Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBK53 + Virgin Superhub 3 setup steps

outpostuk
Aspirant

Orbi RBK53 + Virgin Superhub 3 setup steps

Hi, 

I'm new to the community. I have just purchased the Orbi RBK53 system, and hope to use it with Virgin Media Cable, that I am have installed in a couple of weeks. It will come with the Suprhub 3, and I read that one of the members had the same setup.

What I would like is a step by step guide to setting it up, following the initial Virgin installation. At present, looking at the Orbi setup guide, I'm guessing (hoping) this is how it works?:

1. Virgin superhub is installed and working

2. Connect Orbi router to the superhub with an Ethernet cable

3. connect Orbi and switch on

4. Wait for the Orbi to run through the power-up routine

5. Once the Orbi router is up an running, then do the same with the satellites

6. Set up the Orbi network using an Ethernet connection and the Orbi App, and update firmware.

** At any point do I have to manually put the Superhub into modem mode, or switch off the wifi, or does the Orbi setup take care of all that automatically ?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
masonworld
Apprentice

Re: Orbi RBK53 + Virgin Superhub 3 setup steps

I don't have a SuperHub3, but I am almost certain that you will have to make changes to the SH3 config manually -- Orbi will not adjust SH3 config automatically.  As you suggest, you will want to put the SH3 into modem mode and turn SH3 WiFi off.

Note that the stability of the current version of Orbi firmware is in question -- hopefully there will be new FW out there before you go live.

Message 2 of 6
adhodgson
Aspirant

Hi,

I have the same setup.  I did it a bit differently:

1.  Get SuperHub working in factory mode without any configuration, preferably using a cable.

2.  Switch to modem mode.  At some point your system will be assigned a public IP address.  At this point switch off the cable modem because it won't accept any other connection at this point until it has been rebooted.

3.  Set up the Orbi as you describe, turning on the cable modem when you have the router plugged in.

The Orbi should get the public IP address and you can do all the cool router stuff.

You don't need to put the SuperHub in modem mode, you have a couple of options:

1.  Do the setup as you describe.  I wouldn't recommend this as you end up with double NAT, NAT provided by the Super Hub and NAT provided by the Orbi.  It makes port forwarding difficult.

2.  Keep the current configuration but switch the Orbi to access point mode.  I have never done this, but it keeps the SuperHub 3 as the router.  The only reason I may do this at some point is to utilise the other ethernet ports on the SuperHub, but I haven't ever used it as a router so don't know how good the port forwarding controls etc are on it.

Hope this helps,

Andrew.

Message 3 of 6
outpostuk
Aspirant

@masonworld.  Hi thanks for the info. Will look into this option further.

Message 4 of 6
outpostuk
Aspirant

Hi Andrew, 

Thanks for the options .... I'll look into them further. Have an installation date in a couple of weeks, so have time to investigate.

I believe the second option is similar to how my current set up is; BT Home Hub, with BT Whole Home Wifi. 

Message 5 of 6
outpostuk
Aspirant

Hi, just an update. I decided to test my Orbi by setting it up with my current BT Infinity Network. Went through the setup process, but couldn't get conneted to the internet. Decided to give the Orbi App a go, and set it up again through that, and it worked. All lights went out, and speed was 59mbps (which is normal). Going to try to use this to see if I can update the firmware at the weekend.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7