Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

how to use Orbi RBK23 with 110v only in 240v countries

utut7
Aspirant

how to use Orbi RBK23 with 110v only in 240v countries

Hi all,

i bought the Orbi RBK23 end of April and just opened it yesterday (just arrived home from a long travel). the intention was to use it outside USA but unfortunately the AC/DC adapter is not dual voltage. It only works with (100-120V)- 50/60Hz (as written on the adapter). The output voltage is 12.0V, 1.5 A.

My questions:

Can i use a local AC/DC adapter with 240V and ouput of 12V, 2A?

Would it harm the router and sattelites?

What to look for when purchasing a local adapter if it works?

Thanks

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: how to use Orbi RBK23 with 110v only in 240v countries

@utut7 wrote:

There have been numerous posts indicating that Orbi power supply is a "universal" model and works fine in countries with higher voltage with a converter plug.  It certainly would not hurt to plug it in and use a voltage meter to measure the output voltage.  If it measures 12v, you should be "good to go."

More amps is never a problem.  The device will draw only as much as it needs.  Not enough amps will not work.

The KEY item is the actual plug dimensions that have to match.  Some universal power supplies come with an assortment of tips.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@utut7 wrote:

There have been numerous posts indicating that Orbi power supply is a "universal" model and works fine in countries with higher voltage with a converter plug.  It certainly would not hurt to plug it in and use a voltage meter to measure the output voltage.  If it measures 12v, you should be "good to go."

More amps is never a problem.  The device will draw only as much as it needs.  Not enough amps will not work.

The KEY item is the actual plug dimensions that have to match.  Some universal power supplies come with an assortment of tips.

Message 2 of 5
Mstrbig
Master

If you do not already have one you could pick up a power travel adapter and that will solve your problem. There are many to choose from, pretty inexpensive and probaly cheaper than a 240V power supply.

Message 3 of 5
utut7
Aspirant

Agree with you. It is labelled as 110V but actually it is universal. I plugged it in and used an old router i had with same output rating and worked fine. No explosion. Thanks

Message 4 of 5
jonathanlake
Aspirant

My power supply burnt out and the orbi was outputting slow speeds.

I'm using a 110 240 converter until I get a new supply 12 240.

I'll let you guys know how it works out.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7