Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Satellite: Invalid HW ID, use default Orbi

EdZz
Guide

Orbi Satellite: Invalid HW ID, use default Orbi

Hi All,

I'm having all sorts of issues with my Orbi Satellite

The list of issues and steps that i'm at can be found at the link below, but i thought for this issue, i'll keep it separate.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Satellite-not-syncing-with-Router/m-p/1896719#M89163

Does anyone know what it means when the Satellite has a DEVICE NAME of "Invalid HW ID, use default Orbi". My router can detect it but won't "sync" to it.  This doesn't mean that my Satellite is stuffed is it? it out of warranty by about 5 days, give or take

The image attached is when i've logged into the Satellite and navigated to the Status tab.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Satellite: Invalid HW ID, use default Orbi

What version FW do you have loaded on the RBR? The RBR and RBS should be on the same version of FW. 

While you have access to the RBS, you might want to update the RBS to recent FW, then update the RBR afterwards. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

Factory reset the RBS and RBR and setup from scratch. 

IF the factory reset doesn't fix the RBS HW ID problem, you'll need to contact NG support about this...Something is wrong with the RBS. May need to be replaced. 

@EdZz wrote:

Hi All,

The list of issues and steps that i'm at can be found at the link below, but i thought for this issue, i'll keep it separate.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Satellite-not-syncing-with-Router/m-p/1896719#M89163

Does anyone know what it means when the Satellite has a DEVICE NAME of "Invalid HW ID, use default Orbi". My router can detect it but won't "sync" to it.  This doesn't mean that my Satellite is stuffed is it? it out of warranty by about 5 days, give or take

The image attached is when i've logged into the Satellite and navigated to the Status tab.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What version FW do you have loaded on the RBR? The RBR and RBS should be on the same version of FW. 

While you have access to the RBS, you might want to update the RBS to recent FW, then update the RBR afterwards. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

Factory reset the RBS and RBR and setup from scratch. 

IF the factory reset doesn't fix the RBS HW ID problem, you'll need to contact NG support about this...Something is wrong with the RBS. May need to be replaced. 

@EdZz wrote:

Hi All,

Message 2 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@EdZz wrote:

The "Device Name" on the Attached Devices page is simply reporting the primary issue shown on the satellite web home page.  Instead of "RBS50", the firmware doesn't know what model of Orbi it is.  Your suspicion of the satellite being "toast" may be correct because the hardware model is probably "burned in" at the factory.

I think the only option you have is to download the satellite firmware from the Netgear support site that matches the firmware on your router.

Unpack the zip file to make the img file available.  Then, open the satellite home page and click on "Firmware Update", the bottom entry.

Message 3 of 15
EdZz
Guide

Hi @CrimpOn,

i was just replying to @FURRYe38 in the other thread, that i unfortunately cannot update my satellite.. i've tried to log directly into the satellite's Web UI and update it there, but when i click on the "Upload" button (no matter what firmware, i've tried 2.2.1.212, 2.3.1.6, 2.5.1.8 and 2.5.1.16) but the page times out with a 404 page not found error, image attached.

going their support page and trying to raise a ticket with them, since my orbi is out of date by 6 days.. guess they won't help... darn..

Message 4 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@EdZz wrote:

Hi @CrimpOn,

i was just replying to @FURRYe38 in the other thread, that i unfortunately cannot update my satellite.. i've tried to log directly into the satellite's Web UI and update it there, but when i click on the "Upload" button (no matter what firmware, i've tried 2.2.1.212, 2.3.1.6, 2.5.1.8 and 2.5.1.16) but the page times out with a 404 page not found error, image attached...

Thanks for the screen shot.  Is 192.168.1.250 the IP address of the satellite? (that appears on the router Attached Devices page?

Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

.1.250 is the IP address of the RBS web page when the RBS is connected to a wired PC and not synced with the RBR.

Message 6 of 15
EdZz
Guide

I've contacted NetGear and am in the process of an RMA. When tracking the RMA, i can see they have received the "brokered" satellite and i can confirm that the tracking company also reports the same, but no much has been done for about 10 days. Is this normal or should i somehow (which i don't know how to) get in contact with them and ask for an update?

And for those who are experiencing the same error, looks like something to do with the hardware is gone. My suspicion is that the MacAddress section of the board has packed it, i don't think its a short circuit otherwise the whole board would be fried.

Message 7 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

The only tactic that seems to prove useful is to send a private message to one of the forum moderators (by clicking on the symbolic link to their account, such as @Blanca_O ) and provide the pertinent details.  Netgear prefers that we not post sensitive or personal information on this public forum.

Geez.  One would have hoped that whoever authorized an RMA would have including instructions for how to follow up on it.

Message 8 of 15
EdZz
Guide

Thanks again for the help @CrimpOn.

yeh, there's not much going for the RMA updates. I can check where the RMA is at and it just says 

Shipped: False

but there's no "REPLY" button where i can ask for an update.

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Make contact with @ChristineT 

@EdZz wrote:

yeh, there's not much going for the RMA updates. I can check where the RMA is at and it just says 

Shipped: False

but there's no "REPLY" button where i can ask for an update.

Message 10 of 15
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Good morning EdZz, 

When you get a chance, may you send me a private message with your email address and RMA number. I'll request for our Customer Care to follow up on your RMA.

Thanks,
Christian 

Message 11 of 15
RickRickRick
Aspirant

Were you able to get helped with htis issue? I'm having the same issue I called Netgear a few weeks ago and they told me there was nothing I can do because I was 2 months out of my warranty. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Does this work for you? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Satellite-Invalid-HW-ID-use-default-Orbi/m-p/1898289/high...

@RickRickRick wrote:

Were you able to get helped with htis issue? I'm having the same issue I called Netgear a few weeks ago and they told me there was nothing I can do because I was 2 months out of my warranty. 

Message 13 of 15
EdZz
Guide

Try out those things that I went through in this thread, if all else fails it’s a dead satellite.

In terms of warranty, I had a couple of choices.
1) buy a new replacement satellite
2) buy a new router
3) pay the extended support over the phone with Netgear support (price will vary depending on the country you’re in so weigh up the pros and cons of paying support or buying a new mesh router)

I chose option 3 and did an RMA
Message 14 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@EdZz wrote:
Try out those things that I went through in this thread, if all else fails it’s a dead satellite.

In terms of warranty, I had a couple of choices.
1) buy a new replacement satellite
2) buy a new router
3) pay the extended support over the phone with Netgear support (price will vary depending on the country you’re in so weigh up the pros and cons of paying support or buying a new mesh router)

I chose option 3 and did an RMA

Can you please expand on #3?  I get confused between purchasing "extended support" versus signing up with GearHead.  I thought that "extended support" could only be purchased during the first 90 days, whereas GearHead can be bought any time.  GearHead will help diagnose the problem and issue an RMA only if the product is still within the original one year warranty period.

Sorry if this sounds confused.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7