Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK 753 constantly drops connection

ajbecker8
Aspirant

RBK 753 constantly drops connection

My RBK753 worked great for 5 months, but the last month has been a disaster. I’ve spent countless hours with support. After working fine for 5 mos it began losing connection frequently. Tech support recommended changing to AP mode due to competing IPs with my Fios gateway router. After the change it worked fine for just over a week, but now back to same issue of constantly dropping. Sometimes just unplugging it solves the issue but other times it doesn’t and hours later it will just randomly connect. It’s beyond frustrating. If I switch back to the Fios router that works fine (minus the dead spots which is why I bought the Orbi!)
I use the Fios quantum gateway for internet/tv/phone
Any suggestions would be appreciated; I’m at my wits end
Message 1 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBK 753 constantly drops connection

@ajbecker8 wrote:
After the change it worked fine for just over a week, but now back to same issue of constantly dropping. Sometimes just unplugging it solves the issue but other times it doesn’t and hours later it will just randomly connect. It’s beyond frustrating. If I switch back to the Fios router that works fine (minus the dead spots which is why I bought the Orbi!)

Do you have both WiFi systems active at the same time?

(My practice has been to give every new WiFi system exactly the same SSID/password as the one it  is replacing so that none of my devices have to be reconfigured and that I can "go back" just by swapping the units.)

Can you be more specific about what is "dropping".

• The WiFi SSID disappears?
  • Devices connected to the Orbi remain connected, but no longer can access the internet?
  • What does the Orbi web interface administrative web page show about the connection and Attached Devices?
Message 2 of 13
ajbecker8
Aspirant

Thx for the response the internet connection on the Orbi disconnects constantly. I can still see Orbi listed, but when it tries to connect it states no internet connection, it’s plugged directly into my fios router. If I plug another device into my fios router it works, so issue is with the Orbi itself. It seems the devices are still connected to Orbi WiFi, but states no internet connection
I’ve tried having the WiFi radio turned off and on on my fios, no difference either way.
I’m not familiar enough with the Admin pages and can only access them when I have a connection. Right now there is no connection to Orbi so I can’t go to admin page
Message 3 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

There is a difference between connection to Orbi and internet connection.

Fios assigns an IP address to the Orbi router (in AP mode, but we still call it the 'router').

If something is connected to the Orbi WiFi (even if it says "no internet") a web browser should be able to open the Orbi router by IP address, i.e. http://<ip of Orbi>.

Message 4 of 13
ajbecker8
Aspirant

Overnight my Orbi decided to get an internet connection again; so looking at the admin screen it now says internet status good; number of satellites:2 and number of devices:15
Message 5 of 13
ajbecker8
Aspirant

Now lost internet connection again, internet status is Waiting
Number of satellites 0
Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

The Orbi system relies on having a good connection from the host router or ISP modem/ONT. Make sure that these devices are working well. 

Message 7 of 13
ajbecker8
Aspirant

It’s the Fios quantum gateway g1100
Never had a problem with a stable internet connection from it
Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the RBR in router mode with the IP address the RBR gets from the G1100 input in to it's DMZ. Does problem still continue? 

Try powering OFF the RBR and G1100 for 30 seconds then back ON. 
Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePZSc7vnRlQ

@ajbecker8 wrote:
It’s the Fios quantum gateway g1100
Never had a problem with a stable internet connection from it

Message 9 of 13
ajbecker8
Aspirant

RBR was in router mode when all issues began. Tried factory resetting it multiple times with support. Support then recommended to put it in AP Mode because of a conflict with IPs with the Fios router
I did notice a firmware update and updated this morning. Orbi rebooted and haven’t had an internet connection through the Orbi since
Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, is RBR still in AP mode or back to router mode after FW update? 

@ajbecker8 wrote:
RBR was in router mode when all issues began. Tried factory resetting it multiple times with support. Support then recommended to put it in AP Mode because of a conflict with IPs with the Fios router
I did notice a firmware update and updated this morning. Orbi rebooted and haven’t had an internet connection through the Orbi since

Message 11 of 13
ajbecker8
Aspirant

Tried to check, but now Orbi has just been pulsing white for the last two hours and doesn’t show up as a network to connect to. I’m loathe to perform another factory reset
Also I cannot remove the Fios router as it handles the tv as well
Either my unit is defective or the Orbi does not work well with Fios
Message 12 of 13
ajbecker8
Aspirant

I know that document well unfortunately, but thank you
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos