Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help Setting up Two Parallel WiFi Networks

bjornand1
Aspirant

Help Setting up Two Parallel WiFi Networks

Hi, I hope some of you Orbi experts can offer some advice on this:

I have an Orbi setup with one base station and three satellites. After producing very good WiFi speed in the beginning, the speed is now very poor, and all help I have received points to the number of IoT devices connected, around 50, being the issue.

I am therefore about to set up a second network, using Eero 6, which I intend to reserve primarily for IoT devices. To make the transfer as painless as possible, my plan is to set up the new Eero network with the same network name and ip address as the Orbi network, preserving a number of static ip reservations from the Orbi (and set the Orbi system up from scratch).

Preparing for this, one possibly stupic question is: Can I change the name (SSID) of the current Orbi network ahead of the transfer, without causing any issues with the devices connected (i.e., will they remain connected with the same ip address or will they be "confused" by the change of network name)?

I ask because I named the Orbi network "MySurnameOrbi", but after this transfer, I would like this original network (after it has been transferred to Eero) to be called something like "MySurnameEero" and assign the "MySurnameOrbi" to the new network I will set up with the Orbi system.

Also, any other issues to consider before underaking this transfer, to minimize problems/devices that disconnect?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Help Setting up Two Parallel WiFi Networks

IF you have Orbi system and 3 satellites, this system will be more than capable of handling 50 sevices. Placement and distance is key as well. If your getting bad performance from the system, then some troubleshooting is needed to find out why the Orbi system is operating badly. Adding another wifi system will only make things worse.

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

For any other non NG branded products, please refer to there help and support web page and community for information regarding there products. 

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@bjornand1 wrote:

Hi, I hope some of you Orbi experts can offer some advice on this:

I have an Orbi setup with one base station and three satellites. After producing very good WiFi speed in the beginning, the speed is now very poor, and all help I have received points to the number of IoT devices connected, around 50, being the issue.

Numerous Orbi users report having more than 50 devices (some over 100) without impacting performance.  If the majority of these devices are IoT gizmos, their bandwidth usage is minimal.  I disagree with the premise.

I am therefore about to set up a second network, using Eero 6, which I intend to reserve primarily for IoT devices. To make the transfer as painless as possible, my plan is to set up the new Eero network with the same network name and ip address as the Orbi network, preserving a number of static ip reservations from the Orbi (and set the Orbi system up from scratch).

Every time I replace one WiFi router with a new one, I give the new one exactly the same SSID/password as the old so that every device will automatically reconnect.  (and, so that I can "go back" if I do not like the new router).

Preparing for this, one possibly stupic question is: Can I change the name (SSID) of the current Orbi network ahead of the transfer, without causing any issues with the devices connected (i.e., will they remain connected with the same ip address or will they be "confused" by the change of network name)?

The instant the Orbi SSID changes, every device will disconnect.

I ask because I named the Orbi network "MySurnameOrbi", but after this transfer, I would like this original network (after it has been transferred to Eero) to be called something like "MySurnameEero" and assign the "MySurnameOrbi" to the new network I will set up with the Orbi system.

This seems inconsistent with the question above. (Can I set up the EERO with the same SSID/password).

Also, any other issues to consider before underaking this transfer, to minimize problems/devices that disconnect?

Having two mesh WiFi systems "side by side" is likely to cause interference and reduce the capacity of both.

If you no longer believe the Orbi is suitable, remove it completely and name the new WiFi system with the same SSID/password as the Orbi.  Or, as I would do, put the Orbi in a closet and reinstall it if the EERO breaks or is disappointing.

Message 3 of 6
bjornand1
Aspirant

Thanks to both of you for comprehensive responses!

I had already ordered the Eero system, which has now arrived, and I have set it up, in parallel with the Orbi system (keeping the IoT devices on the Orbi system and using the Eero system for media and everyday internet usage). As I hoped/expected, it delivers much faster wireless speed, and I don't seem to run into much trouble with interference. The only downside is that for some devices (Apple TV, HomePods) I need to be on the same network as those devices for controls to work fully, so some manual WiFi switching is required.

I guess there is now way to establish some kind of local connection between the two networks that avoids this (so that devices on respectively 192.168.x.n and 192.168.y.n) can talk to one another directly?

However, from what you say about Orbi and number of devices, it seems I should be able to make everything work using only the Orbi system. You suggest some tweaking I have not tried (and someone else suggested wiping them and rebuilding from scratch). I guess I will have to try that some day when I have a lot of time, but I deeply fear breaking things that have taken very long to set up, with IoT devices whose static ip-addresses allow Homebridge access, port forwarding to numerous Synology NAS prosesses, etc.).

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Something you'll have to try for sure. I have my Orbi setup as the main wifi system. 30+ devices with not problems. IoT, cameras, NAS, 3 pritners and two VPNs running all day while at work. 

Good Luck. 

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@bjornand1 wrote:

I guess there is no way to establish some kind of local connection between the two networks that avoids this (so that devices on respectively 192.168.x.n and 192.168.y.n) can talk to one another directly?

"No way" is probably incorrect. (There is almost always a way.) "No way that is convenient or cheap" may be a better question.

Static Routes would probably be a solution, once you figured out how to make them work.  Before discussing that, I need to ask a question:

If both the Orbi and EERO are connected to the internet and working, then they must both be connected to a router.  And, since you have two separate IP spaces, they must both be in "router mode" themselves and issuing those different IP addresses with DHCP.

My first thought is to put both the Orbi and EERO into "Access Point (AP) mode" and have the ISP router assign IP addresses to ALL devices.  With only one IP space, every device can talk to every other device.There are two entirely separate WiFi systems sharing one IP space. "Problem solved."  You can decide which WiFi system each device uses by which SSID they connect to, but they can all communicate with each other.  Another advantage would be eliminating the "Double NAT" situation: https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT   (Confession: I have no idea whether the EERO 6 can be put into AP mode.)

Back to Static routes.  Since 192.168.y IP's are not on the LAN for 192.168.x, all packets for those addresses will be sent to the ISP router, which has no idea what to do with them.  Creating a static route on the ISP router to the other WiFi router will send all packets to it. (And a similar static router going the other way.)  Both routers have IP's on the ISP router LAN side. The big down side I see with static routes is that broadcast packets do not traverse static routes.  So, if any of these systems rely on broadcasts, such as to "find" devices, this will not work.

There is probably a way with more hardware, it should be possible to set up "Static Routes" between the two WiFi systems.  The key is that static routes depend on having a device with a LAN address on each system.  i.e. there needs to be a "box" connected to both 192.168.x.and 192.168.y.  On one system IP's 192.168.y/24 have a static route to the box and on the other side IP's to 192.168.x/24 have a static route to the other adapter on the box.  (More confession: I have no idea if EERO 6 supports static routes.) And, there is still the potential issue of broadcast packets.

As I said at the start, "almost certainly a way, but probably messy and with unwanted side-effects.

My bottom line is (a) I would prefer to host everything on one WiFi network (either Orbi or EERO 6 - shame you didn't get the "EERO 6 Pro"), or (b) but the two WiFi systems into AP mode.

(How many confessions of ignorance did I make?)

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7