Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR20 with Skype and Facetime

blacknatty
Aspirant

RBR20 with Skype and Facetime

RBR20 with 2 satellites. Motorola surfboard sb6121 modem. Since I got Orbi, Skype and Facetime don't work. I've tried my Windows based pc (which is wired), my wireless mac laptop, my iPad. People can see my video on both platforms, but audio is mostly gone - cuts in occasionally. I've checked settings on all devices, they are fine and work normally on other applications. Talked to my ISP and Motorola, they say it isn't them. My internet speeds are fine, download 136.25, upload 21.5.  The modem is basic and doesn't have advanced config settings. They're saying it  has to be the router. Is there a setting on the Orbi that I don't know about that might be affecting this? 

Message 1 of 39

Accepted Solutions
blacknatty
Aspirant

Re: RBR20 with Skype and Facetime

Here's an image of what my ports are now. Not sure what I started with and it doesn't list here what is for FaceTime. He worked so quickly that I didn't copy down everything that he changed. Service type is set to port triggering. 

He also put me back on daisy chain because of the layout of my house and the stone interior walls. Interestingly, the far satellite currently shows good signal although the closer one shows poor. Both are working fine for my needs though. 

View solution in original post

Message 38 of 39

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

Do you know if your ISP supports IPv6? If not then please make sure to disable IPv6 in Orbi. If yes then you need to get the correct IPv6 information (fromyour ISP) in iPv6 settings in Orbi.

Message 2 of 39
blacknatty
Aspirant

Hi Ekhalil, 

Thanks for the reply. No, my ISP does not support IPv6. I show it disabled on my Orbi dashboard. Any other ideas?

Message 3 of 39
ekhalil
Master

@blacknatty wrote:

Hi Ekhalil, 

Thanks for the reply. No, my ISP does not support IPv6. I show it disabled on my Orbi dashboard. Any other ideas?

1. Do you use wired or wireless backhaul?
  2. Do you the same issue if attached to the router as when attached to one of the satellites? Wired as well as wireless?
  3. Is Daisy Chain enabled or disabled (in advanced wireless settings)? If you're not using daisy chain configuration then please disable it.
  4. Please make sure that WMM and MU-MIMO are enabled (in advanced wireless settings),
Message 4 of 39
blacknatty
Aspirant

I think I understand your questions, let me know if I get it wrong. 

I am using both wired and wireless - the pc and laptop and ipad. (backhaul?) I have the same issues on all devices. I can see and hear the person on the other end, they can see me but not hear me. On all 3 devices, on either Facetime or Skype. 

Daisy Chain is enabled, that is my setup with my 2 satellites. 

WMM and MU-MIMU are both enabled in advanced settings. 

Message 5 of 39
Chuck_M
Mentor

You may want to disable daisy chain unless your satellites are to act like a chain (e.g. data goes from router to satellite A and then to satellite B and then to a device).  Typically your router would pass data to EITHER satellite A or B and then to a device.

Which configuration do you have?  If it is EITHER/OR then disable Daisy chain and test again.

Can you also please tell us what firmware version your router and satellites have?  

Message 6 of 39
blacknatty
Aspirant

Hi Chuck, 

Thanks for weighing in. I was using daisy chain bc the router was basically at one end of the house with one satellite midway and the other at the far end. House is 3000 sq ft and has lots of interior stone walls. I've disabled daisy chain now. 

I'm having some trouble with the far end satellite staying hooked up without it being on daisy chain. 

Tested Facetime on wireless. I can report it works fine from my end (as it did before). The other party says the audio is about 90% there (it was about 5 to 10% working before) but my video did not work at all. Video worked fine before. I don't know if that's going to remain a problem or if that was a one time thing.

My firmware is V2.2.1.210 for the router and V2.2.1.204 for the satellites. The dashboard says no new versions available. 

Message 7 of 39
ekhalil
Master

@blacknatty wrote:

Tested Facetime on wireless. I can report it works fine from my end (as it did before). The other party says the audio is about 90% there (it was about 5 to 10% working before) but my video did not work at all. Video worked fine before. I don't know if that's going to remain a problem or if that was a one time thing.

- When you did this last testing, were you close to the router or to one of the satellites? Does it make a difference if you are closer to router or satellite?

- Do you get same results if you try from a wired device to the router?

@blacknatty wrote:

My firmware is V2.2.1.210 for the router and V2.2.1.204 for the satellites. The dashboard says no new versions available. 

Do you have RBW30 satellites (the plug-in satellites with no LAN ports)? This is the only satellite which has 2.2.1.204 as latest firmware.

Message 8 of 39
blacknatty
Aspirant

I did this test close to the router on a wireless device (iPad). My satellite #2 was not working.  I did not try it from the wired device as I was calling Facetime and my wired pc is Windows-based. I am going to try using Skype on the pc tomorrow.

When I bought my setup July of 2018, it was router RBR20 and 2 RBW30 wall plug satellites. 

Message 9 of 39
ekhalil
Master

@blacknatty wrote:

I did this test close to the router on a wireless device (iPad). My satellite #2 was not working.  ......

One other test to do with facetime (to confirm it's not a throughput issue) is to start your facetime call with only audio, will you get both-way audio then? Now during the call, switch to video. If sound works now, end the call and make a video call.

Message 10 of 39
Chuck_M
Mentor

Ok, so you are configured where daisy chain SHOULD be on... thanks for that description.

I think you are a candidate for trying the new (stable) firmware.

