Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR20 with Skype and Facetime

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR20 with Skype and Facetime

I would make contact with Apple and MS support and see what maybe happening with International Facetime and Skype connections. They may have some recommendations and information. If Domestic connections are working and international isn't, this would be a issue either with the app services or at the remote connection. 

Message 26 of 39
Chuck_M
Mentor

What DNS servers are you using?

Try 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and 1.1.1.1

Message 27 of 39
blacknatty
Aspirant

OK. This is really getting complex. I may end up hanging my head in shame and calling in a local computer guy to help out. I'll see if these guys can give me any info though, thanks FURRYe38 for keeping up with this.

Message 28 of 39
blacknatty
Aspirant

Hi Chuck_M, 

I don't know. Looking on my dashboard, under advanced settings>internet port, I see Domain Name Servers listed and two strings of numbers there, but they both start with 208.180.  

Is that what you're talking about? Sorry, that could be beyond my capabilities...

Message 29 of 39
Chuck_M
Mentor

Yes, recommend you change those three numbers from the 208.xx numbers to

See if that makes any difference

Message 30 of 39
blacknatty
Aspirant

Sorry this thread has ground to a halt. My contact in Australia has returned home, and I have no one else over there that I can easily inconvenience to test this with me. Not sure how to proceed or if I can proceed without being able to test internationally. 

Message 31 of 39
Chuck_M
Mentor

I use Teamviewer (teamviewer.com) to remotely manage all of my systems globally.  I recommend it.

Message 32 of 39
blacknatty
Aspirant

Thank you Chuck, but I don't understand how that would help me test Skype internationally. Can you explain? 

Message 33 of 39
Chuck_M
Mentor

It allows you to remote control machines.  You could use it to initiate skype calls to yourself and answer them all from one machine.

Message 34 of 39
blacknatty
Aspirant

Right I understand it allows you to remotely control machines. I don't understand how it would replicate an international Skype call. I have tested Skype and Facetime domestically and they work fine, for some reason. I could test it just as easily by calling my husband on his laptop in the other room, but it's the international aspect that appears to be the issue although I don't know why that is behaving differently than domestic calls.

Message 35 of 39
blacknatty
Aspirant

We may have solved things. I got a call from support yesterday. They had done some research and found specific ports for Skype and FaceTime, and opened those. We tested Skype internationally and found that to work. I'm going to try and get a friend to test FaceTime internationally in the next couple of days. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for everyone's interest and assistance.

Message 36 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Great news.

Please post your new ocnfiguration and ports that were opened up so others will know for future reference. Please mark you post as solved as well. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@blacknatty wrote:

We may have solved things. I got a call from support yesterday. They had done some research and found specific ports for Skype and FaceTime, and opened those. We tested Skype internationally and found that to work. I'm going to try and get a friend to test FaceTime internationally in the next couple of days. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for everyone's interest and assistance.

Message 37 of 39
blacknatty
Aspirant

Here's an image of what my ports are now. Not sure what I started with and it doesn't list here what is for FaceTime. He worked so quickly that I didn't copy down everything that he changed. Service type is set to port triggering. 

He also put me back on daisy chain because of the layout of my house and the stone interior walls. Interestingly, the far satellite currently shows good signal although the closer one shows poor. Both are working fine for my needs though. 

Message 38 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome info. Thanks for posting. Hope this help future users. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@blacknatty wrote:

Here's an image of what my ports are now. Not sure what I started with and it doesn't list here what is for FaceTime. He worked so quickly that I didn't copy down everything that he changed. Service type is set to port triggering. 

He also put me back on daisy chain because of the layout of my house and the stone interior walls. Interestingly, the far satellite currently shows good signal although the closer one shows poor. Both are working fine for my needs though. 

Message 39 of 39
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 38 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7