Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS116 bring all Orbi network internet down

RIPWAG
Aspirant

GS116 bring all Orbi network internet down

I have an Orbi network with two satallites, which have been in place for two years. I have a Spectrum business cable modem, installed about 3 months ago. I purchased 2 GS116 v2 ProSafe 16 port gigabit switches. When I plug the GS116 into my orbi, all other Orbi internet access ceases. When I unplug it, internet access is restored. Devices plugged into the GS116 show valid ip and DNS address, and I can see them on the Orbi app. Those same devices, however, also have no internet access. I've also tried plugging the GS116 directly into the Spectrum modem with the same results. All Oribi internet access ceases, and the devices plugged into the GS116 still have no internet access. I've also tried changing out cables with no difference. 

Model: GS116Ev2|ProSafe Plus 16 ports gigabits switch
Message 1 of 30

Accepted Solutions
RIPWAG
Aspirant

Re: GS116 bring all Orbi network internet down

Okay. I'll try to connect the switch with nothing plugged in to it, and see what that does.

View solution in original post

Message 25 of 30

All Replies
RIPWAG
Aspirant

I opened a case with Netgear yesterday, but I've not heard back from them yet.

Message 2 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have tried both with Orbi and with the ISP modem with this switch, I would presume these switches are faulty or have Green Ethernet features which are not compatible with Orbi systems. These are also managed switch which can be problematic. Besure to disable all IGMP protocols and any green ethernet features on these switches to see if this might help. 

If not, find some non managed, non green ethernet switches. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Configuration should be like this:

ISP modem>RBR>swtich

Message 3 of 30
RIPWAG
Aspirant

The box says they are unmanaged.

Message 4 of 30
CrimpOn
Guru

Would help to identify the Spectrum modem by brand & model number.  These switches come with Netgear's usual 90 days of "complimentary support".  There is a link on the product registration page to Support.

Just in general, if the Orbi is in router mode (the default) and the Sprectrum device is also a router (which it probably is if there is an open ethernet port for the switch in addition to the Orbi), plugging a switch directly into the Spectrum modem will cause issues with local networking.  On the other hand, if the Spectrum has only a single ethernet port and the Orbi was unplugged to connect the switch, then none of the devices on the switch should get an IP address.

Message 6 of 30
RIPWAG
Aspirant

It's a Spectrum 802.11ac Wave 2 Router model RAC2V1K. 

Message 7 of 30
RIPWAG
Aspirant

I did misspeak. I forgot that when Spectrum updated my equipment, they installed a separate cable modem and router. Sorry. My Orbi is configured as an access point. I tried plugging into both the Orbi and router, but not the cable modem. I'm trying that now.

Message 8 of 30
RIPWAG
Aspirant

Actually, I can't plug it in to the cable modem. It only has one port for the router.

Message 9 of 30
CrimpOn
Guru

With the Orbi configured as an Access Point (AP), it should make no difference where the switch is connected.

The only critical step is that the yellow (WAN) port on the Orbi is connected to Spectrum.

How are the two Orbi satellites connected?

Message 10 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru
RIPWAG
Aspirant

The satellites are connected wirelessly, and have been working great for two years. They are only impacted when I plug the GS116 in to the Orbi that is plugged into the Spectrum router. When I do, everything connected to them loses internet. 

Message 12 of 30
RIPWAG
Aspirant

Right. That's the process I followed to configure the Orbi as an access point.

Message 13 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a different model switch or different Mfr. Like D-Link DGS-108 or HP ProCurve 1400/1800 series non managed switches. If these or something else works, then these GS116s are faulty or incompatible with Orbi...

I would connect Orb, even in AP mode using this method:

ISP Modem>RBR to open LAN Port on ISP Modem/router. 

ISP Modem>Switch to open LAN Port on ISP Modem/router, If this also causes a failure, then these switches needs to be replaced with something else. 

Message 14 of 30
CrimpOn
Guru

@RIPWAG wrote:

The satellites are connected wirelessly, and have been working great for two years. They are only impacted when I plug the GS116 in to the Orbi that is plugged into the Spectrum router. When I do, everything connected to them loses internet. 

This happens when a switch with nothing else connected to it is connected to the Orbi?

Message 15 of 30
RIPWAG
Aspirant

It's really odd. When the GS116 is plugged in to the Orbi, devices plugged in to the GS116 do get an automatic IP address and I can see them registered in the Orbi app device map. They just have no internet access. I've tested this with a pc and with an Xbox. 

Message 16 of 30
CrimpOn
Guru

You do not by chance have "Access Control" turned on?

Message 17 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Automatic IP of 169? If so, this means the RBR isn't getting traffic thru from the main host router to the connected devices with this switch connected. 

@RIPWAG wrote:

It's really odd. When the GS116 is plugged in to the Orbi, devices plugged in to the GS116 do get an automatic IP address and I can see them registered in the Orbi app device map. They just have no internet access. I've tested this with a pc and with an Xbox. 

Message 18 of 30
RIPWAG
Aspirant

When you say nothing else connected to it, do you mean that you want me to plug the switch into the Orbi with nothing plugged into the switch to see if the rest of my network internet access stays up?

Message 19 of 30
RIPWAG
Aspirant

Yes, 169.

Message 20 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

So if you connect the RBR to the modem with out any switch connected at all, the system works. Correct? 

Try @CrimpOn suggestion of just connecting the swtch to the system without any connected to the switch. 

@RIPWAG wrote:

Yes, 169.

Message 21 of 30
CrimpOn
Guru

@RIPWAG wrote:

When you say nothing else connected to it, do you mean that you want me to plug the switch into the Orbi with nothing plugged into the switch to see if the rest of my network internet access stays up?

Yes, I do.  Also, did I read correctly that devices plugged into the switch (a) receive an IP address from the regular DHCP pool (from the Spectrum router, correct)? and (b) the Orbi lists the devices in the Attached Devices display?

If connecting a switch with no devices causes no harm, I would connect only a single device at a time.

Message 22 of 30
CrimpOn
Guru

@RIPWAG wrote:

Yes, 169.

169 is not a typical DHCP address.https://www.webopedia.com/TERM/A/APIPA.html 

Message 23 of 30
RIPWAG
Aspirant

I have three other switches hooked up and working fine. One is a Leviton 5-port model 47611 switch and the second is a JGS516 netgear switch. They work fine. The JGS516 is plugged into the same Orbi.

Message 24 of 30
RIPWAG
Aspirant

Okay. I'll try to connect the switch with nothing plugged in to it, and see what that does.

Message 25 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7