Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi with fios

timc166293
Aspirant

Orbi with fios

I have Fios.  When using their router I get 900Mbs both directions.

When using Orbi I get about 500 down and near 900 up.

Why the big difference?

Thanks!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi with fios

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

I would try option #3

Try a factory reset and set up from scratch with the Orbi, be sure to not enable QoS, Traffice Meter or Access controls, Circle. 

Try testing with IPv6 disabled or enabled.

Message 2 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

Please give feed back on questions presented...

@timc166293 wrote:

Why the big difference?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 14
timc166293
Aspirant

Yes - You don't fully understand the issue.  I dont want to use the Fios router.  All your solutions state using their router.

All works great less half the speed.

Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to contact the ISP to check to see if there router can be removed from the mix. Some ISPs require the use of there router. Options were given in these cases. If you can remove there router, then the Orbi can be used in router mode. 

How are you testing the speeds? wired PC and web browser or speedtest.net app? Try different browsers? 

Try disabling IPv6 if it's enabled. 

Try directly connecting a wired PC to the ONT and speedtest there. 

Try a factory reset on the Orbi router and setup from scratch, this time, don't enable QoS, Traffice Meter or access controls after setting it up. Do a speedtest first. 

Message 5 of 14
timc166293
Aspirant

see below.....  thanks

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You'll need to contact the ISP to check to see if there router can be removed from the mix. Some ISPs require the use of there router. Options were given in these cases. If you can remove there router, then the Orbi can be used in router mode. 

How are you testing the speeds? wired PC and web browser or speedtest.net app? Try different browsers? 

Different browsers, same speedtest, different results (half the speed), but consistent.

Try disabling IPv6 if it's enabled. 

It is.

Try directly connecting a wired PC to the ONT and speedtest there. 

950mbs

Try a factory reset on the Orbi router and setup from scratch, this time, don't enable QoS, Traffice Meter or access controls after setting it up. Do a speedtest first. 

Will hold off on this as it sounds like a guess and not based on facts / histroy - as I have three remote nodes.

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

You can do a search here in the forums if you need to find history. 

Message 7 of 14
timc166293
Aspirant

I have found mutiple issues on this topic back from 2017 with no solutions.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-cuts-download-speed-in-half-Upload-seems-fine/m-p/1464401

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-wired-speeds-cut-in-half/m-p/1634162

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Bandwidth/m-p/1161882

Outside of a reset I seem stuck. Power cycle is same issue.

Thanks

Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the suggested reset on the router. 

I got this last year with my CBK40 system. Only difference is the built in modem from the RBK systems:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/CBR40-Speed-Test-Results/m-p/1671726...

I presume the RBK50/40s should be seeing same results. 

Message 9 of 14
ekhalil
Master

@timc166293 wrote:

Why the big difference?

Thanks!

- What speed do you get when you do the Orbi built-in Speed Test?

- Did you have any other wired devices connected to Orbi when you did the speed test from the PC?

- Do you have wired backhaul to a satellite?

Message 10 of 14
timc166293
Aspirant

Yes from router

No just single PC

Fiber
Message 11 of 14
ekhalil
Master

@timc166293 wrote:
Yes from router

No just single PC

Fiber

Thanks, my questions were as follows:

- What speed do you get when you do the Orbi built-in Speed Test that you can find here in the web GUI:

Namnlöst.png

You can also find the same testing in the Orbi phone app.

- Did you have any other wired devices connected to Orbi when you did the speed test from the PC? Anything else connected to the LAN ports in the router or the satellite?

- Do you have wired backhaul to a satellite? Is the router connected to the satellite(s) using Ethernet cable or wireless?

Thank you

Message 12 of 14
timc166293
Aspirant

Yes Web GUI and through orbi app and speedtest.net.  All consistent.

Test when no traffic but see 60 devices or so connected; sonos, PC, iphones, TVs, etc.

All remotes are wireless, but we are testing from orbi router up-stream.  I am confused why this question matters.

Thanks!

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7