× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi 970 Constant Reboots

mhbare
Apprentice

Orbi 970 Constant Reboots

Is anyone else still having issues with Orbi 970 continually rebooting at random times?  I have no Pixel 8 to cause problems, and I am running on the latest 9.10.4.1 firmware.  I've done multiple resets to factory defaults and manually reloaded software.  I have been dealing with support since 12/26/23 and am still having significant issues.  

Any suggestions?  This is just ridiculous.

Message 1 of 50

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Re: Orbi 970 Constant Reboots

Nice. I think we can call this solved. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

View solution in original post

Message 50 of 50

All Replies
JWS9518
Apprentice

Hi

I know you said you have done factory resets and all that, but after doing a factory reset have you unplugged all the sats and router along with the modem for 30 seconds to a minute.  That may clear out any residue issues from the cache memory.

Message 2 of 50
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 
How many RBS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR📡 and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

️Does this happen with the RBS turned OFF? 
Does this happen with both wireless and wired devices? 
What channel configurations are currently set on the router?  

@mhbare wrote:

Is anyone else still having issues with Orbi 970 continually rebooting at random times?  I have no Pixel 8 to cause problems, and I am running on the latest 9.10.4.1 firmware.  I've done multiple resets to factory defaults and manually reloaded software.  I have been dealing with support since 12/26/23 and am still having significant issues.  

Any suggestions?  This is just ridiculous.

Message 3 of 50
mhbare
Apprentice

Thanks for responding.  I have done this, and issues still occur.  

Message 4 of 50
mhbare
Apprentice

Thanks for the information.  I've supplied all of this info to customer support with distances, drawings of placement of router and satellites, etc.  I've also provided logs from router, satellites, etc.  I've been waiting on a response from engineering on issues, but at the same time, I'm trying to work through the issue versus sitting around waiting on them to provide a response.

Message 5 of 50
plemans
Guru

Any other wifi 7 devices?

Have you noticed a pattern of it happening when a different device tries to connect?

With wifi 7 being draft (finalized but not updated yet) it could be something causing a loop. It could be a PITA to figure out which device is causing it. 

Message 6 of 50
FURRYe38
Guru

Please provide us with feedback to the questions presented here so we can better get an idea of what your system environment is and we can better help you out.

@mhbare wrote:

Thanks for the information.  I've supplied all of this info to customer support with distances, drawings of placement of router and satellites, etc.  I've also provided logs from router, satellites, etc.  I've been waiting on a response from engineering on issues, but at the same time, I'm trying to work through the issue versus sitting around waiting on them to provide a response.

Message 7 of 50
mhbare
Apprentice

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Calix Gigapoint 801G

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 

Using cable that came with router.  I assume it's good.  All other cables are Cat6A.

How many RBS are deployed? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

What is the distance between the router and  satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR  and RBS️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 

T‌‌here are 30-40+ between router and satellites.  They are all on different floors in house.  Old Orbi had 4 satellites with no issues.

️Does this happen with the RBS turned OFF? 

I have not tried this.  Will test this weekend.

Does this happen with both wireless and wired devices? 

Yes

I am using default configurations.  I haven't changed anything other than the Wi-Fi network name from the default to the name I've used for 10+ years.

Message 8 of 50
mhbare
Apprentice

I have not noticed any pattern or operation that causes it.  As far as WiFi 7 devices go there is only one on my network currently.  I have turned it off and issue still occurs.  Right now it is wired versus wifi.

Message 9 of 50
FURRYe38
Guru

CAT6A STP is recommended between the ONT and RBR. 

Does the ONT or your ISP use DHCP or PPPoE for the connection of the router to the ISP service? 

Does the front LED turn on PINK when this happens>?

Keep an eye on the system uptime and CPU usage on the RBR debug page: RBR IP address/debug.htm

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? "30-40+" is this in feet that you mentioned this value?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 10 of 50
mhbare
Apprentice

I'll purchase and replace the one that came with router.

Does the ONT or your ISP use DHCP or PPPoE for the connection of the router to the ISP service? 

I believe my ISP is DHCP.  How do I confirm this?

Only on satellites.

Keep an eye on the system uptime and CPU usage on the RBR debug page: RBR IP address/debug.htm

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? "30-40+" is this in feet that you mentioned this value?

Sorry it's in feet.

2.4Ghz is AUTO, 5Ghz is 40

Yes, multiple times.

Message 11 of 50
FURRYe38
Guru

@mhbare wrote:

I'll purchase and replace the one that came with router.

I believe my ISP is DHCP.  How do I confirm this?

Confirm with the ISP on what they use.

Only on satellites.

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? "30-40+" is this in feet that you mentioned this value?

Sorry it's in feet.

For this size of home, the RBR and just one RBS would be needed. Lets turn OFF one of the RBS temporarily. 

2.4Ghz is AUTO, 5Ghz is 40

Yes, multiple times.

Message 12 of 50
mhbare
Apprentice

Still need to confirm ISP question, but after removing one of the satellites, router has rebooted twice in 4 hours.

Message 13 of 50
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to try, turn OFF the other RBS as well. See if the RBR still reboots. 

Please post the ISP information when you can. 

Message 14 of 50
mhbare
Apprentice

Yes I have unplugged both router and satellites to clear cache.

Message 15 of 50
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok and please let us know about the ISP configuration when you can. 

Message 16 of 50
mhbare
Apprentice

Router still re-boots with no satellites attached.  2 re-boots in 2 hours.

Message 17 of 50
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for checking...

I'll see if we can get you some beta FW.

Please let us know about the ISP configuration as well. 

Message 18 of 50
mhbare
Apprentice

Thanks.  I've sent email to technical support at ISP.  I haven't found anything online with any specs other than speed.  ISP is Nextlight.

Residential - NextLight (mynextlight.com)

Message 19 of 50
mhbare
Apprentice

Anyone know when a new firmware release will be forth coming?  I'm still seeing re-boots between 4 and 6 a day.

Message 20 of 50
FURRYe38
Guru

Not yet. NG doesn't post that to us.

Can you find out if your ISP uses DHCP or PPPoE for there configuration? 

Message 21 of 50
mhbare
Apprentice

Sorry called them versus email.  As I thought they use DHCP.

Message 22 of 50
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for confirming. 

Message 23 of 50
mhbare
Apprentice

I can't believe that Netgear would release a product with some many issues.  This community is full of folks having issues with this new 970.  Support outside of this community is almost non-existent. I waited almost 2 weeks for a response from engineering and the response was we can't use the debug logs we helped you setup and extract and to remove a device that appeared to be causing a possible problem.  Unplugged the device (Lacrosse Clock Weather Station) and I've had 2 restarts since removing it.  

This firmware (or product) is complete crap.

Message 24 of 50
mhbare
Apprentice

I’m sick of the multiple reboots daily and the annoying reboots in middle of meetings or streaming events.  

when are we getting an update to fix this crap?

Message 25 of 50
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 49 replies
  • 15 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series