Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK50 - WIFI drop outs constantly

Marky-P
Tutor

Orbi RBK50 - WIFI drop outs constantly

Ever since replacing my Asus RTAC87U with the RBR50 I have been having constant Wifi drop outs on all devices. I have observed on some devices including my S10+ and a Samsung Galaxy Tablet showing the Wifi Icon as still connected to the Orbi but without internet. Now when this occurs I jump onto my desktop to check if there is an internet connection, which after checking shows the ethernet device will full speed. I try and run speed tests on the devices including my S10 and I get Ping: 41ms, Jitter 457ms, Download 0.04 and Upload 0.00Mbps with the speedtest app. 

Using latest firmware 2.5.1.8
Also my satelite is connected via Wired Backhaul through a POE Switch.
ROUTER --> POE SWITCH/GIGABIT SWITCH --> SATELITE. (Now was wondering if this may be the cause of the issue due to it going through the GIGABIT SWITCH?). 

I have used network analyser app to find the best Channel for my 2.4ghz and 5ghz channels that my neighbours are not using also. 
I am at a loss as to what to do to fix this issue. The Asus AC87U was flawless and never had wifi drop outs. 

I have tried disabling different settings including MU-MIMO, WMM, and 20/40 Coexistence, Beam foaming. All seem to have the same issue that happens intermittently. Sometimes in one room I can go from 340mbps connection speed down to 32mbps. Extremely unreliable. 

Disabling (WMM) causes my wifi to be connected at only 54Mbps. 

I think my only option is to try and use wireless backhaul to see if that fixes my problem. Any recommendations? I have attached my settings. Am considering selling this and going back to a singular device with no Mesh. Hopefully I can resolve this. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBK50 - WIFI drop outs constantly

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration? If this is a managed switch, try the RBS directly connected to the RBR, by passing this switch. IGMP should be disabled on managed switches and use of "Green Ethernet" featured switches is not recommended. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM should always be enabled. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 25
Marky-P
Tutor

Have tried all options as mentioned. Similar issue to https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50v2-WiFi-Connection-Drops-on-Smartphone/m-p/1854753#M...

Have tried everything. Considering moving back to ASUS

Message 3 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Would be nice if you gave feed back next time to the questions presented so we get more of a picture of what you have goign on there. Possible you just have a faulty unit. Not everyone has this problem. Contact NG support and ask about an RMA. 

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 25
JimboNZ
Aspirant

Exactly the same issues. Been trying everything - different switch configs, MIMO, beam forming, DHCP etc. You name it... Clearly an underlying issue with these units. These posts have been going for ever. What's Netgear going to do about it????
Message 5 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

If your having similar problems and have tried everything, you'll need to make contact with NG support to continue the support effort. Not everyone has problems with there wifi. Some have had problem units being faulty in which NG has sent them new units. Something to ask NG support about:

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

Can try Voxels FW as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/td-p/183...

Good Luck. 

@JimboNZ wrote:
Exactly the same issues. Been trying everything - different switch configs, MIMO, beam forming, DHCP etc. You name it... Clearly an underlying issue with these units. These posts have been going for ever. What's Netgear going to do about it????

Message 6 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

What's the score on this update?

Message 7 of 25
Sundararamany
Initiate

I've a similar problem with my S9+ and Laptop. The WiFi /VOIP calls keep dropping. esp moving from one room to another. There is no drop visibily on the WiFi itself and no issues seen with the static devices. If I disable WiFi, call on mobile 4G network functions without a problem. Appreciate if there are good troubleshooting guidelines to solve this.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 8 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@Sundararamany wrote:

I've a similar problem with my S9+ and Laptop. The WiFi /VOIP calls keep dropping. esp moving from one room to another. There is no drop visibily on the WiFi itself and no issues seen with the static devices. If I disable WiFi, call on mobile 4G network functions without a problem. Appreciate if there are good troubleshooting guidelines to solve this.

