Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 showing 2 domains out of the box

t_tr
Aspirant

RBR850 showing 2 domains out of the box

Just installed RBR850 / (2) RBS850 and seeing 2 IP strings under Attached Devices including 192.168.1.xx and 192.168.2.xx. The router was configured for DHCP. Called Netgear support who suggested changing the channel for the main network (I assume to test that it can support a change). Upon doing so the main network never recovered while the Guest network is the only functioning connection to the router. I am unable to access the admin screen to login from App or web browser on either 192.168.2.1 / 192.168.1.1. Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR850 showing 2 domains out of the box

Please post a screen capture of what your seeing. Use the Choose File button on your next post. 

192.168.1.1 is for the main netowrk. 192.168.2.1 is for Guest WiFi Network. 

Message 2 of 11
t_tr
Aspirant

Unfortunately, I cannot login to do a screen capture.

Message 3 of 11
t_tr
Aspirant

I was hoping to not have to reset to factory defaults but i dont see a path forward without it. Please let me know if there is an alternative. If not, thanks for taking the time to assist me here. 

Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

RBRs web page is at 192.168.1.1 unless you have a upstream router infront of it using 192.168.1.1 then the RBR will auto change to 10.0.0.1. 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Do this, disconnect the RBR from the host router or ISP Modem/ONT. 

Press the reset button in back for 15 seconds then release. 

With 1 wired PC connected to the RBR, after the front LED pulsates WHITE, with a web browser access 192.168.1.1. 

Message 5 of 11
t_tr
Aspirant

@FURRYe38I followed your instructions and identified a few issues along the way. First is that changing the 5 GHz channel from 48 to 44 causes my router to crash and requires a reset to factory defaults to recover. The other item is that i was previously using similar main and guest account SSID's. For example, bobs-truck and bobs-truck-g. This seems to cause inconsistencies with the guest network showing up as bobs-truck-g AND Netgear-guest, both accepting the same password. Multiple devices saw both until I changed the guest network SSID to something completely different.

Looks like my router is running v4.6.3.16_2.0.51 and no newer firmware appears to be available for download.

I dont have a modem I can access. My router connects via Cat5e to the fiber from the service provider.

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Not sure why chaning channels would do that. What do you mean crashing when you change the channels? What are you seeing when this happens? 

Something you might do, take wired PC and download v16 FW file for the RBR and re-load the file on to the RBRs web page. Do this with the RBS turn OFF. Use MS Edge or Firefox browser. Send the FW file to the RBR. After the RBR is back to ready, do one more factory reset and setup from scratch. Skip the part of adding RBS. Use the same SSID name and PW for the main wifi network. Don't enable Guest Network just yet. Try changing channels to 48 and see what happens. 

Message 7 of 11
t_tr
Aspirant

When the Netgear Tech support person changed the 5GHz channel from 48 to 44 it never recovered on the restart. I replicated the same situation doing it as well. Essentially, what i mean by "crashing" is that the 5 GHz network is offline, admin access is offline from the App or browser and only the 2.4 GHz guest network functions after the restart. 

Message 8 of 11
t_tr
Aspirant

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. 

Ok, I'll try this on mine after work today and see if I can get the same thing to happen...

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

So checking my 850 yesterday, I see that channels 40 thru 48 work. No crashing or wifi not being enabled after the change. 

I still notice that when selecting channel 36, the scanning app and router still reports using 40. NG did something last year that made using 36 to only work on 40 even though 36 was selected. Someone mentioned something to me about 36 not working well for Orbi AX systems and was not recommended to use channel 36. Smiley Embarassed

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7