Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi WiFi System

Nyirishman1877
Aspirant

Orbi WiFi System

I would like to know if the satelite needs to be hard wired to a device to receive singal or will it just send the wifi signal with just being plugged in and wireless linked to the orbi mother router?

Also does it handle lots of streaming like netflix, hulu, online gaming?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions

hi

the router must be in the middle of the two sats as the orbi currently only works in a star topology

so would have to be

sat -----------router ----------- sat

pete

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 12

All Replies
AC641
Luminary

The satellite does not have to be hard wired to the main router; it connects wirelessly.  Be aware that unlike some other Mesh systems each satellite has to communicate directly with the router.  Currently there is no daisy-chaining satellite to satellite communication.

Message 2 of 12
Nyirishman1877
Aspirant

Can you explain what you mean by "here is no daisy-chaining satellite to satellite communication."

Message 3 of 12
OrbiMan
Luminary

It is not a true mesh. Satellite can only talk to the main Orbi router. Satellite can't talk directly to other satellite. So you need to have your main Orbi in the center and the satellites all around.
Message 4 of 12
Nyirishman1877
Aspirant

Can I have the Orbi router in one room and 2 other satelites in other room so Main router in computer room. One satellite in the living room and the other satelite in the bed room.  So it would be from one end of apt to another starting with the router

Message 5 of 12

hi

the router must be in the middle of the two sats as the orbi currently only works in a star topology

so would have to be

sat -----------router ----------- sat

pete

Message 6 of 12
Nyirishman1877
Aspirant

So I guess one router and one satellite would be good enough for me then. No need to worry about where router goes then. But would be slot better then a nighhawk router and nighthawk extender
Message 7 of 12

indeed the orbi router and sat is far better than a r7000 wifi coverage wise

Message 8 of 12
Nyirishman1877
Aspirant

I understand that there is a light and glow on top of the sat and router can that light be turned off or does it always stay on

Message 9 of 12

omce started up and everything is working as it should the lights go out and only light up if omething is wrong

Message 10 of 12
Nyirishman1877
Aspirant

One last thing before i decide to purchase the product.  If there ever is an outage and the power comes back on. will the orbi router and satellite connect with no issue as it did during intial setup?

Message 11 of 12

@Nyirishman1877 wrote:

One last thing before i decide to purchase the product.  If there ever is an outage and the power comes back on. will the orbi router and satellite connect with no issue as it did during intial setup?

yes if the power drops and comes back on the orbi system will startup and connect again , the lights do come on at this time for about a minute till the system reconnects and then they go blue and turn off

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7