Message 9 of 25
my_coron
Tutor

Hi,

I wanted to add to this thread. I purchased the RBK50 with the acompanying sattlite and my setup is (In Australia) a Fibre 100M/20M service which connects to my carrier NTU and then my RBK50 Router. I have setup with approximately 10+ devices to my wireless network and when it is not dropping out, its been a life changer. But like many I am experiencing intermittent wireless drop outs. My setup is in a single level home with approximately 160 sqmetre living area and I have the sattelit at approx the same recommended distance. It has been 5 days and with the intermittent drop outs have been inconvenient. Steps taken:

Firstly I am running the fimware V 2.5.1.16 which is the latest available for Australia

1. factory reset

2. unplugged all cables and reconnected

3. contacted netgear support and they advised to change the wireless 5GHz from 36 to 40 and then to keep changing this settings until the drop outs resolved. Its current aat 48 and after calling back to neatgear support they have emailed the case to suggest that the RBK50 units is faulty and recommended I have it replaced. Iam convinced that there was more that could be troubleshooted, and will exercise that if all my options get exhausted.

But I wanted to share that I have performed the follow as you have suggested of

1. change 2.4ghz channel from auto to 1

2. disabled 20/40Mhz  co-existence

3. enabled BEAMFORMING

I've applied and have rebooted. Are there any other suggestions should this not work?

I will update on status - Im crossing my fingers that this will work

Message 10 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

@my_coron wrote:

Hi,

I wanted to add to this thread. I purchased the RBK50 with the acompanying sattlite and my setup is (In Australia) a Fibre 100M/20M service which connects to my carrier NTU and then my RBK50 Router. I have setup with approximately 10+ devices to my wireless network and when it is not dropping out, its been a life changer. But like many I am experiencing intermittent wireless drop outs. My setup is in a single level home with approximately 160 sqmetre living area and I have the sattelit at approx the same recommended distance. It has been 5 days and with the intermittent drop outs have been inconvenient. Steps taken:

Firstly I am running the fimware V 2.5.1.16 which is the latest available for Australia

1. factory reset

2. unplugged all cables and reconnected

3. contacted netgear support and they advised to change the wireless 5GHz from 36 to 40 and then to keep changing this settings until the drop outs resolved. Its current aat 48 and after calling back to neatgear support they have emailed the case to suggest that the RBK50 units is faulty and recommended I have it replaced. Iam convinced that there was more that could be troubleshooted, and will exercise that if all my options get exhausted.

But I wanted to share that I have performed the follow as you have suggested of

1. change 2.4ghz channel from auto to 1

2. disabled 20/40Mhz  co-existence

3. enabled BEAMFORMING

I've applied and have rebooted. Are there any other suggestions should this not work?

I will update on status - Im crossing my fingers that this will work

Message 11 of 25
my_coron
Tutor

Ok so an update from yesterday. Firstly to answer the distance from Route to Sattelite. It is approximately 55 feet. The sattelite light is blue blue on reboots. Secondly I have approximately 7 other networks.

Ok the bad news first. After making those changes described in my first post whilst the wireless connection was on for much longer (approximately 5 hours) it eventually dropped.

So change follow changes were made on the Orbi in firmware:

2.4GHz Channel - 01 and then to 06 after another drop out

5GHz Channel: left on 48

Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz preamble modes to both Short Preamble config

Disabled Dasiy Chain Mode

So my current settings before I went to bed are now as all checked-boxed recommended by Furrye38 and include settings of:

SSID Wireless

2.4GHz:  11

5GHz: 40

One thing to note - Armor is still activate as I have for the BitDefender subscription (after some challenges in getting the licenses activated, nonetheless I wanted to commend also the BitDefender service desk in Romania who were patient and supportive to assist)

I will monitor and update all.

Model: A6150|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi USB Mini Adapter
Message 12 of 25
my_coron
Tutor

Hi Community,

Unfortunately this morning the intermittent drops out have continued.

