Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

disable 2.4ghz on orbi

yafai1
Tutor

disable 2.4ghz on orbi

HELLO

latest softwear 2 orbs less than 30 feet apart signal strength good etc.

slight issues with the orbi currently,

1. 2.4ghz is enabled and i want to disable it

2. im finding that devices are not connecting to the closer orbi 

3. the setup is confusing

anyhelp will be aprechiated

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: disable 2.4ghz on orbi

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. You can disable the 2.4G SSID broadcast here as well. Though it's only recommended to disable this temporarily and not long term.

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@yafai1 wrote:

HELLO

anyhelp will be aprechiated

Message 2 of 25
yafai1
Tutor

firmwear is V2.3.5.30

thick walls around 2500sq feet

both connect so far to each other blue light etc

what connection etc i have no idea i cant even change them

lots of wifi nearby (around 10 max)

Message 3 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

IF you have wifi neighbors, might try setting some manual channels on 2.4Ghz. 

If you disable the 2.4G SSID, let us know if this changes anything. 

Having thick wall could be a factor as well. What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

Message 4 of 25
yafai1
Tutor

how do i actually disable the ssid? its just one ssid? i dont get it but the speed diffrence is significant 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Having thick wall could be a factor as well. What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

nothing to do with the satellite its simply the fact that i cant disable the 2.4ghz? its one big network that selects weather your on 5ghz or 2.4ghz if im right (correct me if im wrong)...trying to simple make the whole network 5ghz we dont need the 2.4ghz. 2.4ghz is an issue bevcause lets say im downstairs and the phone is connected to the orbi downstairs 5ghz i go upstaris its still connected to the orbi downstairs just on 2.4ghz?

trying to disable 2.4ghz to force the phone to switch from the main orbi downstairs to upstarirs without turning my phone wifi on and off which usually solves this issue.

know how do i disable 2.4ghz please (step by step instructions)

Message 5 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I understand that this can be done in the settings/advance.....

The firmware you're currently on has some known issues. -

Was your system working well before the last update?

Message 6 of 25
yafai1
Tutor

just bought it 2 hours ago

Message 7 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@yafai1 wrote:

just bought it 2 hours ago

OK....you can try to troubleshoot it, but with the firmware you're running, you're best bet is to try and download/install earlier version.  Look for the download section here for your router/sats

Message 8 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@yafai1 wrote:

how do i actually disable the ssid? its just one ssid? i dont get it but the speed diffrence is significant 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

nothing to do with the satellite its simply the fact that i cant disable the 2.4ghz? its one big network that selects weather your on 5ghz or 2.4ghz if im right (correct me if im wrong)...trying to simple make the whole network 5ghz we dont need the 2.4ghz. 2.4ghz is an issue bevcause lets say im downstairs and the phone is connected to the orbi downstairs 5ghz i go upstaris its still connected to the orbi downstairs just on 2.4ghz?

trying to disable 2.4ghz to force the phone to switch from the main orbi downstairs to upstarirs without turning my phone wifi on and off which usually solves this issue.

One other item,...when you said..." its just one ssid? i dont get it..."

That's the way a MESH system works.  The Orbi takes both the 2.4 & 5G and combines them into one SSID. When it's working properly, the Orbi decides which device connects where.

Message 9 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

You can disable the 2.4G SSID broadcast by unchecking the "enable 2.4G SSID Broadcast" found under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings.

@yafai1 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Message 10 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You can disable the 2.4G SSID broadcast by unchecking the "enable 2.4G SSID Broadcast" found under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings.

NICE.

Message 11 of 25
yafai1
Tutor

This is tiring. If it was that simple as to just flip a switch I would of have done it. But this **bleep** software is not that user friendly there is no such things as 2.4ghz off/on that mythical switch that you lot are speaking about in the advanced bull **bleep** area just ain't there. If it was I would of have found it long ago which would of have meant that I wouldn't need to post in this community.

Do you lot understand? There is no switch located where you lot have been saying it is. I checked online and there used to be one maybe in a diffrent (older) firmware but today it simply ain't there on the latest firmware and before u say downgrade for the love of god I cant it just upgrades itself. This system is flawed...
Message 12 of 25
CrimpOn
Guru

Maybe this is what people are talking about?  (the check mark box beside "Enable SSID Broadcast")

SSID.JPG

Message 13 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

So you not see:

Advanced Wireless Settings (2.4GHz b/g/n)

Enable SSID Broadcast <check box

?

Message 14 of 25
yafai1
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

So you not see:

Advanced Wireless Settings (2.4GHz b/g/n)

Enable SSID Broadcast <check box

?

that does not do anything? i have a device that only connects to 2.4ghz and it still connects to the wifi network? plus both 2.4ghz and 5ghz and under the same name as in i think they are merged? 

Message 15 of 25
CrimpOn
Guru

Devices are funny about "Hidden Networks".  I may be mistaken, but what I remember is sometimes the device has to be told to "forget" a network.

Message 16 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@yafai1 wrote:

HELLO

Did you ever mention WHY you want to disable the 2.4 band?

Perhaps if you did, the fix would be much more evident.

Message 17 of 25
yafai1
Tutor

Well smart arse it's in this thread read the **bleep**ing thing before u turn all smart on us. Tired of the same old dumb replies.
Message 18 of 25
CrimpOn
Guru

@yafai1 wrote:

that does not do anything? i have a device that only connects to 2.4ghz and it still connects to the wifi network? plus both 2.4ghz and 5ghz and under the same name as in i think they are merged? 

To recap: (a) unchecking the "Enable SSID Broadcast" for 2.4G network, (b) clicking "Appply", (c) telling a 2.4G only device to "forget" the Orbi SSID, and (d) restarting the device.... and the device reconnects to the Orbi anyway?

Message 19 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@yafai1 wrote:
Well smart arse it's in this thread read the **bleep**ing thing before u turn all smart on us. Tired of the same old dumb replies.

2. im finding that devices are not connecting to the closer orbi .  

If this is your reason.....it's NOT.  How devices connect is all about how the Orbi and the Mesh system works.  What's wrong with that?  If you're worried about SPEED, you're chasing rabbits.

OBTW....we're all adults here.  You can use civil and respectable language.  Thanks

Message 20 of 25
BoilerPlate
Apprentice

@vaj you should practice what you preach!!!
Message 21 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@BoilerPlate wrote:
@vajyou should practice what you preach!!!

How so?

Message 22 of 25
PittsSC1
Initiate

Smiley HappyOne might want do disable 2.4 GHz so they simply always use 5 GHz. Smiley Happy  Is not that reason enough?

Message 23 of 25
CrimpOn
Guru

@PittsSC1 wrote:

One might want do disable 2.4 GHz so they simply always use 5 GHz.:  Is not that reason enough?

Of course it's a good reason. Someone might want (a) to be unable to connect any of the "Internet of Things" devices that only support 2.4G, (b) to have their WiFi signal drop out when they wander too far for 5G to penetrate while 2.4G would keep them on-line.  Netgear could have made discussions like this unnecessary if they had simply added a check box, "Turn off radio" for each band. Smiley LOL

Message 24 of 25
Tucsonbroker
Initiate

You can’t disable the 2.4 radio but you could rename the 5G band to something else. Then have your devices forget the 2.4G info and login into the 5G. The instructions are here on the forum, telnet into the router it’s pretty simple to do.
Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7