Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Physical placement RBK23

Smouritsen
Aspirant

Physical placement RBK23

Hi
Thinking of acquiring a RBK23 setup.

My internet comes into basement in corner of house (60 sqm), then RBR will be next to modem. One RBS on either gnd or 1st floor and second RBS on 2nd floor. We have concrete layers between floors - no option at all to run ethernet cabling anywhere!

Will this work with backhaul connection RBR<->RBS<->RBS? I can not find any documentation stating that a connection from farthest RBS to RBR via another RBS is ok?

Hope for clarification. Thanks

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Physical placement RBK23

@Smouritsen wrote:

We have concrete layers between floors - no option at all to run ethernet cabling anywhere!

Concrete floors can present a serious obstacle to WiFi signals.

As long as the satellite ring light turns blue, the Daisy Chain design will be fine.

If the signal cannot penetrate the concrete floors, the only solutions are (a) ethernet cable, (b) Powerline adapters, or (c) MoCHA if there is existing coax cable between floors.

There are probably lots of components that penetrate the floors, including water pipes, drain pipes, heating and cooling plenums, etc. Ethernet cable can often be snaked alongside those components. (There is even "plenum rated" cable that can go inside air ducts.)

There is also outdoor rated ethernet cable that could be run up the side of the building.

I have mixed feelings about Powerline. When it works, it's great.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
Smouritsen
Aspirant

Disregard my Q, I found the article about daisy chaining, so should all be good!

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@Smouritsen wrote:

We have concrete layers between floors - no option at all to run ethernet cabling anywhere!

Concrete floors can present a serious obstacle to WiFi signals.

As long as the satellite ring light turns blue, the Daisy Chain design will be fine.

If the signal cannot penetrate the concrete floors, the only solutions are (a) ethernet cable, (b) Powerline adapters, or (c) MoCHA if there is existing coax cable between floors.

There are probably lots of components that penetrate the floors, including water pipes, drain pipes, heating and cooling plenums, etc. Ethernet cable can often be snaked alongside those components. (There is even "plenum rated" cable that can go inside air ducts.)

There is also outdoor rated ethernet cable that could be run up the side of the building.

I have mixed feelings about Powerline. When it works, it's great.

Message 3 of 7
Smouritsen
Aspirant

I decided to give it a go - and boy am I happy I did 👍🏻 I have a 1000/100 coax connextion, and with my RBR in basement, a RBS on ground floor and another RBS on 2nd floor, I am measuring between 5-700 Mbps download and 105-115 Mbps upload. Absolutely fantastic.

Took a little fiddling around to get it up and running, since it was a pre-owned system and I had to reset all three devices first.

But super happy with my buy!

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Basements are not recommended places for main host router such as the RBR. Concrete and steel will impact wifi signal coverage and performances. Main or 2nd level is recommended for main wifi routers. 

Message 5 of 7
Smouritsen
Aspirant

I know basements are not optimal, but due internet access into house and layout, this unfortunately is the only option, as "house CEO" is against ALL visible cable pulls... 🙂

Message 6 of 7
vajim
Master

@Smouritsen wrote:

I know basements are not optimal, but due internet access into house and layout, this unfortunately is the only option, as "house CEO" is against ALL visible cable pulls... 🙂

and most of us understand that a happy "house CEO" means a happy life.  Nice work

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7