Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OrbiOS 2.1.1

Richard1864
Luminary

An article mentioning Android 8 causing wifi issues, and mentioning that Google is working on the issue.  Samsung, LG, Motorola, and LG all have have similar complaints on their forums.  

The issue seems to be quite widespread, with reports on Google's Pixel Phone Help forum , reddit , and Netgear's forums . Most accounts of problems seem to be coming from people using Netgear's Orbi routers, but other reports are trickling in from those with other mesh systems, including routers by Cisco and eero, with a small number people using non-mesh access points affected as well.

https://hk.saowen.com/a/3850999a52d59ad1b0ac031e5e28204a04a70287a131c8f909e370643bb2a674

Message 251 of 372
tomsliwowski
Apprentice

Here is the original article link without the dodgy saowen.com links:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/12/24/android-8-oreo-may-causing-wi-fi-connection-problems-mesh-ro...

That said, I've had 0 reboot issues on my RBK50 kit and my Pixel XL running 8.0 or 8.1

Message 252 of 372
JoeM845
Luminary

@setham wrote:

Timestamp on the raspberry pi 3, not the router/satellites. You can also enable telnet and debug at the router at http://router-ip/debug.htm

Thanks
Message 253 of 372
robertcdh
Apprentice

I'll try capturing the logs after work. Where do we send the log files?
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 254 of 372
fitsnugly
Star

@robertcdh wrote:
I'll try capturing the logs after work. Where do we send the log files?

I was told to use the Attach Files to Support Case link on the MyNETGEAR page.

Message 255 of 372
rhester72
Virtuoso

It's worth pointing out again that Orbi's 1.x line of firmware does not seem to exhibit this behavior, which strongly suggests that a) the kernel version is different between 1.x and 2.x and b) there was a change introduced between those kernels that causes the panic.

Message 256 of 372
madbrain
Luminary

Since I am masochistic, I put my Orbi back online yesterday . Loaded the 2.1.2 beta firmware on the Orbi router and both satellites. Turned off Wifi on my R7000 router, and put Orbi in AP mode.

Got an Orbi reboot within 30 minutes while watching a video on my Samsung Galaxy Tab tablet. When that happened, the SSID disappeared completely in the tablet's Wifi settings. I was stationary having dinner when it happened - no roaming.

Later in the night, I decided to run the Orbi in AP mode on a separate SSID named ORBISUCKS, and reconfigured 4 Wifi devices to use the new SSID :

- 2 Wemo power switches

- Emotorwerks Juicebox electric car charger

- Emotorwerks/Aerovironment electric car charger

Those are all stationary plug-in devices, so there is no roaming involved whatsoever.

None of these 4 devices are running Android.

Wemo runs on DD-WRT and the Emotorwerks devices run on the Zentri platform.

Nonetheless, I just checked the logs on my Orbi, and it rebooted itself at 4:50 am, about an hour after I went to sleep.

So, I can categorically say that the reboots on my Orbi at least happen even without any Android device.

I am keeping all my other Wifi devices (2 smartphones, 1 tablet, 3 laptops) on the R7000 Wifi for now. R7000 has not spontaneously rebooted. I have about 40 more devices, but the vast majority are plug-in, not Wifi.

Message 257 of 372
wase4711
Luminary

Well, if anyone cares, I grabbed the Orbi PRO today, and setup was flawless; also, have several ANDROID devices on my network running perfectly as well.

I know its only been about 8 hours, but, by now, my Orbi home would have had drops, if not reboots, so this might be the answer for those of you who can return your Orbi Home units, and swap them out for pros..

I had it connected as an Router, AND as an Access Point, with no issues either way..

Message 258 of 372
Blcklab
Apprentice

when 2.1.1 beta did not provide any greater stability to .16 I went back to .74. It was reasonably more stable though not as stable as when I originally purchased my Orbi. Anyhow, over the past few days it's like .74 grows more and more unstable where I now get "Connected, No Internet" on my Android devices and the Orbi ring is glowing.

This is a new issue with no change in environment. I'm well past the return period. I was VERY satisfied when I initailly bought this. @darrenm Do the powers that be know folks are ditching the product? We're a vocal group here. I'm sure regualr users who just want a PnP experience have returned their's or told friends not to get it.

Message 259 of 372
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

Actually, I am very interested in the Pro version.
I have been looking at my options today as I have just about had enough of this version.
Unfortunately I have been unable,so far, to find any actual user reviews. Review sites all seem to have their favourites and normally do not test in a home user type environment.
I have just been reading up on the Asus Aimesh as an alternative but that is very early days to get any sort of overall feedback.

So yes, I for one will be keeping an eye out for any updates on the Pro.

