Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi WiFi System wifi backhaul poor

blue_sky
Aspirant

Orbi WiFi System wifi backhaul poor

RBR 50 with 1 statellite

Firmware  V2.1.4.10 on both

2 Questions:

1.While speedtest in the orbi app shows 90Mbps upload and 90Mbps download, when I check on speedtest app on the same android phone, it shows 15 or 20 Mbps. Why the disconnect in two values ?

2. Why does wifi backhaul status is showing as poor and how do I fix it ?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 11
budy
Luminary

Betreff: Orbi WiFi System wifi backhaul poor

@blue_sky wrote:

RBR 50 with 1 statellite

2 Questions:

1.While speedtest in the orbi app shows 90Mbps upload and 90Mbps download, when I check on speedtest app on the same android phone, it shows 15 or 20 Mbps. Why the disconnect in two values ?

1) Your Orbi is conencted via ethernet to either your modem or internet router - you should always get the full speed of your internet connection from your Orbi router itself. It's not like the Orbi performs this speedtest over wireless.

2) Poor backhaul performance can stem from a lot of different reasons, which impact the reception of the wireless signals. Try moving your satellite around to find a better spot. There are also apps for Android and iOS which show you the current coverage of your wifi. You could just power off your satellite and use your phone to scout for a good place to put your satellite.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 2 of 11
blue_sky
Aspirant

Thanks for the info. 

How does ethernet backhaul helps ? What are the advantages ?

Message 3 of 11
budy
Luminary

Given the fact, that a wired ethernet connection is way superior to a wireless one, you will be getting better latency and better throughput from your wireless devices connected to your satellite.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 4 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi WiFi System wifi backhaul poor

What are the distances between the router and satellite? 30feet to begin with and maybe up to 50-60feet if in line of site or one wooden wall in between.

If it's reading poor status, move the satellite closer.

What is the size if your home? SqFeet?

What is the homes building materials?

@blue_sky wrote:

RBR 50 with 1 statellite

2 Questions:

Message 5 of 11
Carbuff2
Aspirant

I've noticed the same issue as #1: When I measure the speed in a given location (only a few feet from our RB53's satellite) the indicated MBPS is only 30% as fast as the speed indicated on the ORBI app's speed test.

I've tried different iPhone apps (same phone as the ORBI app, of course) and the disparity is the same.

Everything is working fine, I'm just curious...Smiley Frustrated

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What are the distances between the router and satellite? 30feet to begin with and maybe up to 50-60feet if in line of site or one wooden wall in between.

What is the size if your home? SqFeet?

What is the homes building materials?

What are the wired speed tests like with a PC and a web browser pointed at a speed test site?

@Carbuff2 wrote:

I've noticed the same issue as #1: When I measure the speed in a given location (only a few feet from our RB53's satellite) the indicated MBPS is only 30% as fast as the speed indicated on the ORBI app's speed test.

I've tried different iPhone apps (same phone as the ORBI app, of course) and the disparity is the same.

Everything is working fine, I'm just curious...Smiley Frustrated

Message 7 of 11
Carbuff2
Aspirant

Hi,

Remember, I'm not complaining about a lack of network effectiveness.  Just wondering why the Orbi app and the iPhone apps record such a different reading.

Centrallized Router & satellites are about 25 feet apart. I'll say one wooden wall between. (The house is a wood-frame split-level; router is in the upper level near the center of the building, one satellite is on the 'middle' level  (kitchen) and the other satellite on the lower level (family room).  With the ORBI speed test I get 150MBPS + at every corner of my half-acre property.  With two different speed test apps on my iPhone I only get 60 MBPS.

House is ~ 2700 sq feet.

My PC on a wired hookup sees 400 MBPS + on Speedtest.Net (which is what my provider promises). In the room with the router in it, I get 365 over wifi on the Orbi speed-test, and 120 with phone app #1, and 182 with app #2.

Robot Embarassed

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Possilbe speed differences between wifi mobile and apps...and the device. Possible problem with the app...

Message 9 of 11
Carbuff2
Aspirant

Are you saying that the ORBI app doesn't measure speed on the actual phone?  That it measures something internal and then reports the speed to the ORBI app?

If so, that might explain the discrepancy...

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Could be...

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements