Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK752 - AX4200 doesn't rejoin the internet when the internet goes down.

FooC
Aspirant

RBK752 - AX4200 doesn't rejoin the internet when the internet goes down.

Couple times a day I lose the internet. When my music stops I'll load a page and more often than not I get 'Could not find DNS server'. I'm convinced it's my ISP dropping service for whatever reason. (disclosure: Google Fiber is coming into my city so I think my ISP isn't doing any maintenance?) 

I usually get the internet back in 30 seconds or so. Sometimes I have to reset my adaptor but mostly not. It's very rare that I have to reboot the router.

I just added an RBK752 - AX4200 (less than a month ago) and it works just fine until I lose internet. I get a red bar and the router is offline. Expected. 

The problem is it doesn't automatically reconnect. It's offline until I unplug it.

Is there a way to solve for this?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: RBK752 - AX4200 doesn't rejoin the internet when the internet goes down.

No, I don't think it's dumb to segment your guests traffic with 2 routers vs. depending solely on the Orbi's built-in guest network protections.  While Double NAT can cause issues for some setups, particularly with some games and such, many people do run with it just fine.  Your setup should still work and hopefully your Orbi upstream disconnects and reconnect problems are not just due to Double NAT.

However, to verify if the Double NAT is the cause you should try removing it and see if that resolves what you're experiencing.  That experiment can prove if we should look elsewhere from Double NAT for your issue.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8

All Replies
FooC
Aspirant

Also this:

The RBK752 sits behind a Motorola modem/router combo. About two years old. Docsis compliant. It's that router that I have to reboot once in awhile.

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 3 of 8
FooC
Aspirant

This is good stuff. Thank you. The reason I have the Orbi connected to the router is because I run an AirBnB off of it. I have a Ubiquity WAP coming off the same Motorola modem/router combo and I connect all my personal stuff to that, and then my guests connect to the Orbi. This arrangement puts my stuff on 192.168.01 and my guests on 192.168.1.1

Dumb?

I try to keep all of my business 'stuff' separate from personal. I host 200 guests a year and if someone does something 'stupid' on my internet connection it's on my business and not personal. 

Could I achieve the same desired outcome with your option 3?

Could I achieve the same desired outcome if I got a Netgear modem (with no built in router), attached the Orbi to it and attached the WAP to the Orbi?

Message 4 of 8
Mikey94025
Hero

No, I don't think it's dumb to segment your guests traffic with 2 routers vs. depending solely on the Orbi's built-in guest network protections.  While Double NAT can cause issues for some setups, particularly with some games and such, many people do run with it just fine.  Your setup should still work and hopefully your Orbi upstream disconnects and reconnect problems are not just due to Double NAT.

However, to verify if the Double NAT is the cause you should try removing it and see if that resolves what you're experiencing.  That experiment can prove if we should look elsewhere from Double NAT for your issue.

Message 5 of 8
FooC
Aspirant

Thank you for your response.

I actually did set the Orbi up as an AP yesterday and so far no interruptions. And I still technically segment my guests because they log into the Orbi (as a WAP now) and I log into my Ubiquity WAP (but both are on 192.168.0.1 now)

So far so good. Will report back if any interruptions arise.

Message 6 of 8
FooC
Aspirant

There is one issue though. I can no longer use orbilogin.com/net on a browser anymore. Even when using a different browser where it isn't cached. I haven't rebooted anything since converting to AP however.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Use the IP address of the RBR in AP mode to access it's web page. If you used Dynamic IP addressing for AP mode, look at the host routers connected devices table to find the IP address that was given to the RBR in AP mode. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7