Good luck and hope it goes well for you.
Message 260 of 372
wase4711
Luminary

thanks; been streaming 4k videos on Kodi, and watching Dolby vision shows on netflix at the same time, with no bufferring, drops, or disconnects...so far, works better than any of the other 5 systems I have tried up to this point..

Message 261 of 372
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

Did the Pro require a Firmware update as part of the setup or is it running as shipped?

TIA
Message 262 of 372
wase4711
Luminary

firmware update as soon as I got it setup...

An update, I have 4- 4k tv's in the house; right now, watching 8k you tube videos on 2 of them, 4kuhd Netflix on another, and streaming 4k Kodi on another...NEVER was I able to do that with any of the previous things I tested, and no bufferring, stuttering, drops, or anything weird on any of the tv's. all connected via wifi..

We may have a winner here finally, after weeks of testing various products..

Message 263 of 372
lowepg
Apprentice

What are the major differences with the Pro?

im interested. I have to admit though- part of me hates the idea of rewarding Netgear with more business because the standard orbis are such a cluster-&&*&^&*

Message 264 of 372
setham
Star

@lowepg wrote:

+$250 for the 3-pack Smiley LOL

Message 265 of 372
lowepg
Apprentice

Yeah... I know more expensive.

But are the radios the same? Same coverage? Speed?

In other words- is all we’re getting for the price increase a working version of the same old orbi?

Message 266 of 372
setham
Star

@lowepg wrote:

Yeah... I know more expensive.

But are the radios the same? Same coverage? Speed?

In other words- is all we’re getting for the price increase a working version of the same old orbi?

Was a joke 😕 ... I am stuck with my home edition for now....

Message 267 of 372
wase4711
Luminary

3 wifi networks

many more admin functions

works perfectly in either router mode or AP mode

obviously, better firmware, since it works without issue

looks a little different

range seems better, but might be placebo

no bugs or issues..

Message 268 of 372
madbrain
Luminary

@lowepg wrote:

im interested. I have to admit though- part of me hates the idea of rewarding Netgear with more business because the standard orbis are such a cluster-&&*&^&*

Yeah, I have got to say also, if they don't fix the Orbis we paid for, they are never going to see another dollar from me.

They need to fix their existing product line first.

Message 269 of 372
MrX911
Apprentice

OK I've moaned alot about the last 2 firmwares fior several months to the extent that I went out and trialed Amflifi and Google, both were 100% stable and I decided on the Amplifi and stuck the Orbi away. I think it only fair i report sonething positive back:

Then the latest beta came out and I had some spare time.

I have to say that I have not had a single drop in the last 2 weeks. The only thing that is not working for me is Daisy Chain but I have Good wifi backhaul on 3 satallites.

I'm running 60 cliients at peak mainly Apple, Amazon, CCTV but no Android devices other than Android on a couple of 4k TVs.

All devices are reporting correct attachment too.

The Amplifi is now boxed up and my retrun window with that is 31st Jan. Crossing fingers that things only improve and netgear learn some valuable lesssons too. 

Message 270 of 372
litgear
Guide

For what it's worth I have a Pixel XL on the December/January 8.1 patches for the last 36 days and no drops on 2.0.0.74. It will occasionally slow to a crawl but I do think that's my ISP.

orb.PNG

Message 271 of 372
tinypocket
Guide

I was just about to post that I experienced my first drop on 1.11.0.20. I woke up this morning and had the (!) symbol over my wifi on my Samsung Galaxy S8 phone. I tried and of course there was no internet. I tried on my laptop and the same... A few minutes later it came back...great, another reset!

Then I logged in to Orbi and see that it updated to V2.0.0.74. I see that there are a handful of folks that don't have issues with that fimrware, but still seems the majority do. NETGEAR! Please stop updating folks on 1.11.0.20 to a newer broken firmware! I'll also create a support request asking for official support to stop auto updating this version.

Message 272 of 372
Blcklab
Apprentice

I wanted to use that firmware too and it updated almost instantly. I think the update freeze is only in 2.x versions.

I'm almost ready to toss this is in trash. My ring doorbell drops. Adt drops. These aren't just convenience devices, they're my home security
Message 273 of 372

Message 274 of 372
tinypocket
Guide

Was also just looking at Orbi Pro (https://www.netgear.com/support/product/SRK60.aspx#download). I believe the only reason folks arnen't seeing drops is that it's using a 1.x.x.x kernel (latest Orbi Pro FW is 1.12.1.28). I imagine if they updated to 2.x.x.x it would drop also. Looks like Netgear needs drop the 2.x firmware, ensure 1.x works for folks, then figure out how to properly re-write 2.x.

Message 275 of 372
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7