Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router problem

GeraldPenney
Aspirant

Router problem

I have a Netgear DGND3700v2 as my main router which works well in one part of my large victorian house. In order to get my TV connected to the internet I installed an external ethernet cable from the router to the furthest room.

This comes through the wall to a square phone type box which then connects to a Netgear Gigabit switch GS105 and a Cisco WAP 121-E router. I think the Cisco box is rubbish. 

So, can I replace the switch and router with one Netgear device?

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Router problem

The WAP 121-e is pretty crappy because its an older single band device.

Most of netgears routers have access point mode. 
it'd be pretty simply to replace the linksys with a router and run it in access point mode. 

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@GeraldPenney wrote:

I have a Netgear DGND3700v2 as my main router which works well in one part of my large victorian house. In order to get my TV connected to the internet I installed an external ethernet cable from the router to the furthest room.

This comes through the wall to a square phone type box which then connects to a Netgear Gigabit switch GS105 and a Cisco WAP 121-E router. I think the Cisco box is rubbish. 

So, can I replace the switch and router with one Netgear device?

@plemansis right that most modern routers (from Netgear or anyone else) (a) provide four ethernet ports (one less than the GS105) and (b) can be placed in access point mode.  It appears that there is more going on than this one television. (How is it connected: ethernet or WiFi?)

It is more costly, but many of us would be tempted to move to a mesh WiFi system, which would create one seamless WiFi network that covers the entire house.

Message 3 of 6
GeraldPenney
Aspirant

Thanks for your help.

The TV is by ethernet connection (although it does support wifi). I don't know why this was done!

Could I therefore substitute both devices with the Netgear EX6250 or is there a cheaper device? 

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

Ex6250 only has 1x ethernet port. 

If you're wanting the extender/router hardwired in, then you'd want to stop up to the EX7000 that has 4x ethernet ports

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

step up i mean
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements