Reply
Highlighted
Initiate

Re: Another RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection

Ekhail, you are my freakin hero!  We just purchased the orbi system, and it seemed like a great fit for our house.  Our old Asus router developed an issue after three years where after about 1-2 days of up time, you would start getting 2-3 second lag spikes when gaming.  Not cool.  I got tired of resetting it all the time, and decided to upgrade.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of good routers out right now.  All of them appear to have some issue or another.  The orbi looked like it was free of most of those issues.  But, after about 2-3 days of use, it dropped our Wan.  Wifi was fine. I knew it was the wan because even my wired devices dropped off the internet.  At first, I thought it was related to parental controls, or something like that.  So, I disabled all of those.  Didn't help.  Next I searched the internet... found nothing helpful.  I contacted netgear support.  What a joke that was.  They asked a million questions, and wanted me to change my DNS settings to google's public server.  Look, I'm oldschool... I was microsoft certified for windows NT 4.0 enterprise.  I've been around.  I knew this was not a DNS issue.  I was all set to pack it up and ship it back when I rememberd back in the day when I went to lan parties.  back then, no one had DHCP servers or routers with DHCP.  We had a white board, and everyone wrote their name next to an IP address and manually assigned.  The system worked great until that one plebeian who never changed his settings from the last lan showed up and created an IP conflcift.  That's when it hit me... this was acting just like an IP conflict.  So, I changed my key word searches for a fix, and stumbled upon this thread.  I made the changes, and sure enough.... been up for a week without incident.  What annoys me more than anthing about this whole situation is that Netgear broke this with a firmware patch MONTHS ago, and still hasn't fixed it.  What annoys me even MORE is that they HAVE to know this is an issue by now.  What annoys me EVEN MORE than that, is that this was not the first thing presented to me as a fix when I contacted support.  What a joke.  But, I digress.  Thank you for the fix... you saved netgear a return.
Message 26 of 39
Highlighted

Re: Another RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection

This thread is huge. Which suggestions worked for you because I'm about to Office Space mine...

 


@TheGarbageMan wrote:
"I made the changes, and sure enough.... been up for a week without incident."
Message 27 of 39
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Another RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection

Let us know if this helps:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-RBR40-2-5-1-16-keep-disconnecting-and-auto-update-aga...


@TimmyTechTV wrote:

This thread is huge. Which suggestions worked for you because I'm about to Office Space mine...

 



 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>XR450 v2.3.2.106(Router Mode)>RBK853 v3.2.11.2(AP Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK853, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 28 of 39
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Another RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection

Message 29 of 39
Highlighted
Initiate

Re: Another RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection

The fix posted by Ekhail worked for me.

You need to telnet into your router and fix the Ip lease time.

Just follow the directions. It’s not super complicated. If you’re running Windows 10 you may need to enable telnet first. It’s built into windows but not enabled by default. You can google how to turn it on.

Been up for weeks now without incident.
Message 30 of 39
Highlighted
Master

Re: Another RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection


@TimmyTechTV wrote:

This thread is huge. Which suggestions worked for you because I'm about to Office Space mine...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Another-RBR50-Dropping-Internet-Connection/m-p/1874900/highlig...

My Setup Internet Fiber ONT 250↓/250↑ISP Telenor | Wifi Router Orbi RBK50 AC3000, Router Mode, Wired Backhaul / Orbi RBK852 AX6000, Router Mode, Wireless Backhaul | Switches Netgear GS208Time Zone CET (Sweden)

Message 31 of 39
Highlighted
Initiate

Re: Another RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection

This worked for me as well for my TLC Roku TV that kept dropping internet connections everytime it was turned off and never auto reconnected to network.  I have a Google Fiber router with this Mesh router setup setup.  Seems like this should be the default setting now with some patch - config set wan_lease=1200.  This solution is way to technical for most users IMO.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 32 of 39
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Another RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection

If you already have a router in front of the Orbi router, This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

 

Your configuration would impact now Orbi works, even with out making the change reported here.


