Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

TP-Link HS-105 wifi power plugs won't stay connected

Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

TP-Link HS-105 wifi power plugs won't stay connected

One of my many, many problems with the 2.2.1.210 firmware is that my TP-Link HS-105 plugs drop off all the time and can't stay connected.  They come and go, come and go.  I have about a half dozen of them and they all do it - sometimes together, sometimes at different times.  My Amazon wifi plug works very well, and the HS-100 plug I have works perfectly.  All plugs have the latest firmware 1.5.1. 

I've tried DHCP reservations etc.  This problem very well could be with the plugs themselves (i.e. their firmware), but, it seems drastically worse with this version of the Orbi firmware.  Some of these HS-105 are from last year and some are brand new.  Same problems.  The older ones used to be fine on my network.

The Orbi .210 firmware is such a disaster (with no hope on the horizon, it seems) that it's very difficult to figure out what is what, or even go back to other vendors and complain about connectivity.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

(Furry, please don't spam my post and ask me to reset again, or what router is connected to my router, etc.  Thank you)

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: TP-Link HS-105 wifi power plugs won't stay connected

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

Try a Manual FW load:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-released-as-of-10-3-18/m-p/1647303/highligh...

I would contact the Mfr of the power plugs for additional help and information. Could an issue with these particular plugs. 

Message 2 of 16
ekhalil
Master

@Jeremyinsf wrote:

.......... that my TP-Link HS-105 plugs drop off all the time and can't stay connected.  They come and go, come and go.  I have about a half dozen of them and they all do it - sometimes together, sometimes at different times.  ............

- Have you tried to set wireless security to AES in the devices (don't use auto)?

- Also some devices can't handle long wifi passwords or special characters in the passwords.

Message 3 of 16
Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

ekhalil - Specifci to the HS-105 plugs and AES, I don't see a way to do that.  Someone else previously posted (on a different post) about that, but, Kasa app does not seem to have a setting either after setup or during. 

You get to pick a wifi network on setup, and an icon/name to display once it's configured, but nothing else.  I've checked the documentation, and I also reset a plug this evening to go through it all again, and confirmed this. 

Am I missing something?

Message 4 of 16
ekhalil
Master

@Jeremyinsf wrote:

ekhalil - Specifci to the HS-105 plugs and AES, I don't see a way to do that.  Someone else previously posted (on a different post) about that, but, Kasa app does not seem to have a setting either after setup or during. 

You get to pick a wifi network on setup, and an icon/name to display once it's configured, but nothing else.  I've checked the documentation, and I also reset a plug this evening to go through it all again, and confirmed this. 

Am I missing something?

Do you get prompted for Wifi password? Have you tried to change the wifi password to a simpler password or -preferably- to test with no password?

Message 5 of 16
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Are you using fixed IP addresses? If not, try giving the HS105's static IP addresses during a period of good connection. 

Message 6 of 16
Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

Do you have these plugs and have you tried this yourself?  You didn't answer the last question about AES, you pivoted to a new concept.  

Message 7 of 16
Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

@JoeCymru , that is not supported on this product.

Message 8 of 16
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

I have several TP Link devices, and am in process of adding some HS105's but have not done that yet. However I frequent the TP link kasa forums and read up on problems before purchase on all products I buy. One of the problems specific with HS105 is yours. The other is a problem with remote operation. Solutions to these problems for some (seems both problems) is to assign static IP addresses to the HS105's. Just strage I ran across your post at a time when I am waiting for Amazon to deliver a bunch of the same plug to add to my lights and switches. It seems the issue is not necessarily with the wifi system people use because this is happening with people who have various routers.

Message 9 of 16
Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

@JoeCymru I do agree with you about the plugs!  However, as I mentioned, it seems worse with this firmware (orbi) and I figured it was worth a shot here too.  (I've also reached out to TPLink)  

There does not seem to be a way to set static IP, Force AES, etc.  The plugs need to be set up and configured via the Kasa app and as you will soon see, the config options are very limited.  Wifi name, plug name, icon.  That's it.  You can't change config after the fact either, you do the "add" to reconfigure it but even when you reset, it's all the same options.  Please let me know your thoughts after you try this yourself.  Thank you!

Message 10 of 16
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Advanced> LAN setup>address reservation>add

Message 11 of 16
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

OK see you tried. Yes, I will let you know. Plugs here on Friday.

Message 12 of 16
Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

I already have DHCP reservations on Orbi side.  Does not help.  No way to set static on the plug side.

Message 13 of 16
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

OK not reading right. What I am saying is reconfigure the IP address for the plugs in Orbi. Kasa certainly cannot do that. The problem seems to be with the HS105 getting reassigned IP addresses by routers including Orbi. The "fix" some folks have found is to assign fixed addresses for their plugs so the router does not change the periodically.

Message 14 of 16
Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

No I'm saying I do understand and I have done that and it has no effect. Thanks.
Message 15 of 16
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

I am about 18 hours into using three HS105 plugs, reserving a couple for later. Plugs are WPA/WPA2 and WEP compatible so that was not an issue. They did not ask for a firmware update, and none was available for them. Cycled the plugs several times during the afternoon and evening and again this morning. Periodically checked their availability on the app. I saw no unavailable periods. Checked on Orbi a few times, and they appear on Attached Devices. Two were set on schedules, which operated as asked. As with the other Kasa devices I have, all worked well with Google Home. I have not tested on remote yet.

My Orbi DHCP has no IP reservations for the plugs or anything else, and logs show IP reassignment. Implict Beamforming, MU-MIMO, and Fast Roaming all are off. Daisy Chain is enabled (glitch in system since this actually gives me a star configuration, and Daisy Chain off results in poor backhaul).

What I did notice was the signal strength at the plugs. All other TP link Kasa devices show signal strengths from the worst at -40db to the best at -30db (both lights and switches), whereas the plugs are at -50 to -53db. One of the plugs is three feet away (half of that distance being vertical) from an LB100 bulb which has a location signal strength of -30db and that plug has a signal strength reading of -50db. In that room I have one switch, and two bulbs in addition to the plug mentioned. Though -50db should be fine for the plug operation, the difference in signal strength - perhaps due to height - is notable. Device signal strength readings are from Kasa app.

So far I am not having issues in this set up. Only complaint is that, same as Kasa switches, them make a faint selonoid sound when switching.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7