem.

 

Someone please help me because I am close to throwing the routers into the trash.

I loathe this product and right now would never recommend it.

 

 

 

Message 1 of 15
microchip8
Master

Re: Your connection is not private after using router admin

This has nothing to do with the router. It's your browser notifying you that the URL to the router is not secure when you try to go to it. You don't mention which browser you use. You can try fully clearing browser cache and cookies.
Message 2 of 15

Re: Your connection is not private after using router admin


@Trikon wrote:

I am running RBR50 with connected RBS50 both running the same firmware V2.7.4.24.  The firmware version is irrelevant since this problem has dogged me since getting the routers.

 

The issue 

After everytime I use my laptop (macbook) to access the router admin, I am faced with the dreaded message.

Your connection is not private

 


This is a result of the ever increasing paranoia about security with browser makers. If you are using Apple's own browser, you are even more likely to get this sort of piffle. You are lucky that it hasn't blocked you completely, a fate that has hit other Apple users:

 

NETGEAR Mobile Applications and Apple Devices FAQ - NETGEAR Communities

 

 


Some forum answers talk about specifying https instead of http, it is not this problem.

 


I don't know how you arrived at the conclusion that this is not the problem. How did you work that out?

 

This is why some browsers gag.

 

Websites in the outside world should use https. If you are accessing things on your local network, your router's graphical user interface (GUI) for example, http is safe. But browsers are programmed to object.

 

Of course, if you try to access you router from the outside world, using Anywhere Access for example, https is essential, which is why that is built into the system.

 

User failure to understand how things work has been going on for years. So much so that Netgear added the option to set https as the preferred protocol.

 

In many routers, go to Advanced Setup and look in Web Services Management and the Local Management checkbox.

 

From time to time, someone turns up here screaming about their "broken" router when what they have done is told it to Always Use HTTPS to Access Router. Doing this blocks various things so they usually go back and this turn off.

 


I loathe this product and right now would never recommend it.

 


If you reached that conclusion on the basis of that misleading error message, I fear that you may have to abandon the Internet. What you are describing is a "feature" of modern browsers and routers.

 

Message 3 of 15

Re: Your connection is not private after using router admin


@microchip8 wrote:
You don't mention which browser you use.

Good point.

 

@Trikon mentions using a Macbook. Macs can mean Safari.

 

I forget to mention this in my reply. It adds another layer of complexity. Some Netgear manuals specifically warn that Safari can't be used for some functions, such as Password Recovery.

 

That warning isn't there for newer devices. So either Safari has changed or Netgear has worked out how to handle the issue.

 

 But, as you say, @Trikon's beef nothing to do with the router.

Message 4 of 15
Trikon
Aspirant

Re: Your connection is not private after using router admin

I dont use Safari, I use Chrome.

Message 5 of 15
Trikon
Aspirant

Re: Your connection is not private after using router admin

"I don't know how you arrived at the conclusion that this is not the problem. How did you work that out?"

 

The problem occurs if I enter https URLs directs, I am not trying to access HTTP addresses.

Message 6 of 15
Trikon
Aspirant

Re: Your connection is not private after using router admin

"From time to time, someone turns up here screaming about their "broken" router when what they have done is told it to Always Use HTTPS to Access Router. Doing this blocks various things so they usually go back and this turn off.

 

I loathe this product and right now would never recommend it.

 

If you reached that conclusion on the basis of that misleading error message, I fear that you may have to abandon the Internet. What you are describing is a "feature" of modern browsers and routers."

 

For you informaiton, I find these remarks vaguely condescending and rather dismissive - not really what I was expecting in a help forum. For your information, I have been working in IT since 1985 and have been an internet user since 1994.  I think I can consider myself quite good at problem diagnosis, I may be a software expert but not a networking expert.

 

This problem only occurs immediately after logging on to the router https://10.0.0.1 to add new devices to the network via access control. It does not occur at any other time.  I use the latest version of Chrome. It seems to be a wifi issue because when I connect via wired, I get access fine.  

Message 7 of 15

Re: Your connection is not private after using router admin



@Trikon wrote:

This problem only occurs immediately after logging on to the router https://10.0.0.1 to add new devices to the network via access control.


How many routers do you have on your network?

 

What is the modem/gateway/ONT that connects you to the Internet.

 

I ask because by default Netgear's routers allocate themselves the address 192.168.1.1. They will only go for 10.0.0.1 if they spot a possible conflict. That can happen when someone tries to add a router to a modem/router.

