Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Devices not connected to satellites - RBK753

rcmack
Aspirant

Devices not connected to satellites - RBK753

Today I have noticed two issues with my Orbi RBK753 system with a router and two satellites. 

1. I connected by old TP-Link Archer AC2800 via ethernet to one of the satellites, disabled DHCP and wireless so that I could connect a hard drive to act as a NAS. The drive works fine and I can connect to it remotely, but the Orbi satellite it is connected to now shows no devices connected to it in the app GUI, but I am pretty sure devices are connected to it. 

2. I updated the two Orbi satellites to firmware 3.2.18.1 to match the router and now all of my devices in the house are connected to the router only. The satellites show up and running and the status is GOOD but no devices are connected to them regardless of how close they are to them. I have an outdoor Ring camera which now has a weak connection because it is not connecting to the Satellite it is near. 

When I login directly to the satellite via the IP address, it shows connected devices but not in the app or when I am connected to the router. 

I am a novice at this so any help would be appreciated. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Devices not connected to satellites - RBK753

Did you power off both RBR and RBS after updating FW for 30 seconds then back ON? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you power off both RBR and RBS after updating FW for 30 seconds then back ON? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 7
titaniumrx8
Apprentice

My rbr753 router is on a ups, the satellites are not. When we experience a power hit that causes the satellites to reboot, in the minutes that the satellites are offline, all the devices in the house will connect to the router. If I do nothing, the devices will start to migrate back to the satellites eventually. If I want to speed things up, I reboot the devices and they'll immediately connect to the closest source of WiFi.
Message 3 of 7
rcmack
Aspirant

@titaniumrx8 @FURRYe38 

Thanks for your replies. The house is about 1500 sq ft over 3 floors and i had seen devices connected to the different satellites previously. 

Rebooted the router a few times over 2 days and it looks like that has fixed the issue. I am now seeing all devices spread across the routers. I was seeing it if I connected directly to the satellite, but now I can see it in the app as well. 

thanks for your help. 

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear.

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves tine if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Please mark your thread and solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. 

Message 5 of 7
rcmack
Aspirant

thanks for the advice, I've saved a backup. Cheers. 

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements