× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: does anyone experience "Could not determine IPv4/IPv6 protocol" issue when start OpenV

samriver
Aspirant

does anyone experience "Could not determine IPv4/IPv6 protocol" issue when start OpenVPN client

I encountered this issue when configuring OpenVPN client in another computer trying to connect ORBI VPN Service. I tried DDNS using netgear.com, and no-ip.com, I got the same issue. This error message means it cannot connect to the server, but why?

Thank you for your help

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: does anyone experience "Could not determine IPv4/IPv6 protocol" issue when start OpenV

Exactly which version of OpenVPN Client is installed on the Windows PC?

How is the test being conducted? (phone Hot Spot? Going to a another network?)

Can you please check that the Orbi router has a 'public' IP address from the Internet Service Provider?

i.e. the IP address reported on the Advanced Tab Internet Port box is the same as the IP address reported by one of the "What is my IP address?" web sites.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 10

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Please confirm that:

• OpenVPN has been configured on the Orbi router. (which specific model of Orbi please?)
  • The computer which is running the OpenVPN  client is not connected to the Orbi system during this test.

It would be helpful to attach the OpenVPN client log file (after Xing out the DDNS name)

Message 2 of 10
samriver
Aspirant

Thank you for prompt response.

my model is Orbi RBR20. 

I tried to configure DDNS using myname.mynetgear.com, however, this option requires port-forwarding on no-ip.com, I cannot make port-forwarding work for some reason. then I changed to no-ip.com, which does not require a port forwarding, however, after I download and import the configuration file on openvpn client side, I could not got a response back from the server.

any idea how to fix this?

Thank you

Message 3 of 10
samriver
Aspirant

I check the log info on client side, it has no any logging info toher than "Warning: No server certificate verification method has been enabled...."

Message 4 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Exactly which version of OpenVPN Client is installed on the Windows PC?

How is the test being conducted? (phone Hot Spot? Going to a another network?)

Can you please check that the Orbi router has a 'public' IP address from the Internet Service Provider?

i.e. the IP address reported on the Advanced Tab Internet Port box is the same as the IP address reported by one of the "What is my IP address?" web sites.

Message 5 of 10
samriver
Aspirant

yes, I tested using phone hotspot and the VPN client version is 2.6.10-1003.

There is no public ip address on internet port. I believe this is the problem, any idea how to work around it?

Thank you

Message 6 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

The Orbi router having a private IP address is often because the Internet Service Provider (ISP) device is a combination device (modem, router, WiFi).  It is really common for ISPs to deliver such devices at installation so that customers "Have a working home network" immediately when service is established.

There are a number of methods to address this issue.

First choice would be for the ISP to replace their device with a "simple modem". (This is what I did with Spectrum.) Most ISPs publish a list of modems which are guaranteed to function on their network.  It is quite common for customers to purchase their own modem.  (Is the ISP charges a monthly fee for the modem, then the break-even time to recover the cost can be fairly short.)

Next  tactic is to put the ISP device into "bridge" or "passthrough" mode, which disabled all of its router functions and assigns the public IP address directly to the customer device.  Instructions for doing this can often be found by contacting the ISP or from the ISPs customer forum.

Next tactic is to create a Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) on the ISP device and place the Orbi router into the DMZ.  Once again, instructions vary by modem.

The tactic that will not work for OpenVPN is to place the Orbii router into Access Point (AP) mode.  This is because AP mode disabled all of the router functions on the Orbi, including OpenVPN.

Message 7 of 10
samriver
Aspirant

I got this issue resolved. 

So what I did was turned the IPS router into a modem and assigned the public ip address to the ORBI router. and download and imported the files into OpenVPN client, and it works.

Thank you for pointing to the right direction.

Regards

John

Message 8 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Great.  Glad the option was available to you.  If you mark the discussion "Solved" this may help other users with similar situations.

Message 9 of 10
samriver
Aspirant

Yup, already did.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series