Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Phantom IP address

PlatinumGoat
Apprentice

Phantom IP address

Hi everyone,

I noticed through a LAN scan with a third party app that there is an IP address ending with .250 in my system. The Genie and Orbi apps on my iphone cannot detect this IP address or any device attached to it. I suspect this may be a 2nd IP address given to the satellite? Has anyone seen or experience this? Right now the IP address assigned to my satellite ends with .3. Thanks.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

Re: Phantom IP address

The satellites have a hardcoded backup IP ending in .250. Many devices from other manufacturers include a secondary hardcoded backup IP, so you can access the device if the user misconfigures the device. Nothing to worry about.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

The satellites have a hardcoded backup IP ending in .250. Many devices from other manufacturers include a secondary hardcoded backup IP, so you can access the device if the user misconfigures the device. Nothing to worry about.

Message 2 of 5
PlatinumGoat
Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. But I can't access the router with .250. Just worried that somehow an unknown device managed to connect to my network.

Message 3 of 5
st_shaw
Master

I believe 192.168.1.250 is the hardcoded factory default IP for the Orbi satellite.  You can't access the device at the .250 IP after it boots up and obtains a new IP from your router. Your scanner must have been running while a satellite booted up.

If you are still concerned about it, then power off your Orbi router, disconnect and power off the satellite, then reboot the Satellite, and connect a wired device to a LAN port on the satellite, and see if you can access it 192.168.1.250.

Message 4 of 5
st_shaw
Master

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7