Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AX4200 Doesn't Reconnect Most Devices After Reboot

jsanni
Aspirant

Orbi AX4200 Doesn't Reconnect Most Devices After Reboot

Hello,

I own a Netgear Orbi AX4200/CBR750 which is a modem/router combo and it is running on the latest firmware. I typically have about 30-40 devices connected to the router, and it was working fine for the last few days. I just unplugged the router and moved it to a different location, and now the majority of the devices originally connected refuse to reconnect. I know the router is working, as there are about 2 devices connected via wifi right now (including the laptop I'm typing this on), but everything else refuses to connect, including the one sattelite I have for the router. I really don't want to factory reset the router if at all possible. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Here is some extra info:

• I have the router in a 2800 sq ft house
  • My ISP is XFinity
  • The outer and sattelite are about 25-30 ft away from each other
  • The model of the modem/router is the Orbi CBR750 or AX4200
Message 1 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi AX4200 Doesn't Reconnect Most Devices After Reboot

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

\30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Power OFF the RBS. Remove the RBS from the RBRs connected clients page. Power ON the RBS. Press the sync button on the RBS then on the RBR and re-sync the RBS to the RBR.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Set CTS to 2347. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings on the RBR.

Message 2 of 18
jsanni
Aspirant

Hello, I have firmware version 

V3.2.18.2_1.4.14

I have tried the suggestions to no avail. I have my laptop now connected to the router via ethernet, and after restarting the router, my laptop is the only device connected. I have a next door neighbor using wifi.

Message 3 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

A factory reset and set up from scratch will be your next step. 

Message 4 of 18
jsanni
Aspirant

Thanks Furry, this actually worked! But what settings can I mess with in the future so that I don't have to factory reset the router each time it power cycles?

Message 5 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Shouldn't have to mess with anything really. 

I would make back up configuration to file for safe keeping. In case of a reset, you can just load the backup config fron file. 

Hopefully this should keep working for you with out a need for reset. 

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBK753S-update-Rock-solid-in-terms-of-speed-and-stability-s...
You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Message 6 of 18
jsanni
Aspirant

Hi, Unfortunately, the router was unplugged and plugged back in and only about half of the devices will actually reconnect to the router. I have tried factory resetting and restoring settings using a backup, but it didn't help the devices to connect. I have no idea what to do from here. Hopefully I won;t have to do this song and dance each time the router reboots.

Message 7 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disabling AX mode on the RBR for 2.4 and 5Ghz. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS 2347. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 8 of 18
jsanni
Aspirant

Hi,

I applied these settings but it didn't make an impact. One thing I have noticed, however, is that when I change some of the 2.4 or 5Ghz channels, the password for the wifi gets changed, and a bunch of random symbols get added and I have to manually change the password back to the password I want it to be. Another thing I noticed is that on my Amazon Echo Show (One of the devices not connecting), it says it can't connect due to a DCHP error, which is making me think that it is somehow unable to assign IP addresses to every device that wants to connect. My router is set to have a dynamic IP it automatically finds from the ISP, and the same is true for the DNS. Should I change these settings as well? I have attached a picture to show the settings in question. DNS Settings.PNG 

Message 9 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? Try MS Edge, FireFox or Opera and see if you notice this same issue of values changing...

Message 10 of 18
jsanni
Aspirant

Hi, 

The values for the password do not change in Microsoft Edge, so I will continue to use that. I have tried changing the channel for 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz, but about half of the devices still refuse to connect to the wifi. I am still getting the DHCP error on the smart speaker, which is making me think that there could be a problem with the DHCP function on the router. What I have also observed is that when I change a setting, the number of connected devices will jump up to 20-30, but after a few minutes, most of those devices will disconnect automatically, leaving me with about 10 devices connected. It will jump between having about 21 devices to having 10 devices connected.

Message 11 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set CTS 2347. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Try disabling AX mode on the CBR750 as well...

Message 12 of 18
jsanni
Aspirant

Ok, will do. Where do I disable AX mode?
Message 13 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

There maybe two check boxes on the Basic tab/Wireless setting page on the CBR750...

Message 14 of 18
jsanni
Aspirant

Okay, I changed these settings and the majority of devices reconnected fine(including my phone and Amazon smart speakers), but I then unplugged and replugged the router, and now there are things not reconnecting such as smart switches, my cellphone, and the Amazon smart speakers. Those speakers are giving the same DHCP error as before. The router has to be unplugged and replugged a few times because there is work being done at my house. I just don't want to have to factory reset the router again. 

Message 15 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

How often is the CBR being unpluged then back on or when the power goes out? Time in between power outages? 

I recommend that you save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 16 of 18
jsanni
Aspirant

It is getting reset only about once every few hours, but typically, simply rebooting the router shouldn't cause the router to malfunction? I do have a backup of the configuration.

Message 17 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya the devices should all reconnect even on a reboot. You make want to open up a support ticket on this and let NG know whats going on.

@Blanca_O 

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7