Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi 7 Wired backhaul and Aruba 6100 Managed switch

gvlierop
Aspirant

Orbi 7 Wired backhaul and Aruba 6100 Managed switch

Hi All,

I just received my brand new Orbi Wifi 7 Router and 3 satellites.
I set the satellites up first in wireless backhaul after updating to the latest firmware (v9.12.2.1) on all devices. Took some time to get all connected but after about 20 minutes the whole set was up & running but the I wanted to connect two of the satellites on a wired backhaul.
I use a Aruba 6100 switch and connected the router and the satellites (cat6) but they no matter what, they do not connect.
Tried almost 😉 everything but only a wireless connection works.

Is there anybody with a similar problem or maybe a solution?

Thanks for your wise words 😁

Ger

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

That's a smart switch, aka, managed so no. 

Any switch with characters after the ### in the model name is a smart/managed switch or having some form of management user interface with features that can be changed. 

The MS105 of that series is non managed so could work. I don't have this model. My XS505M and GS110MX are non-managed switches and work. The GS110MX seem to be the only series with characters after the model number that's not a managed or smart switch. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 13

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to connect up a non managed switch in between the RBR and RBS. There is a known issue with managed switches causing problems with RBS ethernet connected on the 970 series system which NG is already aware of. No idea when that will be fixed. NG GS-105/108v4 and GS308v3, D-Link DGS-105/108 and HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series switches work for Orbi systems. XS505M and GS110MX work great with the 9 series. MS105(2.5Gb Non managed)

Message 2 of 13
gvlierop
Aspirant

Hi , thx for the info.

So iI understand right that any unmanaged switch will work with the Oribi 970 serie?

Do you know if the Net Gear ProSafe MS510TX will work also?

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

That's a smart switch, aka, managed so no. 

Any switch with characters after the ### in the model name is a smart/managed switch or having some form of management user interface with features that can be changed. 

The MS105 of that series is non managed so could work. I don't have this model. My XS505M and GS110MX are non-managed switches and work. The GS110MX seem to be the only series with characters after the model number that's not a managed or smart switch. 

Message 4 of 13
gvlierop
Aspirant

Ok Thx again.

I just ordered a GS110MX.
It has just enough ports and is 5-10Gb speed so I'm prepared for the future when my Fiber will be upgraded.

Still a pity that NG doesn't mention this before people buy such an expensive Mesh Wifi7 solution.

Kind Regards,

Ger

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

I think it's something that crept in and didn't catch it soon enough. Hopefully NG will get this fixed. 

Ya, the GS100MX is handy for sure. 

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 13
gvlierop
Aspirant

Catch up:

After connecting alle the Orbi stuff to the new non-managed hubs everything went fine and two satellites are ethernet connected.
I also asked Netgear Support to put me on the list when there is a new firmware that fixes the problem.

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad to hear.

Ya, will be on the look out as well. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 8 of 13
jabenedicic
Tutor

Would be really curious to hear about what you experienced with the Aruba managed switch, I’ve been troubleshooting a similar issue in the 960 series with netgear for a while now (have a session with engineering coming up).

I have the NG MS510TXM switches so slightly different but still managed. I’ve found that the APs work with wired backhaul, you just can’t see them in the management interface at all, and they don’t seem to sync settings properly. But if you get them sync’d up over the wireless backhaul and then plug them in, they do kind of work.

It’s Interesting albeit disappointing to see the same behaviour still exists in the 970’s, that was my next hope to upgrade and resolve the issue. But hey guess it’s one more thing for engineering to look at as a common cause.
Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Wired backhaul is broke if a managed switch is in the mix. I've tested this one as well with my NG108T switch. Horrible RBS behaviors are seen, WEB UI and Orbi app do not work right for the RBS.  Nothing will connect to the RBS. Guest Network breaks as well. 

NG is already aware of the issue. Hoping they will fix it soon. 

Message 10 of 13
gvlierop
Aspirant

Yep, all the same with mine.
Also the Webui and App are  v e  r   y   s l o  w   w or need to be restarted to see stuff.

Come on NG, fix this soon please.

We pay enough money for your products compared to the competition like TP-Link.

Message 11 of 13
jabenedicic
Tutor

You using it in AP or Router mode? Which port did you have connected to the switch?

In my testing I couldn’t get wired backhaul to work in AP mode at all regardless of what type of switch (just going back through my notes), tested it with both MS510TXM and GS308.

In Router mode I could get the wired backhaul to work across both switches, but with the managed switch I had some issues getting DHCP to work via the wired backhaul.

I have a suspicion it’s related to AP mode, but that’s only anecdotal based on the testing and debug work I’ve done with NG support so far. I have a remote session with engineering coming up hopefully in the next week or so, maybe that will be useful.
Message 12 of 13
gvlierop
Aspirant

It was in AP mode. Tried all ports 😉 
With the managed switches it just didn't work. After connecting non-managed switches, all workes fine for me for now.

Just waiting for NG to solve the managed switch problem.

Only the one satellite that is on Wifi backhaul sometimes needs to reconnect en sync. Don't know why its doing this resymc? Maybe channel switching?

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7