Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Power supply

DiogoHC
Guide

Power supply

I need a power supply for the Orbi RBS50Y that works in Portugal - 220v. The one that comes with the equipment is only rated for 100-120v 

Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions

@DiogoHC wrote:

I need a power supply for the Orbi RBS50Y that works in Portugal - 220v. The one that comes with the equipment is only rated for 100-120v 

It will work on 240 volts. Ignore the label.

Been there, done that. You just need an adpter for US - Portugal sockets.

What's the model number On the adapter? AD2110F10?

More than a year on, it still works.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 18

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

This product claims to work with RBS50Y and comes with suitable adapter.  (How they do that is somewhat of a mystery.)

https://www.amazon.com/NetGear-Nighthawk-R6700-R6700-100NAS-R6900-100NAS/dp/B00RDP6QVC/ref=sr_1_2?ke... 

Basically, you want an adapter that provides 2.5amp at 12v output, with the same size plug as most Netgear products take.

Message 2 of 18
plemans
Guru

If you don't have a use for the one you're using, i'd try plugging it in and seeing if it worked (in a safe spot). I know that many that are used in the EU only have rated to 120v on the plugs but work up to 220v. If you plug it in and test it and it works. yaaaa. If its not rated, it blows and potentially trips a breaker. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBK20W-Power-Supply-Moving-US-to-Europe/td-p/1806838

Message 3 of 18
DiogoHC
Guide

Thank you for your answer. The problem is that the RBS50Y is an outdoor equipment, and the original power supply has all kinds of protections against the elements - rain, dust, etc.

The one you mention should make it work, but without these protections - so it won’t work for me

Message 4 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

Of course.  I wasn't thinking.  (Have virtually no outside electrical outlets!  I drill through the wall to install almost everything!)

The Installation Guide (http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBS50Y/RBS50Y_QSG_EN.pdf ) says that the power adapter "varies by region".  I realize this is not much help because Netgear doesn't sell power supplies as separate items.

Outdoor lighting is often 12v.  Perhaps a visit to a local home center or landscape supply place?

Message 5 of 18
plemans
Guru

Message 6 of 18

@DiogoHC wrote:

Message 7 of 18

Message 8 of 18
DiogoHC
Guide

@michaelkenward wrote:

@DiogoHC wrote:

Thanks for your help.

Actualy the model is AD10330LF, but I decided to give it a try on 220v and it works.

Message 9 of 18

@DiogoHC wrote:

Actualy the model is AD10330LF, but I decided to give it a try on 220v and it works.

Great feedback. Very helpful. It could help someone who turns up here with the same issue.

It is puzzling that Netgear does not label adapters properly. Perhaps it is a legal thing in the USA.

Message 10 of 18
plemans
Guru

Maybe the certifications are different for other countries so its just cheaper to label them for single region use only? 

Message 11 of 18

@plemans wrote:

Maybe the certifications are different for other countries so its just cheaper to label them for single region use only? 

Sounds about right.

But that just tells me that Netgear is run by a bunch of cheapskates.

Message 12 of 18
plemans
Guru

At least they didn't pull the capability from the power supply. That'd probably be even cheaper.
Message 13 of 18

@plemans wrote:
At least they didn't pull the capability from the power supply. That'd probably be even cheaper.

The Chinese factories that make these things probably charge more for single-voltage adapters.

Message 14 of 18
schumaku
Guru

@plemans wrote:

I know that many that are used in the EU only have rated to 120v on the plugs but work up to 220v. If you plug it in and test it and it works. yaaaa. If its not rated, it blows and potentially trips a breaker. 

Or it will cause a fire. Good luck explaining your insurance company! In my opinion these advices here are criminal.

Of course e.g. Amazon will deliver US power supplies if people are going to order from online stores intended for other contients. Netgear does supply the correct power supplies to the distribution channels for each market.

Message 15 of 18
CrimpOn
Guru

@schumaku wrote:

Netgear does supply the correct power supplies to the distribution channels for each market.

This is great news.  I have been wanting to purchase an "official" Netgear power supply for the RBS50Y.  Can you post a link to the distribution channel that carries them in the US?

Message 16 of 18

@schumaku wrote:

@plemans wrote:

I know that many that are used in the EU only have rated to 120v on the plugs but work up to 220v. If you plug it in and test it and it works. yaaaa. If its not rated, it blows and potentially trips a breaker. 

Or it will cause a fire. Good luck explaining your insurance company! In my opinion these advices here are criminal.

Most unlikely. That's just scaremongering.

A mains adapter is a low power device. The most likely outcome with an "overvolt" event is a quick bang and perhaps a bit of smoke.

If you use a fused extension lead, then you may blow a fuse.

The worst outcome would be for the circuit breaker to kick in.

If you are paranoid, plug the thing away from home.

But I am with @plemans mostly because I have tried a pile of Netgear adapters with the "wrong" voltage. Not one has caused problems or even gone bang.

Indeed, I'd be happy to check any part number against my own box of spare adapters.

Message 17 of 18
schumaku
Guru

@CrimpOn wrote:

@schumaku wrote:

Netgear does supply the correct power supplies to the distribution channels for each market.

I have been wanting to purchase an "official" Netgear power supply for the RBS50Y.  Can you post a link to the distribution channel that carries them in the US?

Mistaken - I've intended to state that Netgear products intended to be sold and used in a certain market, come with the appropriate power supply. RBS50Y-200EUS does come with an Europe and UK power supply, the RBS50Y-100NAS comes with an US power supply. Spare parts are a different story - especially for "exotic" product versions. Yes, Netgear (and Arlo - they have even more exotic connector power supplies) do indeed a bad job on the subject.

@Christian_R is certainy able assist to get a correct spare part over the Netgear support organisation.

@michaelkenward I'm aware that the internals of the different versions of switched power supplies can be very similar.  Most switched power supplies (not transformator bricks) specified for 230/240 V AC have markings for 110...230/240V AC. But no the other way round....  The fact that it does work does not make it correct and legal. I'm not willing to become responsive for a fire. Appears you are...

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7