@ekhalil or @FURRYe38  == can you pass to @blacknatty the POC for the Beta?  I am thinking this might solve his issues.  Thoughts?

Message 11 of 39
ekhalil
Master

@Chuck_M wrote:

@ekhalil or @FURRYe38  == can you pass to @blacknatty the POC for the Beta?  I am thinking this might solve his issues.  Thoughts?

Unfortunately, currently the beta sw is only available for RBR50 & RBS50 😞

Message 12 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

I would do this, file a support ticket here:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

Once you get in contact the NG support and reference this thread, I would ask them, if they cant' get this working for you, if they might have a beta they can directly pass to you to see if that might help your situation for your model Orbi. Hopefully a forum moderator can help effect this as well.

@Blanca_O 

@blacknatty wrote:

RBR20 with 2 satellites. Motorola surfboard sb6121 modem. Since I got Orbi, Skype and Facetime don't work. I've tried my Windows based pc (which is wired), my wireless mac laptop, my iPad. People can see my video on both platforms, but audio is mostly gone - cuts in occasionally. I've checked settings on all devices, they are fine and work normally on other applications. Talked to my ISP and Motorola, they say it isn't them. My internet speeds are fine, download 136.25, upload 21.5.  The modem is basic and doesn't have advanced config settings. They're saying it  has to be the router. Is there a setting on the Orbi that I don't know about that might be affecting this? 

Message 13 of 39
blacknatty
Aspirant

OK, as I see it I would need to purchase a support plan at this stage? I'm way past my covered support date. Or am I missing something?

Message 14 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

I would make contact with @Blanca_O as see what is available and can be done. 

@blacknatty wrote:

OK, as I see it I would need to purchase a support plan at this stage? I'm way past my covered support date. Or am I missing something?

Message 15 of 39
blacknatty
Aspirant

Thank you FURRYe38, I'll do that. Thanks everyone for your efforts on my behalf.

Message 16 of 39
ekhalil
Master

@blacknatty Have you tried this test:

“One other test to do with facetime (to confirm it's not a throughput issue) is to start your facetime call with only audio, will you get both-way audio then? Now during the call, switch to video. If sound works now, end the call and make a video call.”

Message 17 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out. Smiley Wink

@blacknatty wrote:

Thank you FURRYe38, I'll do that. Thanks everyone for your efforts on my behalf.

Message 18 of 39
blacknatty
Aspirant

I was able to Facetime on iPad yesterday internationally, all worked fine. Skype still does not work on wired pc. Now that my daisy chain is disabled, the farthest satellite constantly shows orange on my phone app but does not have any lights the actual unit showing any errors. I've moved it closer to the router into a hallway instead of the bedroom, but the error still shows on the app even after resetting a few times. My devices still work fine streaming in the bedroom though. Still standing by to get a reply from Blanca, she's still checking into it.

Message 19 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

@blacknatty wrote:

I was able to Facetime on iPad yesterday internationally, all worked fine. Skype still does not work on wired pc. Now that my daisy chain is disabled, the farthest satellite constantly shows orange on my phone app but does not have any lights the actual unit showing any errors. I've moved it closer to the router into a hallway instead of the bedroom, but the error still shows on the app even after resetting a few times. My devices still work fine streaming in the bedroom though. Still standing by to get a reply from Blanca, she's still checking into it.

Message 20 of 39
blacknatty
Aspirant

The house is abt 3200 sq feet. Many walls (including interior walls) are a local limestone. The first satellite is about 34' away from the router. The second used to be 26' further past the first satellite. I've moved it so it's now only 12' past from the first satellite. There are not outlets between the one it's currently in and the one it was originally in: it's either 12' or 26' away from the first satellite. (which makes it about 46' or 60' away from the router. It worked fine at 60' away but I can't get it to sync at the 46' mark.)

Message 21 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

I see, does having Daisy Chain enabled helped the farthest satellite to have a good connetion to the nearest satellite. 

Sounds like this is more of a FW issue though. I would make contact with NG moderator and support. 

@blacknatty wrote:

The house is abt 3200 sq feet. Many walls (including interior walls) are a local limestone. The first satellite is about 34' away from the router. The second used to be 26' further past the first satellite. I've moved it so it's now only 12' past from the first satellite. There are not outlets between the one it's currently in and the one it was originally in: it's either 12' or 26' away from the first satellite. (which makes it about 46' or 60' away from the router. It worked fine at 60' away but I can't get it to sync at the 46' mark.)

Message 22 of 39
blacknatty
Aspirant

Sorry, not sure what you mean. Firewall? 

I have contacted Blanca_O. Is she a moderator/support, or do I need to contact another? I thought she was... Still waiting to hear back on that one.

Message 23 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Firmware issue. 

Yes, shes a Moderator. 

@blacknatty wrote:

Sorry, not sure what you mean. Firewall? 

I have contacted Blanca_O. Is she a moderator/support, or do I need to contact another? I thought she was... Still waiting to hear back on that one.

Message 24 of 39
blacknatty
Aspirant

Updating: I have been able to Facetime with my sister (in the US), but not with relatives internationally. (why the difference?) Domestically, it works fine from my end but the video on their end is frozen.

Skype seemed to work fine domestically, but when I tried internationally it said the party I was calling was not online. She was, and was trying to call me during the same ten minute period. Skype told her I was not online also. 

So for some reason, I can't communicate internationally. 

What I've done with the tech guys is to open up all possible ports into the router. 

Awaiting the next instructions to continue troubleshooting....

Message 25 of 39
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 38 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7