Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK33 benefit of adding ethernet satellite RBS50

Mike3963
Aspirant

RBK33 benefit of adding ethernet satellite RBS50

Bought RBK33 system one year ago (RBR40 router, two RBW30 satellites).  Noted the satellites do not have ethernet ports.  My work laptop is connected to satellite via WiFi.  My VPN connection to work often drops and reconnects.  Will adding RBS50 satellite (with ethernet port) and connecting to laptop via Cat5 cable help?

Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK33 benefit of adding ethernet satellite RBS50

Possibly.

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

One can add a RBS20, or RBS40v as well. 

Message 2 of 13
Mike3963
Aspirant

Thanks.

current satellite RBW30 just updated firmware to 2.6.2.2.  Satellite is about 50 ft away from router.  Satellite is about 15 ft away from laptop.  Home is ~2300 sq ft.

Laptop is connected at 5GHz but setting is auto.

ISP is Spectrum.  Modem is Technicolor E31T2V1 which is DOCSIS 3.1 compatible.

Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try RBW a bit closer to the RBR. Maybe 40feet and see if this helps any...

Message 4 of 13
Mike3963
Aspirant

would anybody know if adding RBS20 or RBS40 with ethernet cable from satellite to nearby laptop would be better and more stable than wifi from existing satellite?  And is RBS20/40 a better match since the base router is AC2200 not AC3000?

Message 5 of 13
plemans
Guru

@Mike3963 wrote:

would anybody know if adding RBS20 or RBS40 with ethernet cable from satellite to nearby laptop would be better and more stable than wifi from existing satellite?  And is RBS20/40 a better match since the base router is AC2200 not AC3000?

Before trying that, why not hardwire your pc/laptop into the router and see if its stable with your vpn?

If that is the only device with issues, I'd check to ensure hardwiring helps before investing in another satellite that we can't 100% say will help. 

Message 6 of 13
Mike3963
Aspirant

I'll try it thanks (although the router is 70 ft away).

If the performance is better (no VPN drop) when connected via ethernet direct to router, should I expect the same performance if I add RBS20 and connect to that satellite via ethernet cable? 

Message 7 of 13
plemans
Guru

@Mike3963 wrote:

If the performance is better (no VPN drop) when connected via ethernet direct to router, should I expect the same performance---the same performance? no. but its worth trying. You could also try moving your rbs to the midpoint and see if it helps at that point. There's several different things you can test before buying a satellite to help ensure it'd fix the issue.  if I add RBS20 and connect to that satellite via ethernet cable? 

Message 8 of 13
Mike3963
Aspirant

thanks.  would you expect performance would be better with an additional (new) RBS20 satellite connected to laptop via ethernet ... compared with current wifi connection to current satellite?

Message 9 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@Mike3963 wrote:

It's a laptop. My first experiment would be to move the laptop to the router and plug it in.

There are so many things that can interfere with VPN connections that it is pure conjecture as to what effect adding another satellite (with an ethernet jack) will accomplish.  One thing for certain: if the VPN connection is flaky connected directly to the router, then nothing done with satellites will improve it.

Message 10 of 13
Mike3963
Aspirant

thanks very much!

Message 11 of 13
Mike3963
Aspirant

So temporarily moving my laptop into my wife's office and connecting via ethernet into the router is far more stable - only one VPN drop in 20 hr.  Back to my previous question - will adding a satellite RBS20 or RBS40 and then connecting my laptop via ethernet to the new satellite make a difference? (I can't move the router and don't want to drill holes and run a 100-ft ethernet cable through the attic.)  Thanks.

Message 12 of 13
plemans
Guru

We can't say 100% if it'll make a difference. theoretically it should but application is different. 

All we can say is buy it from somewhere with a generous return policy so if it doen't help, you can return it. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7