Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Must an Orbi system be manually synced following any power outage

wilderw
Guide

Must an Orbi system be manually synced following any power outage

Power cycling either the router or satellite leaves the satellite in a constant blinking state (slow white pulse on top circle) until I manually hit the sync button on router then satellite.

Is this per design? If so, will this be corrected in a future firmware release?

If relevant - I am operating the Orbi in AP mode only.

Bill

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 16
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: Must an Orbi system be manually synced following any power outage

I haven't had to manually sync my Orbi base or satellite after a power outage or rebooting.  I did notice that my satellite was flashing white but it recovered itself automatically.  Did you wait at least 10-15 minutes to see if it rejoins automatically?

Message 2 of 16
wilderw
Guide

I waited a significant period of time (which to my thinking should not require more than a minute or two at most) but I will try a 10-15 minute wait to see if that makes a difference. A 10-minute sync to establish backhaul does seem slow to me.

I did forget to mention in my original posting, I am at latest firmware on router and satellite.

Bill

Message 3 of 16
Kdragan
Initiate

I'm amazed how the forum's response to issues seems to be "that hasnt happened to me, so it must not be an issue...".  Wilderw....yes i have the exact same issue (a fatal flaw in the product).

Message 4 of 16
wilderw
Guide

Further Update:

I waited the suggested 15 minutes. Attached devices on the router will (within a reasonable time interval) show the satellite is connected and devices will make a connection to the satellite - but the blinking white light (satellite only) continues without cease.

I manually reset router and satellite to factory settings and the problem persists (which may simply be an issue that the satellite fails to extinguish the blink post restart).

I can get the lights to extinguish by pressing sync buttons on router and satellite - but the issue recurs the next time either device power cycles.

It's not a showstopper for me - but suggests a bug perhaps that might be corrected next firmware release?

For the users that don't see this behaviour - might it be a difference between router mode and AP mode?

Bill

Message 5 of 16
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello WilderW

This could be a bug in AP only my orbi is used as a router and does not have that issue I will try to set it up as AP and try to replicate the issue you are having. The only other thing I can think of is a signal strength issue may just be out of range to auto sync back up you could test that by bringing the satellite closer and see if it shows the same behavior but if that is difficult to do do not worry about it I will try to test mine.

DarrenM

Message 6 of 16
wilderw
Guide

DarrenM: Thanks for your comments and offer to test AP-only mode - I'll be interested in your results. As I reported earlier - even with the router and satellite close together - the slow white blink on the satellite never extinguishes. However, the connection is completed within a minute or so and devices do connect to the satellite.

For the moment my satellite sits on a shelf unsused due to issues with the Ring Doorbell. I'm hopeful a future firmware upgrade from Orbi or Ring's side might correct that issue and let me redeploy the satellite.

Bill

Message 7 of 16
rhester72
Virtuoso

As a datapoint, I took a power hit a few weeks ago on v1.3 and the sync happened on its own from the opposite end of two floors - it was seamless, no manual intervention required.

Rodney

Message 8 of 16
wilderw
Guide

Rodney: Router mode or Access Point mode?

Thanks for the reply.

Message 9 of 16
rhester72
Virtuoso

@wilderw wrote:

Rodney: Router mode or Access Point mode?

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, AP mode.

Rodney

Message 10 of 16
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello wilderw 

I am not seeing a issue either you may want to contact support could be a issue with that satellite.

https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

DarrenM

Message 11 of 16
wilderw
Guide

Update: I can report that this problem persists with the V1.4.0.18 firmware (applied to both satellite and router). Recap - with my devices configured in Access Point mode, the satellite shows an indefinite slow white blink post startup. As far as I can tell, the satellite comes up, syncs and is functional with attached devices so this is an indicator issue rather than an actual performance issue.

A manual sync will extinguish the light.

Message 12 of 16
genobkk
Star

In router mode mine connects fine to satalite within a min or so.  My router on 1st floor satalite on 3rd floor 

Message 13 of 16
Tri2243
Aspirant

I have same issue anytime the power blips my orbi router and first satellite connect within a few minutes. My second satellite will flash white for hours if I don't manually sync. I have even placed the satellite next to the router and moved it to other locations with no obstructions with no change. I had the issue on 1.4 and 1.5 firmware.
Message 14 of 16
Tri2243
Aspirant

Also unplugged the "good satellite" to see if it was a issue adding a second satellite and did a reset and "bad" satellite still won't connect.
Message 15 of 16
Butch1326
Star

I hooked up a UPS device to the satellite because of the manual sync issue after power outages.  I can also confirm this is an issue.  I am running Orbi in AP mode.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7