Reply

Streaming problems with Orbi Firmware versions v1.12.0.18 and v2.0.0.72

AzJazz
Apprentice

Streaming problems with Orbi Firmware versions v1.12.0.18 and v2.0.0.72

Hi, guys ... This community has been a great help to me, and I thought I'd pay it back now. Smiley Happy

I have had a random media streaming issue that started about a month ago. Netflix, Amazon, and HBO Go all started having momentary buffering issues, and the longer I would stream, the more frequent the buffering would occur. It was all very random, though. Casting through Chromecast (via WiFi) was the worst, but my Amazon FireTV box (hardwired, 100BaseT) also had the problem but to a lesser extent. Sometimes, my Chromecast would even drop the connection during streaming.

 

I have a 150 Mbps down / 12 Mbps up internet connection, with 20 msec of latency. My internet connection reads that pretty consistently. I should have plenty of bandwidth.


I spent a lot of time blaming my cable company. They have usually been the culprit in the past. But they have said that they see a perfect connection, and no bit errors are being reported by my cable modem.

 

So, today I tried diagnosing every piece of the data chain. At one point, I tried hard-wiring my Amazon FireTV box to my cable modem instead of going through the Orbi router ... and, I didn't see the buffering issue anymore!


Sure enough, when I reconected my Orbi (loaded with v2.0.0.72 at the time), the buffering issue reappeared on my FireTV. I tried erasing all the Orbi settings and reconfiguring my Orbi from scratch, and it didn't help - The buffering still occurred.

 

I realized that the buffering issue probably started after I received the v1.12.0.18 firmware around a month or so ago. I definitely was having this problem before the v2.0.0.72 update from a few days ago. So, I went to the previous load before that (v.1.11.0.20).

 

And, with v1.11.0.20 reinstalled, my streaming buffering issues have disappeared! Smiley Very Happy

 

Firmware v1.11.0.20 Downgrade Instructions: 

 

  1. Download the Orbi Base Firmware: Here. Download the Orbi Satellite Firmware: Here. Unzip these and save the .IMG files to a local hard drive - You don't want to save to a network drive, since you'll be messing with your network during this process.
  2. In order to go back to v1.11.0.20, you will first need to disable all Netgear updates on your Orbi. The instructions to disable Orbi updates are located here. (Note: Regardless of what the rest of that post says, blocking downloads.netgear.com on the router didn't work for me. Neither did the manual update process.). This is important. If you don't disable updates before downgrading your Orbi, your Orbi will automatically update back to v.1.12.0.18 within a minute or two after you go through the initial Orbi setup, and you'll have to start over again. Note: You may need to enable the Telnet Client Windows Feature in your Windows "Programs and Features" control panel to get a working telnet command in your command window.
  3. Once the Orbi updates are disabled, install the v1.11.0.20 firmware onto your Orbi satellites first (Advanced >> Administration >> Firmware Update >> Manual Update). Loading the satellites first is important, since you may lose connection to the satellites if you load your Orbi base first. You'll get a warning about the downgrade, but that's OK.
  4. After all your Orbi satellites have been loaded, load your Orbi base unit with the v1.11.0.20 firmware. Again, You'll get a warning about the downgrade, but that's OK.
  5. Once the Orbi base was loaded and came back up, I erased all my configuration settings to be on the safe side (Advanced >> Administration >> Backup Settings >> Erase). It's your option whether you should clear your settings - they may be incompatible, so don't get upset if your Orbi starts acting weird if you don't.
  6. Go through the Orbi initial setup. Note: I had to power off / on my satellite before going through the Orbi setup, and retry by going back a few pages before my satellite was properly recognized by the base.

Hopefully this works for you, too!

 

I don't know what Netgear implemented in v1.12.0.18 that causes this streaming buffering issue. It could be difficult for them to diagnose, since normal speed tests work just fine. The problem must be at a very low level though, since it affects both wired and WiFi connections.

 

I guess I won't be upgrading my Orbi again untill I see a fix for the streaming issue in a future firmware upgrade release note.


Cheers!

AzJazz

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 53
bigfellanz
Guide

Re: Streaming problems with Orbi Firmware versions v1.12.0.18 and v2.0.0.72

Quick Q - do you have to create a VLAN under Advanced Settings, VLAN/Bridge Settings, to connect with your ISP? 

Message 2 of 53
AzJazz
Apprentice

Re: Streaming problems with Orbi Firmware versions v1.12.0.18 and v2.0.0.72

No, I have 


@bigfellanz wrote:

Quick Q - do you have to create a VLAN under Advanced Settings, VLAN/Bridge Settings, to connect with your ISP? 


Hi, @bigfellanz - Quick A: Nope, nothing special about my connection to my ISP.. Just plug in the RJ-45 Ethernet cable, and I'm good to go. Man Happy

Message 3 of 53
martyfp
Luminary

Re: Streaming problems with Orbi Firmware versions v1.12.0.18 and v2.0.0.72

Have you ever run the Speedtest that is built into the orbi ?   Many people (including myself)  have reported strange behaviour after this has been run.   It seems like it initiates some form of dynamic-QoS which can cause some issues.

Message 4 of 53
AzJazz
Apprentice

Re: Streaming problems with Orbi Firmware versions v1.12.0.18 and v2.0.0.72


@martyfp wrote:

Have you ever run the Speedtest that is built into the orbi ?   Many people (including myself)  have reported strange behaviour after this has been run.   It seems like it initiates some form of dynamic-QoS which can cause some issues.


Yes, I have run the Speedtest in Orbi occasionally in the past. I'm not sure if I have run it with my current configuration. I guess I will have to upgrade to v1.12.0.18 / v2.0.0.72 and erase my settings now to see if the streaming problem returns when I haven't run the Speedtest.

Another hour or so time is about to be wasted ... 

Message 5 of 53
AzJazz
Apprentice

Re: Streaming problems with Orbi Firmware versions v1.12.0.18 and v2.0.0.72

@martyfp - FYI ... I upgraded to v2.0.0.72, and the streaming issues returned.

Message 6 of 53
martyfp
Luminary

Re: Streaming problems with Orbi Firmware versions v1.12.0.18 and v2.0.0.72

I did a "nvram erase" and factory reset, then reconfigured from scratch in 1.12 and that solved it for me.  My issue was the breakup of 4k video streams, HD and below was OK but 4K (over ethernet) generally became unwatchable when there was other network traffic.   My theory was that running the built-in Orbi speedest will set-up dynamic-qos which then limits bandwidth to some devices.     Not running it seems to avoid that.

 

After doing the "big reset",  I have not run the speed test and everything is fine and moving to 2.0 was Ok so far.

 

Hope that you find a solution....

 

Message 7 of 53
AzJazz
Apprentice

Re: Streaming problems with Orbi Firmware versions v1.12.0.18 and v2.0.0.72

Thanks! I can try the "big erase" and test again. It will be a about a week for me before I can test it, since I will be leaving town for a few days.

Message 8 of 53
AzJazz
Apprentice

Re: Streaming problems with Orbi Firmware versions v1.12.0.18 and v2.0.0.72

Crud.

 

My Orbi upgraded overnight to v1.12.0.18, even though I set the NVRAM parameters to the values that should be blocking the upgrades. Smiley Sad

 

My streaming issues have returned. 

 

I'll try downgrading back to v.1.11.0.20, but I'm not sure it will "stick".

Message 9 of 53
Sevo123
Apprentice

Re: Streaming problems with Orbi Firmware versions v1.12.0.18 and v2.0.0.72

Same here! After updating seeing streaming issues constantly on YouTube, apple tv mirroring, and facebook videos. Also have noticed couple times it disconnects. I was told supposedly today or tomorrow or next we should expect a new firmware👍. We’ll see I guess
Message 10 of 53
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Re: Streaming problems with Orbi Firmware versions v1.12.0.18 and v2.0.0.72


@Sevo123 wrote:
Same here! After updating seeing streaming issues constantly on YouTube, apple tv mirroring, and facebook videos. Also have noticed couple times it disconnects. I was told supposedly today or tomorrow or next we should expect a new firmware👍. We’ll see I guess

Have you tried turning off UPnP, I was experiencing something similar to you until I did that. Drops every 5 minutes or less really impacting streaming and other connecitons. It's been stable for me after that for a while now.

Message 11 of 53
AzJazz
Apprentice

Re: Streaming problems with Orbi Firmware versions v1.12.0.18 and v2.0.0.72

Just got back home today. My Orbi version did "stick" at v1.11.0.20 after I had reapplied the NVRAM settings to block updates. So that was a positive note.


However, my Orbi satellite refuses to sync/connect now. I am wondering if my Orbi satellite accidentally upgraded to v1.12.0.18 (or maybe 2.0.0.72) during the forced upgrades, or that my IP address range of 172.16.xxx.xxx is affecting the connectivity between the Orbi base and my Orbi satellite.

Is there a fix available? For example, can I manually reload my Orbi satellite with v1.11.0.20 without connection to the Orbi base?

Message 12 of 53
AzJazz
Apprentice

Re: Streaming problems with Orbi Firmware versions v1.12.0.18 and v2.0.0.72


@martyfp wrote:

I did a "nvram erase" and factory reset, then reconfigured from scratch in 1.12 and that solved it for me.  My issue was the breakup of 4k video streams, HD and below was OK but 4K (over ethernet) generally became unwatchable when there was other network traffic.   My theory was that running the built-in Orbi speedest will set-up dynamic-qos which then limits bandwidth to some devices.     Not running it seems to avoid that.

 

After doing the "big reset",  I have not run the speed test and everything is fine and moving to 2.0 was Ok so far.

 

Hope that you find a solution....

 


Hi, @martyfp - I tried the "big reset" after installing v1.12.0.18 last night and without running QoS. I still see the streaming buffering issues. I am pretty convinced at this point that there was some sort of regression between v1.11.0.20 and v.1.12.0.18.


How does an issue like this get sent up the food chain to Netgear? It looks like any sort of official Netgear support isn't available to me unless I pay for a service contract now.

 

AzJazz

Message 13 of 53
DarrenM
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Streaming problems with Orbi Firmware versions v1.12.0.18 and v2.0.0.72

AzJazz 

 

I sent you a Pm.

 

DarrenM

Message 14 of 53
adamdb
Initiate

Re: Streaming problems with Orbi Firmware versions v1.12.0.18 and v2.0.0.72

I would be interested to get the updates on this too. Having similar issues with streaming..thanks

 

Adam

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 15 of 53
JMU1998
Luminary

Re: Streaming problems with Orbi Firmware versions v1.12.0.18 and v2.0.0.72

I am also experiencing same buffering issues with streaming I have googlefiber so 1GB up and down and I have Orbi in A/P mode and my streaming devices are hardwired to the Main Orbi unit.  this should not be happening in A/P mode Orbi CPU should not be doing a lot of work so this issue is concerning and disappointing.  will there be a fix to address this?

Message 16 of 53
AzJazz
Apprentice

Re: Streaming problems with Orbi Firmware versions v1.12.0.18 and v2.0.0.72


@JMU1998 wrote:

I am also experiencing same buffering issues with streaming I have googlefiber so 1GB up and down and I have Orbi in A/P mode and my streaming devices are hardwired to the Main Orbi unit.  this should not be happening in A/P mode Orbi CPU should not be doing a lot of work so this issue is concerning and disappointing.  will there be a fix to address this?


@JMU1998 - I'm curious ... Did you try going back to v1.11.0.20 to see if it fixed your streaming issues?

Message 17 of 53
AzJazz
Apprentice

Re: Streaming problems with Orbi Firmware versions v1.12.0.18 and v2.0.0.72

Update: The same treaming issues still occur with v2.0.0.74.

 

I am hoping that Netgear is looking into resolving this. I have seen other posts, and I know that I am not the only one who has this problem.

