× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Then I decided to ditch the G3100 and just use the Orbi 970

Pinhead117
Aspirant

Then I decided to ditch the G3100 and just use the Orbi 970

I purchased this high-priced mesh system figuring I would be blown away. It worked well at first as an AP with the Verizon FIOS G3100 router. Then I decided to ditch the G3100 and just use the Orbi 970. Nothing but trouble since, the system worked great for a day and then it kept dropping the internet connection. I was also unable to log in to orbilogin.com and had to rely on the APP only. The last straw was I set up a new setup via the APP and the router only connected to one satellite, couldn't connect to the other satellite and showed a connection to the Netgear router my Daughter uses on the first floor of the house!!! Unbelievable for a Netgear system that is supposedly top of the line. I returned it, bought another one and am going to try a brand new setup with that mesh system as soon as I replace my ethernet cable to my Verizon ONT. I appreciate your post as I'm going to check what model ONT I have to see if that could be the same issue as yours. I'm very unhappy with Netgear right now...

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Pinhead117
Aspirant

Just posting an update... set up the system with a new Cat 8 cable directly from the modem in the ONT box up to the RBE973S Router. Used the ORBI App on my iPhone to hook up the router and satellites. Everything is working perfectly. I can also access the router settings via 192.168.1.1... I did update the firmware on the router with the ORBI app, not via the PC interface. I got a little nervous because I read on the Netgear site that satellites should be updated before the router. Anyway, the router and both satellites are running the same firmware. What is the best way to update future firmware?

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 

What happens if you put the G3100 back on line and configure the RBR for router mode and use the G3100's DMZ for the RBR in router mode? 

Message 2 of 10
Pinhead117
Aspirant

The router had updated to the latest firmware. The problem of disconnecting from the internet started after removing it as an AP and using it alone as Router without the Verizon G3100. I'm going to replace the cat 6a because it's a 100 foot cable and run a 40 foot one that's Cat 8. I'll let you know what happens, may not do this for a couple days...I'm not going to use the Verizon G3100 at all.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

CAT6A STP should be great at 100ft. Try CAT8 I guess. Make sure it's STP as well. 

I could see a possible handling issue between the RBR and the ISP interface device as well. Depending on handshaking between them and such. Could be something faulty here. Why I would just test the RBR with the GS3100 while both are in router mode to see if the problem continues. Might ask the ISP if there is any specific configurations needed or they may require to keep a connection going on there side. Some ISP may have some configuration or vlan tagging. Might ask them if they can see these disconnects when the RBR is acting as the main router with there interface device. 

What is the brand and model of the ISP interface device? 

This a ONT? 

Message 4 of 10
Pinhead117
Aspirant

The Verizon ONT is outside the house. The ethernet cable runs from there to Verizon Router G3100. I don't understand why I can't just hook up the Orbi 970 as the standalone router, and that's when the trouble of disconnecting started. If I have to I will do a new setup with the Verizon G3100 connected to the Orbi 970 and leave them both configured in router mode. I will have to shut off the wireless on the G3100. Verizon doesn't help with configuring other routers with theirs. I'll let you know what happens and I appreciate your response.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya in a perfect world. LOL All this would work.

Different ISPs do different things sometimes. FIber, Cable and DSL are all different and do different things with in each network. Though should be mostly standardized with each one, there are some ISPs that seem to deviate sometimes and thus make it hard to external routers to work with there stuff. Verizon has been posted about over the years so not really new. Possible that you may just need the ISP router and disable the wifi on it and use the DMZ as worst case. 

Is there a model# on the outside box? I presume this is Fiber. 

Message 6 of 10
Pinhead117
Aspirant

Just posting an update... set up the system with a new Cat 8 cable directly from the modem in the ONT box up to the RBE973S Router. Used the ORBI App on my iPhone to hook up the router and satellites. Everything is working perfectly. I can also access the router settings via 192.168.1.1... I did update the firmware on the router with the ORBI app, not via the PC interface. I got a little nervous because I read on the Netgear site that satellites should be updated before the router. Anyway, the router and both satellites are running the same firmware. What is the best way to update future firmware?

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya I believe that for the 970 series the RBR gets updated first, then the RBS when using the auto updater or thru Orbi app. It's best to wait about 5-10 minutes after the RBR does it's initial reboot, for the RBS then to get there update and for the system to come back to full ready. 

If you do a manual update by downloading FW files and using a web browser, then update the RBS first using there web pages, then the RBR lastly. 

Message 8 of 10
Pinhead117
Aspirant

Thanks so much for your response. I was a little nervous and felt it was easier for me to use the ORBI app to update.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements