× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: one unknown device in device manager cannot be paused...WHY?

snoopytwo
Aspirant

one unknown device in device manager cannot be paused...WHY?

there is one unknown device connected to my orbi mesh wi-fi that does not give me the option to pause. i don't know what this device is (the 4A:5A:8C:D9:8E:F6 mac address search yields no results) and i do NOT want to reset my password as that would be a royal PIA to change on all my dozens of wireless devices. i just wanted to pause this device so i could figure out if it was mine or not but it is the only device in my app's device manager that does not give me the option to pause/resume (see screenshot below). any ideas? thanks.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
snoopytwo
Aspirant

SOLVED!

the reason i could not pause was because the "unknown device" was the phone i was running the app on! for whatever reason, the orbi's mac address and the mac address my phone was telling me were different.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

I agree.  This mac address does not appear to belong to any recognized vendor.  Very strange.

What does the Orbi web interface "Attached Devices" page show about this device?

Just in general, I find that those of us who watch this forum do not spend a lot of time with the Orbi "app".

There is an entire forum devoted to the app, where someone with more experience may be able to offer suggestions.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app 

Message 2 of 6
snoopytwo
Aspirant

oh man, i totally forgot i could login using my browser. THANK YOU! the web interface allowed me to block it.

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Glad it worked.  Please mark the problem "solved".

With the "mystery MAC", I would give a shiny new nickle to know what the heck this device is.

Message 4 of 6
snoopytwo
Aspirant

SOLVED!

the reason i could not pause was because the "unknown device" was the phone i was running the app on! for whatever reason, the orbi's mac address and the mac address my phone was telling me were different.

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Some devices are configured to "randomize" their MAC address as a security measure. Drive me bonkers when I was trying to allocate IP addresses and every time the device restarted it had a different MAC address. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7