 

Do that and you can end up; with all manner of problems.

 


It seems to be a wifi issue because when I connect via wired, I get access fine.  

All of a sudden we have a different issue, and a different set of details.Again, the problem, appears to be in your network rather than the router.

 

What is it that you really want to fix?

 

In general, the advice from experienced users is to do as much as possible with a wired connection. Wifi is not reliable enough.

Message 8 of 15

Re: Your connection is not private after using router admin


@Trikon wrote:

 

The problem occurs if I enter https URLs directs, I am not trying to access HTTP addresses.


That does not suddenly turn an http link into https.

 

 

Message 9 of 15
microchip8
Master

Re: Your connection is not private after using router admin

Do you trust your own network? If so, there's no reason to use HTTPS. Also, using HTTPS will still throw a warning as the certificates are self-signed and not part of the browser to recognize them.
Message 10 of 15
Trikon
Aspirant

Re: Your connection is not private after using router admin

Q. What is the modem/gateway/ONT that connects you to the Internet?

A. I have full fibre to the property - some kind of fibre to Ethernet modem that I plug into the base router. NOthing there has changed.

 

I ask because by default Netgear's routers allocate themselves the address 192.168.1.1. They will only go for 10.0.0.1 if they spot a possible conflict. That can happen when someone tries to add a router to a modem/router.

 

A. My network is setup to use 10.0.0.xxx, I cant remember why.  I have Access Control nailed down with registered MAC addresses for each known device. I always access the router using the 10.0.0.1 address.

I have one base router and one satellite router in operation presently. My second satellite I am not using currently. Because the satellite is in my office, I would generally use this when accessing the router admin.

 

Interesting, I tried the 192.16.1.1. address and then my device disconnected from the network - quite bizarre.

 

All of a sudden we have a different issue, and a different set of details.Again, the problem, appears to be in your network rather than the router.

A. Barring the physics of wireless communication, surely the network is the router?

 

What is it that you really want to fix?

A. I dont want my laptop locked out of the network and internet access everytime I finsh doing router admin the add ot remove devices in the access control function. I really dont think this is unreasonable.

 

In general, the advice from experienced users is to do as much as possible with a wired connection. Wifi is not reliable enough.

A. This seems like good advice. Perhaps I should also access the base router not a satellite router.

 

 

 

 

Message 11 of 15

Re: Your connection is not private after using router admin


@Trikon wrote:

Q. What is the modem/gateway/ONT that connects you to the Internet?

A. I have full fibre to the property - some kind of fibre to Ethernet modem that I plug into the base router. NOthing there has changed.

 

We still know nothing about the equipment that delivers the Internet to your home.

 

"Some kind of" is not  much help.

 

Not sure what "nothing has changed" is meant to tell us. The network attached to it has changed, if only when you play around with things. That is how the local IP address gets allocated.

 


A. My network is setup to use 10.0.0.xxx, I cant remember why.  I have Access Control nailed down with registered MAC addresses for each known device. I always access the router using the 10.0.0.1 address.

I have one base router and one satellite router in operation presently. My second satellite I am not using currently. Because the satellite is in my office, I would generally use this when accessing the router admin.

 

Two routers on a network is a recipe for chaos.

 

For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every site you will visit.


Message 12 of 15
Trikon
Aspirant

Re: Your connection is not private after using router admin

Really?

 

"Two routers on a network is a recipe for chaos?"

 

Two ORBI Routers - A Base router and a satellite router - it's a mesh network.

 

Message 13 of 15

Re: Your connection is not private after using router admin



@Trikon wrote:

Perhaps I should also access the base router not a satellite router.

 


Yet another previously undisclosed detail.

 

Anything else you haven't thought of telling us before?

 

 

Message 14 of 15

Re: Your connection is not private after using router admin


@Trikon wrote:

Two ORBI Routers - A Base router and a satellite router - it's a mesh network.

 


No it isn't. Mesh means satellites and routers talking to one another to manage wifi links. That communication won't work between two routers.

 

Maybe you have two mesh networks with the same SSID. That's not the same thing as one mesh network.

 

Two routers = trouble.

 

Regardless of their brand and claimed wifi features.

 

If these routers are the same model, then you best bet would be to remove one of them and stick with the satellites.

 

As it is, your two routers will find it impossible to coexist with the same local IP address. Perhaps that is why you have one that is not on the default 192.168.1.1. (I assume that you just made a mistake when you referred to 192.16.1.1.)

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1929 views
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7