Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: I am having the worst disconnection problems imaginable

Echostorm
Guide

My 2.4 Ghz Devices are unusable they constantly disconnect!  I even bought MORE satellites so that I now have 4 satellites so my IoT coverage is impeccable HOWEVER this has made things worse as satellites compete for better connections to my MyQ garage door opener so much so that they hand off to each other and each handoff takes like 5-10 minutes for the connection to reset, only to instantly lose it.  Ironically my garage door opener is "roaming" via satellites and I can see it connect and drop.  Netgear we need to improve the 970 Orbi connectivity - I never had this problems with 3 satellites and my 860 Orbi's!

Message 1 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

What devices do you have connected in total?

What channel configurations are currently set on the router?  Try channel 6 and 40 or 44.

Are you using the separate IoT network for the IoT devices? 

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 17
Straq
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @Echostorm ,

Can you please enable IoT Network with 2.4GHz only.  Please note any devices connected to your IoT Network will be able to communicate with your main network. Main network uses WPA2/WPA3 security which might cause issues. IoT Network has WPA2 security which has help many customer with their IoT issues. 

You can do this by going to your router admin login page. Go to wireless setting and enable IoT. Make sure it is a different SSID than your current main network.

Ex)

Main Network SSID: "Wireless 1"

IoT Network SSID: "Wireless 2"

You can also instead move the Main Network SSID to the IoT Network so that you do not have to reconnect your IoT devices. Make sure to rename your Main Network SSID to something else.

Ex) Before: 

Main Network SSID: "Wireless 1"

IoT Network SSID: "Wireless 2"

After:

Main Network SSID: "Wireless 2"

IoT Network SSID: "Wireless 1"

Message 3 of 17
Echostorm
Guide

Sorry to clarify all my 2.4 GHz are already on a dedicated IoT network channel 11 (there’s an issue with Sonos speakers on other channels), what I noticed from my garage door opener is that it treats the IoT network the same even though there are 5 of the same IoT network in range, when it decides to roam between the satellites (I can see it connecting in the Orbi app) to the one furthest away with the weakest signal is will continuously drop. It seems like there should be some optimization from the router to prioritize its strongest connection and or to disallow it to connect to a weaker satellite. better
Message 4 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

What devices do you have connected in total?

What channel configurations are currently set on the router?  Try channel 6 and 40 or 44.

Are you using the separate IoT network for the IoT devices? 

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

If you turn OFF the farther RBS that this one device connects to, does this device connect to a near RBS or the RBR? 

Message 5 of 17
Echostorm
Guide

Firmware Version
V9.11.1.1_1.2.2

For example my Withings body scale that used to work fine for YEARS now cannot connect to to my 970's mesh network it is 2.4 Ghz only.  Funny thing with the scale and with the garage door opener is that they they keep throwing "incorrect password" connection errors (even though my password is correct).  It can see my IoT network but it cannot connect.  So with this happening with multiple 2.4 Ghz only items, it seems there's seriously something wrong with 970's 2.4 Ghz network compared to the 860 that I upgraded from.

My 5Ghz + 2.4 Ghz devices work flawlessly throughout the whole house

As for the personal details Straq is looking at my network privately

Message 6 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, good luck then. 

Message 7 of 17
Echostorm
Guide

After a ton of troubleshooting I figured it out. I put my iPhone on my IoT 2.4 GHz only network and found that I had 5 Mbps throughout the whole network. I disabled my IoT network and moved my devices back to my primary network mixed 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz and everything went back to full speed (1 Gbps). I suspect the IoT network is conflicting with the primary 2.4 GHz network and this is a router side software issue. Netgear, I don’t think the IoT network is ready for primetime, this seems to have been a problem since the 960 series you might want to look at this further, like I said I never had problems with my 850 series
Message 8 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Wondering if full speed is really supported on the IoT network. IoT devices don't need lots of speed. Possible maybe NG is limiting speeds on the IoT network and keeping all good performances on the main WLAN. The IoT network is designed and intended for IoT devices specifically, controllers and such. devices that don't need much bandwidth. I would not be putting devices like phones and pads that may need more speed and bandwidth for there general usage and needs. 

Message 9 of 17
Echostorm
Guide

I don’t think so as the IoT network was not only impaired it was killing my 2.4 GHz main network too with IoT on all my 2.4 GHz networks were not performing correctly so I’m thinking it’s a conflict not by design. If you look at the 6E forums it’s been widely reported with the IoT feature being rolled out seems like the 7 series has the same bugs
Message 10 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Where are these forums? 

How many devices in total are being connected to the IoT network and Main network? 

Again, the IoT network is intended for IoT devices, not phones or pads or other non IoT devices. 

Message 11 of 17
Echostorm
Guide

Message 12 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

I see, still seems to be performance related there as well and again, IoT network not really intended for blazing speeds for non IoT devices. That was two years ago as well. Haven't been alot of posts since.

I would presume there could be some odd connections issues with newer WiFi 7 tech and older wifi devices. I know there are some issues currently in this forum regarding Pixel phones and some had issues last year regarding Iphones however some of that was due to Apples iOS that was fixed in recent iOS versions. NG knows about all this. 

I've not seen many issues all my devices conected to my 970 series. Though I don't use the IoT network here. All connects to the main WLAN. 

Message 13 of 17
Echostorm
Guide

I turned off IoT and moved everything to the main network and all the 2.4 GHz devices work normally, with IoT one the 2.4 GHz devices NOT connected to the IoT but to the main network had connection issues, so I think IoT is conflicting with the 2.4 GHz band of the main network
Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

How is the IoT network configured? 
What SSID name are you using? 

2.4Ghz only or both radios? 

What IoT device do you have connected on the IoT network? 

Message 15 of 17
Echostorm
Guide

Different SSID, 2.4 GHz only, ring, Arlo, garage door openers, hue lights, probably video from security cameras taking up too much bandwidth I didn’t realize the IoT network so was throttled
Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

All those devices sans the security cameras should be fine on the IoT network. Security cameras, not really considered IoT in my book and yes, they can and do take up bandwidth. Especially if the cameras video resolution is high, i.e. 720P, 1080p or 4K. These would hammer the IoT network and maybe the cause of what your seeing there. 

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7