Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Issue with ORBI RBK20 Using RDP

bbrener
Aspirant

Issue with ORBI RBK20 Using RDP

My ORBI is set up and seems to be worling fine. Internet Speed 150MBPS and wifi speed almost the same in my house. However, I connect to my office using RDP protocol and this connection is very slow. When I type a key, it takes 2 seconds to show on the screen. Painting screens is slow as is opening email. There is a definite lag and I cannot find out why. My office PC is not slow when I am using it directly. My old TPlink router which which was an n router only worked perfectly. Any idea? I have tried most settings.

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Issue with ORBI RBK20 Using RDP

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Connection wireless or wired? Try wired to the base router?

Message 2 of 20
bbrener
Aspirant

FW is the latest. V2.2.1.210.  Everything is wired and I use a Motorola Surfboard DOCSIS 3.0 Modem SB6183. Had no issues with a TPLink router.

Message 3 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Was the FW updated via the auto update feature and continue or have you tried a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed. Might try this and this time don't enable QoS, Traffic Meter or Access Controls.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

Message 4 of 20
bbrener
Aspirant

It was set up via auto update during the install process. Are you suggesting factory reset and manual setup, or use the wizard? Traffic meter is not used. Access controls are off but I have sosme Static IP"s reserved. I dont want to reenter those. Can I restore my config after I reset it?

There actually is no QOS options. All that QOS tab shows is an internet speed test. That puzzles me.

Message 5 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Do a save configuration first. Then factory reset and setup from scratch. Walk thru the setup wizard. You don't have to reconnect the satellites for now. Just get the router set up. Do not re-load the configuration from file. First test the RDP and see if this fixes the performance problem...Let us know what you find out.

Be sure to disable IPv6 on the router...

Message 6 of 20
bbrener
Aspirant

OK. Many thanks. Just confused about one thing. When I do a factory reset does it revert to the firmware as it was purchased or does it keep the latest already downloaded? Are you suggesting I reinstall the firmware from the IMG files? If so, how do I do that?

Message 7 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

No it doesn't revert Fw versions, just clears any user configurations.

You can download the fw files for your model Orbi here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/

Use IE11 or FF and log into the satellites web page and update the satellites first using there FW update feature. Just point to the file needed, Do the same for the router. Reset and setup from scratch.

Message 8 of 20
bbrener
Aspirant

OK. Will try that and let you know. Much obliged.

Message 9 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Hope it works out...Let us know.

Message 10 of 20
bbrener
Aspirant

One unrelated question. I have an (illiterate) friend setting up an orbi. He claims that when his PC connected to the ORBI goes to sleep it turns off the ORBI and there is no wifi. Is it possible he has power management on his Ethernet adapter and the ORBI accepts the signal?

Message 11 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, possible. Ask him if other devices see the wifi after his one PC doesn't connect. The Orib wifi is ON all the time and doesn't turn off by default.

Message 12 of 20
bbrener
Aspirant

He has a Mac (which I am not familiar with). He says that when the MAC goes to sleep, the power light on the ORBI router goes out and no device gets wifi. When the MAC comes out of sleep, the ORBI goes through a power cycle.

Message 13 of 20
bbrener
Aspirant

He says that when he plugs his MAC into the satellite LAN port and it goes to sleep, the ORBI still powers down!! And the MAC seems to have no option like WINDOWS does to keep the ethernet from powering down. Why doe sthe ORBI accept the signal with no option to ignore it??

Going to try and insert a switch.

Message 14 of 20
bbrener
Aspirant

I reset to factory and reinstalled the latest FW as suggested. I set the Orbi up again using all factory defaults. The RDP problem of choppy response did not improve.

Message 15 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Darn. Ok, how about this, install your old router in place and set it up has the main host router. Turn OFF all wifi on this router. Then confgure the Orbi for AP mode. Then test RDP...Seems like this maybe a Orbi router handling problem...

@Christian_R

Message 16 of 20
bbrener
Aspirant

Not sure what you mean? Use my old router for the wired connections including RDP from my PC and the ORBI as an AP for wireless only?

Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Kind of, wire the PC to the Orbi in AP mode thats connected to your old router and see if the problem continues. 

Message 18 of 20
bbrener
Aspirant

Does that mean it "passes through" the Orbi and the packets actually handled by the old router? If it all works does that imply the ORBI is causing an issue?

Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible. Reason for this test to see...This give NG something to review to see if they can fix...

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7