× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

port forwarding to access an IP remotely, for a n00b

Ameetcam
Follower

port forwarding to access an IP remotely, for a n00b

Hi, 

I'm on a steep learning curve, so hope someone can help. 

All I want to do is access an IP camera remotely from my browser at work. 

So I've been told this is not possible by netgear telephone support? They seemed to think I needed to contact my IP cam support? 

I think it is possible, and have done the following. 

1. opened port 85 via the advanced setup panel and assigned the internal IP address of the camera to it. I selected TCP/UDP, and use same port for internal port. 

2. registered for NO-IP via the orbi advanced setup tab. and am running their dynamic updater

3. gone to portchecker.com to check whether the port is oprn- and I get a message that the port is not detectable. So I presume something in my port opening procedure has gone wrong. 

Do I need to go into my IP cam's setup and assign the camera to a fixed IP and different port? I think its on port 80. Sorry if thats a really obvious question, but I've just started learning!

thanks in advance

A

Message 1 of 2
st_shaw
Master

Re: port forwarding to access an IP remotely, for a n00b

The port you forward must be the same port the IP camera is operating on.  If the camera uses port 80, then you need to forward port 80.  Or, you need to use port translation--specify port 85 as the external port and specify port 80 as the internal port. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7