I have now disabled NetGear Armour (I paid for the NetGear/BitDefender subscription) and wil wait and see.

Iam extremely disappointed with this experience so far. I purchased this on the recommendation of a colleague but it has been nothing short of wanting to launch the RBK50 router and sattelite out the window.

Does the suporting community have any suggestions should disabling Armour not resolve my intermittent drop out issues @FURRYe38 @Marky-P ? Should I look to take to replace it as per the incident case with Netgear support? I didnt think they troubleshooted in length hence Ive gone down the path on the recommended router config changes. 

If I there is nothing else if the disabling of netgear armour not resolve my intermittent drop out issues I will probably look to replace with a new orbi rbk50 and if it continues to drop out after and should it contnue to drop out after that, surely its time to give up. This has been such a frustrating experience and I can now see alot of customer disassitsfaction on this product which I probably should have done research and taken note.

But when you make a small investment at this price tag, you expect the performance and importantly the stability as advertised. Extremely disappointed thus far.

Message 13 of 25
my_coron
Tutor

It has dropped out again with the NetGear Armour disabled.

I've followed all recommendations suggested by @FURRYe38 

Can anyone please assist here for any other suggestions for I go and return the device?

Message 14 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you disable Armor thru it's app or did you do a full factory reset and setup from scratch then do not enable Armor? 

@my_coron wrote:

It has dropped out again with the NetGear Armour disabled.

I've followed all recommendations suggested by @FURRYe38 

Can anyone please assist here for any other suggestions for I go and return the device?

Message 15 of 25
my_coron
Tutor

I just disabled it. I factory resent the orbi router before I started the journey in the list of recommendations. It was not clear that the disable of Armor was to be done via factory reset. So what needs to be done?
Message 16 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Seen it were even though users diable Armor in the Armor app, the service seem to still be running and sometimes have caused problems. Users have mentioned that doing a reset on the RBR and after the setup wizard completes, users don't re-enable Armor here, then have better experiences. 

If after this, the orbi still has problems, I would seek to return the unit or ask NG for additional help and or a RMA. 

Message 17 of 25
my_coron
Tutor

Sure - I've done that now and wait and see. Ive factory resetted and installed again and disabled armour from the setup.

If the wireless drops I'll look to get it replaced.

This has been a hugely frustrating experienced.

Ive spent all weekend making these changes in hope the orbi's would stay connected.

Will update on result.

Message 18 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Understand the frustrations, these things are not easy to setup nor troubleshoot. Hopefully something will get better. 

Message 19 of 25
my_coron
Tutor

And my only other frustration is that if disabling Armor is a troubleshooting known, why isnt it described in instructions? Naturally with the hype of already purchased the subscription for BitFender. 

Anyhow let's wait and see on the WiFi stability. As mentioned have follow @FURRYe38  all your instructions to date and will keep posted.

Message 20 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 21 of 25
my_coron
Tutor

It has dropped out again. I will look to replace this as advised. And of course its currenetly out of stock in my state so ill need to wait when it is re-stocked. This has been one of the most frustrating experiences and Il look to update and document a google review about this journey to warn of other users.

Message 22 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 23 of 25
my_coron
Tutor

an update- final one I hope

So the RBK50's are out of stock from the orginal place I purchased from.

Bit the bullet and purchased the RBK23 with x 2 sattelites.

Needless to say little effort setting up and has not dropped out ONCE

Outside of me enabling MU-MIMO & BEAMINGFORMING

runs like a dream.... until the next drop out.

Message 24 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible your 50 series could be faulty. Something to contact NG support about and see if they can help you with that system. Ask about an RMA. 

Not sure if I mentioned Voxels FW as well...Something to try on the 50 series if you choose to do so:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/m-p/1883...
You can revert back to stock FW if it doesn't work out for you. 

Let us know if the 20 series does the same thing or not. Hopefully not. 

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7