Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

orbi rbr vpn set up. shows connected but cant access lan machines or internet

coffeeking
Aspirant

orbi rbr vpn set up. shows connected but cant access lan machines or internet

Im trying to set up the VPN on my orbi rbr50 mesh system.  I can get open vpn to say connected when i have my laptop on a hotspot.  however i cant ping any device including the router by ip or name.  ipconfig /all shows its connected and getting an IP under the tap v9 device and it has the correct default gateway.  the ip range its getting on the phone hotspot is different.  I'm new to this so on the choices between udp/tcp and port # on tun tap mode service I left on the default settings

I did check the "All sites on the Internet & Home Network" option.  Thanks for any help you can provide.  Will I need to enable port forwarding to rdp to my desktop on the lan?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: orbi rbr vpn set up. shows connected but cant access lan machines or internet

@coffeeking wrote:

Will I need to enable port forwarding to rdp to my desktop on the lan?

Absolutely not. The entire point of OpenVPN is to reach the Orbi LAN without opening specific ports.

Some things to verify.

• Once the laptop reports "connected" using the phone hotspot,
    the laptop should appear on the Orbi Attached Devices page. Does it?
  • The desktop must be set to allow rdp and ping (ICMP).
    Windows firewall default is to deny connections.
  • Make sure the laptop can ping and rdp when connected to the local LAN before trying OpenVPN.
    (You probably did this.)
  • Yes, the IP the laptop gets from the hotspot provides a way to reach the internet.
    OpenVPN creates a tunnel through this connection, which results in an IP on the Orbi LAN.
Message 2 of 4
coffeeking
Aspirant

Re: orbi rbr vpn set up. shows connected but cant access lan machines or internet

ok, good idea, i should have checked that.  I just rebooted and reconnected and it was showing connect via vpn in the router. I can now access everything as expected. 

One last question, if i want to try importing the config file to my iphone, it looks like i need to combine the config file with the key and/or certificate files.  Any idea how to do that

thanks again!

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

There are three buttons to download VPN config files. (windows, nonwindows, smart_phone).

The smart_phone.zip file has everything in one file.)

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7