Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I use a CBR40 as a modem only? (bridge mode)

itscalves
Follower

Can I use a CBR40 as a modem only? (bridge mode)

Is it possible to use the CBR40 as only a modem and connect it to a separate wifi router? 

I've been having some connection issues and wanted to test out a few different wifi routers in hopes of isolating connectivity drop-offs and can not seem to get the CBR40 to function as a modem.

I've placed the CBR40 in bridge mode and clicked "Apply". The CBR40 reboots and all 4 LED lights go solid blue, the ring blinks white and here is where I'm stuck. 

I have the CBR40 connected to a Google Nest wifi router but the Nest isn't reaching the internet. I'm guessing a conflict with the WAN settings. I'm also unsure of what ethernet port acts as the WAN port on the Orbi. 

I've tried a cable in all 4 ethernet ports on the CBR40 and was not able to connect to the Google nest.  The Nest is set to DHCP, and I also tried manually setting the Nest's WAN based on "192.168.1.1" and "255.255.255.0" but that didn't work either. 

Would appreciate some guidance

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can I use a CBR40 as a modem only? (bridge mode)

YES you can. There shouldn't be a conflic in IPs from the CBR in bridge mode. It's IP will be 192.168.100.1.

Factory reset your external router and walk thru it's setup wizard after you bridge the CBR40. 

@itscalves wrote:

Is it possible to use the CBR40 as only a modem and connect it to a separate wifi router? 

I've been having some connection issues and wanted to test out a few different wifi routers in hopes of isolating connectivity drop-offs and can not seem to get the CBR40 to function as a modem.

I've placed the CBR40 in bridge mode and clicked "Apply". The CBR40 reboots and all 4 LED lights go solid blue, the ring blinks white and here is where I'm stuck. 

I have the CBR40 connected to a Google Nest wifi router but the Nest isn't reaching the internet. I'm guessing a conflict with the WAN settings. I'm also unsure of what ethernet port acts as the WAN port on the Orbi. 

I've tried a cable in all 4 ethernet ports on the CBR40 and was not able to connect to the Google nest.  The Nest is set to DHCP, and I also tried manually setting the Nest's WAN based on "192.168.1.1" and "255.255.255.0" but that didn't work either. 

Would appreciate some guidance

Message 2 of 4
Hippostix
Aspirant

Were you able to resolve this?
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you having problems? 

@Hippostix wrote:
Were you able to resolve this?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7