@meisert wrote:

This worked for me as well for my TLC Roku TV that kept dropping internet connections everytime it was turned off and never auto reconnected to network.  I have a Google Fiber router with this Mesh router setup setup.  Seems like this should be the default setting now with some patch - config set wan_lease=1200.  This solution is way to technical for most users IMO.


 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>XR450 v2.3.2.106(Router Mode)>RBK853 v3.2.11.2(AP Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK853, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 33 of 39
Highlighted

Re: Another RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection

Been having a similar issue with my new RBK753 and have been trying to follow the directions here, but whenever I go to the Debug page, there's no option to enable Telnet.  Has the ability been removed?

 

 

Message 34 of 39
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Another RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection

Please post about this over in the Orbi AX forum for your model Orbi:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

 

Telent doesn't seem to be a feature on Orbi AX. 

 

Thank you. 


@RockTheGlobe wrote:

Been having a similar issue with my new RBK753 and have been trying to follow the directions here, but whenever I go to the Debug page, there's no option to enable Telnet.  Has the ability been removed?

 

 


 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>XR450 v2.3.2.106(Router Mode)>RBK853 v3.2.11.2(AP Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK853, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 35 of 39
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Another RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection

Hi There,

 

I also came across the same problem after receiving a new cable modem.

 

I did the following to resolve the problem.

 

On my cable modem:

I put off all the wifi signal sending.

I put a static ipadres in it for the orbi modem.

I put the dmz mode with the ipadres of the orbi.

I connected the Orbi direct to the cable modem.

 

On the Orbi:

I put the orbi in AP mode.

Turned on 20/40 mhz

Turned on WMM(2.4 and 5Ghz)

Preample automatic on both with 100% signal strength

Turned off Backhaul

Turned on beamforming

Turned on MU-MIMO

Turned off Fast Roaming

2.4 Ghz channel: automatic

5 Ghz channel is on 40(I did some tests on every channel and for me this was the fastest)

Guest network is off

No dynamic DNS

 

My Orbi is running at version 2.5.1.16

Make sure the Satellites ar on the same version!

 

I have 2 indoor satellites and one outdoor satellite.

 

After this setup I didnt had any drops that where common in the weeks before.

 

Hope this will help

 

 

 

 

 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 36 of 39
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Another RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection

I recommend NOT using the modem DMZ for the RBR in AP Mode. When in AP mode, the RBR doesn't provide any kind of firewall protection. This is only used when the RBR is in router mode. IF you have the RBR in AP mode in the modems DMZ, you maybe suseptible to attacks and are NOT protected by the modems firewall. 


@DsxUndertaker wrote:

Hi There,

 

I also came across the same problem after receiving a new cable modem.

 

I did the following to resolve the problem.

 

On my cable modem:

I put off all the wifi signal sending.

I put a static ipadres in it for the orbi modem.

I put the dmz mode with the ipadres of the orbi.

I connected the Orbi direct to the cable modem.

 

On the Orbi:

I put the orbi in AP mode.

Turned on 20/40 mhz

Turned on WMM(2.4 and 5Ghz)

Preample automatic on both with 100% signal strength

Turned off Backhaul

Turned on beamforming

Turned on MU-MIMO

Turned off Fast Roaming

2.4 Ghz channel: automatic

5 Ghz channel is on 40(I did some tests on every channel and for me this was the fastest)

Guest network is off

No dynamic DNS

 

My Orbi is running at version 2.5.1.16

Make sure the Satellites ar on the same version!

 

I have 2 indoor satellites and one outdoor satellite.

 

After this setup I didnt had any drops that where common in the weeks before.

 

Hope this will help

 

 

 

 

 


 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>XR450 v2.3.2.106(Router Mode)>RBK853 v3.2.11.2(AP Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK853, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 37 of 39
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Another RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection

Correct,

I had the Ip adres filled in but disabled the option. Orbi still works fine.
Message 38 of 39
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Another RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection

Ok, just checking. Smiley Wink


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>XR450 v2.3.2.106(Router Mode)>RBK853 v3.2.11.2(AP Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200/CM2000, Orbi CBK40, RBK853, R7800, R7960P,
EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 39 of 39
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements