Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NowTV box problem with DM200/Orbi

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: NowTV box problem with DM200/Orbi

well maybe, however it's possible the NowTV is using some other non standard ports that isn't main stream or standard to normal networking protocols as well. Non router mfrs have been known to do odd things to make there stuff work. Something to ask them about.

Message 26 of 28
goldnetN
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

well maybe, however it's possible the NowTV is using some other non standard ports that isn't main stream or standard to normal networking protocols as well. Non router mfrs have been known to do odd things to make there stuff work. Something to ask them about.

As I mentioned in my last post, if it were just the NowTV box (not a well-known name outside the UK maybe - it's a badged Roku TV streamer customised for Sky TV's NowTV brand), I might agree more with you. The fact that the Panasonic box - a pretty well-known global brand, exhibited the same issue, points to something bigger than a minor manufacterers 'quirk' and to something relating to how the whole TV replay system operates.

I would expect a leading router manufacturer to have known how it works - unless maybe the UK with its comprehensive TV replay systems don't feature on the 'radar'. As I've also said previously, I've used the box wit routers from BT (Smart hub), Plusnet (Hub One - similar to the BT), Sky (white and black) and, I think O2 before that.

Anyway, the problem is sorted, at least for me, thought without knowing the cause and why the Orbi system isn't able to handle it (or, if it can, how to set it that way) remains a frustration. 

As the Orbi is newer kit than the DM200, I would expect its firmware/software to perhaps function more effectively. So I would prefer to use its router capabilities rather than the DM200's.

That's why I'd still like to understand the full picture, even if I'm working OK for now...

Message 27 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

I agree to a point. Most devices should work well on Mfr routers. However again, there maybe some that just don't. There are MANY devices and I presume is hard to keep them ALL on the radar, thus why there is networking standards that most Mfrs adhear too. Some may not. 

There maybe some issues between the DM200 and Orbi systems. Something to ask your ISP about and see if there is a Modem Only option for there service. If there is, you could use a modem only thus getting rid of the built in modem/router feature and then reconfigure the Orbi for Router mode. However you'll probably incur the problem with this TV streamer box though. Something to contact the Mfr about and let them know about what your seeing with the Orbi and there device...it's not always a router problem, however maybe they can work with NG and solving it. 

Message 28 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7