Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR 20 The Orbi has only one LAN port . the replaced router is now using 3LAN ports?

Tomb28
Aspirant

Orbi RBR 20 The Orbi has only one LAN port . the replaced router is now using 3LAN ports?

The Orbi 20 is replacing a Netgear AR93 which I am using 3 LAN ports.  Do I have to go to another Orbi model to get the job done?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Tom Brooks

Prospect, KY

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR 20 The Orbi has only one LAN port . the replaced router is now using 3LAN ports?

Non managed, smart and green ethernet switches are not recommended. General Gb LAN switches work well. 

If you get a managed switch, disable all IGMP protocols on the switch. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR 20 The Orbi has only one LAN port . the replaced router is now using 3LAN ports?

The RBR20 has only one LAN port (the satellite has two).  Thus, you can connect only one device to that port.  The device can be a $25 eight port gigabit ethernet switch, which allows you to connect five more devices.  (Or, you could purchase an even less expensive four port switch.)  People report problems with "managed" ethernet switches and recommend that certain features be turned off with those products.  If you do not want a switch, then, yes, you need a different Orbi.

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Non managed, smart and green ethernet switches are not recommended. General Gb LAN switches work well. 

If you get a managed switch, disable all IGMP protocols on the switch. 

Message 3 of 5
Tomb28
Aspirant

Thank you ever so much for all the information.  Looks like I will up and running tomorrow.

Regards

Tom

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7