Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

orbi cbk 40? and 2.4 smart appliance

bha19
Aspirant

orbi cbk 40? and 2.4 smart appliance

I thinh I have the Orbi cbk 40 and just bought a smart kitchen appliance that only works on 2.4 band. the problem is when I try to log in on the kitchen device it say incorrect password/refuse to connect. is there a way for Orbi to recognize this appliance since it does not work on 5.0 band?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
bha19
Aspirant

Re: orbi cbk 40? and 2.4 smart appliance

Guest network seems to have worked although it said bad network it booted up.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this. Turn OFF the RBS. Then the power output of the 5Ghz radio to 25%. Be sure that 20/40 MHz Coexistence enabled. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. Then connect your mobile device at a distance from the RBR to ensure the mobile phone keeps connected to the 2.4Ghz radio. After you get the IoT device connected, re-configure the system back to where it was. 

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@bha19 wrote:

when I try to log in on the kitchen device it say incorrect password/refuse to connect. is there a way for Orbi to recognize this appliance since it does not work on 5.0 band?

Incorrect password sounds pretty definite.  "I see the WiFi system, but when I attempt to connect it rejects my password."

I often fumble when keying passwords into tiny phone screens, and I HATE it when the app does not actually display what I have entered (shows dots instead) and I cannot verify it was entered correctly.

Would you mind sharing what this kitchen appliance is?

Message 3 of 6
bha19
Aspirant

it is called a Tokit. It is also not 5g compatible. i also have a smart oven and that connects with no problem.

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Fascinating that I am totally unable to find any sort of installation or user manual on the web site.

Good old Google found a User Manual here: https://www.manua.ls/tokit/omni-cook/manual 

Unlike so many Internet of Things (IoT) devices which use a smartphone app for setup, this Tokit gizmo has the user make a WiFi selection on the screen and physically enter the password.

As the device has only a 2.4G WiFi chip, it can detect only 2.4G WiFi networks.  Thus if the Tokit shows the Orbi WiFi Service Set IDentifier (SSID), it must have detected the Orbi 2.4G network.  None of the typical smartphone app "requires 2.4G problems" would seem to apply.

Also, the CBK40 system is WiFi5 (802.11ac), so the issue that affects some IoT devices when connected to WiFi6 systems is also not a factor.

Is there anything unusual about the WiFi password? 

I would be tempted to enable Guest WiFi on the CBK40 and give it a very simple password, maybe something like "tokitsucks", and see if it will connect.

Message 5 of 6
bha19
Aspirant

Guest network seems to have worked although it said bad network it booted up.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7