Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 and slow internet

nppatel
Aspirant

RBR50 and slow internet

I have an Orbi RBR50 router with two satellites in my house as its about 5000 sq ft and we have devices in each room. The distance between the router and satellites is at least 30 ft. I also have centurylink fiber as I am paying for gigabit service. The current software according to the Orbi app is 2.5.1.8. Only the Router is hardwired as I have an older house. The setup is R-S-S if you look at it. 

Currently the setup is ONT->C3000z->Orbi RBR50 as a router.

I turned off the wireless capability of the C3000z modem so that the only router that my products see is the Orbi.

When I plug in a desktop directly to the C3000z modem given by Centurylink, I get about 940mbps to 980 mbps download speed. However, when I test the speed from the Orbi app which is connected directly to the modem, I get an average of 550 mbps (Orbi is connected with a Cat7 cable). Shouldn't it be reading close to 1,000 mbps?

On wireless however, I only get about 80-130 mbps through the mesh system throughout the house which I feel is very low, even when I am standing next to the router. I test through google's speed test and speedtest.net on both my iPhone XS Max as well as my HP laptop. 

I have already factory reset the router last week because sometimes the Orbi router was reaching speeds as low as 40mbps and then restarting it every other day would bring the speed back up to 115 mbps. But factory resetting the Orbi did not increase my speed past 130mbps. I have also tried putting the Orbi as an access point but maybe I didn't do it correctly? I did not set up the PPPoE or anything. All I did was turn on (and tried turning off) the C3000z wireless network and then went in the Orbi settings and put it in AP mode. But that did not do anything. Are the SSIDs from the modem and the Orbi supposed to have the same names maybe? Another thing I noticed is even when I turn the C3000z wireless 5g network on and connect to that with my phone when I am next to that modem/router, I only get 170 mbps speed (so a small increase when compared to the Orbi).

The settings I have within the Orbi app are changing the 5G channel to 48 (which isn't used as much in my neighborhood), enabled WMM, enabled 20/40 MHz coexistence, Daisy-Chain is disabled, enabled Beamforming, enabled MU-MIMO, and fast roaming is disabled. 

I was thinking about calling up Centurylink and getting the PPPoE password so that I can setup the DMZ and cofnigure the Orbi's for bridge mode and VLAN tag 201. But I am not sure if this will do anything. Am I doing something wrong? When I first set these Orbi's up (bought from Costco 5/28/18 so I cannot return past 5/28/20), I was getting speeds of up to 220 mbps which is why I returned the Google Wifi routers. But I am not sure what has changed since then because I only started messing around with the settings once the speed dropped significantly.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 and slow internet

Since the C3000z already has a built in router, This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Try option #3 first...

Message 2 of 12
nppatel
Aspirant

I had tried the second option before where I went to 192.168.0.1 and through the C3000z I clicked on advanced and DMZ and clicked on the RBR50 but still had the same speed. I just tried option 3 and in my room next to the satellite I get 170 mbps through fast.com, 131 mbps through google speed test, and 122 mbps through speedtest. Standing next to the router and the modem I get 220 mbps through fast.com, 320 mbps through google speed test, and 160 mbps through speedtest. I rebooted both the C3000z modem and the Netgear Orbi through the admin consoles. Shouldn't the speeds be faster, especially if I am standing next to the router? Do I try power cycling?

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Try power cycling OFF both for 30 seconds then back on with the modem first. 

I presume the problem will be the C3000z. 

I would try AP mode with the RBR. 

Message 4 of 12
nppatel
Aspirant

I put it in AP mode right now and powercycled all my devices. Unplugged the C3000z, the RBR50, and the two satellites. Waited five minutes. Plugged the C3000z back in, waited two min until it started working, then plugged in the RBR50 and the two satellites. Odd but I am still getting similar results. 280 mbps on fast . com when next to the modem/AP and google speed test showing 124 and speedtest showing 180. Shouldn't I be getting a much faster speed while right next to them. Like maybe not 600 but at least 300-400?

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What are the wired connected PC speed results look like using Ooklas installable speed test app? 

What wireless device are you using to speed test with? 

Message 6 of 12
nppatel
Aspirant

The PC that is wired into the modem currently gets 900-950 down. When I go into the Netgear online interface and try a speedtest through that it is saying that it was only getting somewhere between 500-600. 

I tried testing with two devices. The above numbers are from my HP laptop that is 2.5 years old. I also tried testing with my iPhone XS Max and those numbers came out to be a little lower.

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What are the wired connected PC speed results look like using Ooklas installable speed test app?

Message 8 of 12
nppatel
Aspirant

While my desktop is connected to the C3000z, it is getting anywhere from 920-990 down. When I connect it to the RBR50 it is getting between 720-770 down.
Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I would ask your ISP if you can remove the modem from there service and if it's possible to conenct the RBR directly to there service line. Is there a Fiber or ONT unit ahead of the C series modem? 

Message 10 of 12
nppatel
Aspirant

Yes there’s the black ONT unit with a cable from the 1 LAN port going into the C3000z’s LAN/WAN port. Should I call centurylink and ask for the pppoe username and password and then use that 251 number to set it up with the Orbi and then use the Orbi as a router again?
Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Call and ask if thats something supported. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7