AzJazz

Message 18 of 53
frazipe1
Tutor

Re: Streaming problems with Orbi Firmware versions v1.12.0.18 and v2.0.0.72

I am having really bad stuttering issues with V2.0.0.74. It's happening just with streaming videos on both of my Fire TVs and Samsung Tablet. Weird thing is it doesn't happen with Netflix but everything else I stream. My PC and PS4 don't seem to have the issue. My PC is hard wired to one of the Satellites and the PS4 is right nest to the Router so that maybe why they aren't having problems.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 19 of 53
AzJazz
Apprentice

Re: Streaming problems with Orbi Firmware versions v1.12.0.18 and v2.0.0.72


@frazipe1 wrote:

I am having really bad stuttering issues with V2.0.0.74. It's happening just with streaming videos on both of my Fire TVs and Samsung Tablet. Weird thing is it doesn't happen with Netflix but everything else I stream. My PC and PS4 don't seem to have the issue. My PC is hard wired to one of the Satellites and the PS4 is right nest to the Router so that maybe why they aren't having problems.


I have seen buffering problems with my FireTV devices and my Chromecast devices. I don't seem to have any buffering issues with my PC. The really weird thing (OK ... maybe just one of the weird things) is that on my FireTV I only see the buffering occur during streaming commercials breaks but not during the main video streaming. It's astonishingly bad during the commercials, though - commecials can sometimes play for five to ten seconds before a buffering incident, which can turn a 3 minute commercial break into a 10+ minute commercial break.

Message 20 of 53
rnewborg
Aspirant

Re: Streaming problems with Orbi Firmware versions v1.12.0.18 and v2.0.0.72

I just updated to firmware 2.0.0.74 as well and definitely have crazy buffering issues on my local network (Plex) on my Roku sticks and Roku players. As soon as I switched back to my older EA7500 from Linkys everything was working like a champ again.

A couple of notes: I use a dual-WAN setup with a Cisco RV345 as my default gateway and split it between Cable and Fiber. Same results whether I used my tried and true policy-based Load-balancing or static and since it was local network for my Plex server that component didn't matter. NetGear was set up as an AP with NO DHCP services (I let my Cisco give it IPs). 

 

Have to say I'm a bit dissappointed by this "best performance" rated system, but I'll hold on for a bit to see if they can address it before returning. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 21 of 53
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Streaming problems with Orbi Firmware versions v1.12.0.18 and v2.0.0.72


@rnewborg wrote:

I just updated to firmware 2.0.0.74 as well and definitely have crazy buffering issues on my local network (Plex) on my Roku sticks and Roku players. As soon as I switched back to my older EA7500 from Linkys everything was working like a champ again.

A couple of notes: I use a dual-WAN setup with a Cisco RV345 as my default gateway and split it between Cable and Fiber. Same results whether I used my tried and true policy-based Load-balancing or static and since it was local network for my Plex server that component didn't matter. NetGear was set up as an AP with NO DHCP services (I let my Cisco give it IPs). 

 

Have to say I'm a bit dissappointed by this "best performance" rated system, but I'll hold on for a bit to see if they can address it before returning. 


The problems have existed since before July but didn't exist with the pre-1.10.x firmwares.  Sadly, Netgear lost control of the stability of the system with 1.10.x and haven't regained it permanently since.  

Message 22 of 53
AzJazz
Apprentice

Re: Streaming problems with Orbi Firmware versions v1.12.0.18 and v2.0.0.72

I was hoping that Netgear would contact me about this ... I would be happy to help provide any diagnostic information I can, and I am off work for the next couple of days, so I'm available. Smiley Happy

Message 23 of 53
DarrenM
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Streaming problems with Orbi Firmware versions v1.12.0.18 and v2.0.0.72

Hello AzJazz 


yes we would like to work with you send me a PM with your name, email, and phone number  and I will get support in contact with you.

 

DarrenM 

Message 24 of 53
_Mac
Tutor

Re: Streaming problems with Orbi Firmware versions v1.12.0.18 and v2.0.0.72

@AzJazz did you resolve the issue?

 

I’ve got the same issue here with Orbi Pro router & satellite, major streaming and general surfing issues all the time! Running FW v1.12.1.28. We should have 1Gb/1Gb (fiber broadband) but are only getting about 200-300 UL / 500-700 UL and I lot of net dropping. We’ve also replaced all cables, switches etc...

 

Been talking to Netgear support for weeks and tried all sorts of things - nothing works. We’ve also had a fiber tech guy here who replaced everything and confirmed fiber is ok. Now we have to switch to Mobil 4G and share internet with our Macs to be able to work. Total frustration!

 

ANY tips or solutions would be great!

Message 25 of 53
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements