Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Video conferencing network reconnects

TenKB
Aspirant

Video conferencing network reconnects

I have an Orbi RBR50 with two satellites RBS50 in router mode.  After a growing internet connection dropping issue (for which I read a number of community posts), I updated the firmware (2.5.1.8) on the router and satellites.  I also did a hard reset on all the devices and kept the configuration as close to default as possible.  I have MU-MIMO enabled, but not much else.  The internet connection drops which previously required me to reboot the router have been resolved.  What I am seeing now is that if I am using a video conferening app (i.e. Zoom, Webex, Skype) where I am broadcasting video, the video will freeze.   The audio (via wifi calling) will continue only where I can hear others, but they cannot hear me.  It takes about 30-40 secs or so, and it will recover.  Before it recovers, internet browsing stops working briefly as well.  It happens regularly when doing video conferencing .  I have looked at the debug page when this happens, and Orbi from a resource point of view is not taxed much.   This happens regardless of whether it is a wired or a wireless connection.  The wired connection is using a static IP with a DHCP reservation configured in Orbi.   I have done speed test a ton of time, and I am consistently getting over 200 Mbs down and 20 Mbs up.  Finally, if I connect directly to the modem, the problem goes away.  That being said, we can rule out the ISP as the issue.  I see a similar post here (although quite old):

https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers-Non/Video-Conferencing-problem/m-p/484244#M525...

Key details:

1) This is not a wireless problem.  This happens on a wired connection.

2) This is not an ISP problem.  The problem goes away when connected directly to a cable modem.

3) This is not a Orbi resource problem based on the debug page.

4) This is not a bandwidth issue, based on a lot of speed tests.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Video conferencing network reconnects

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Swap out LAN cable between the ISP modem and RBR to be sure. CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 15
TenKB
Aspirant

The modem is: NETGEAR Cable Modem CM700.

I have followed the instructions in the KB on placement as I have looked at that previously.

All the wifi suggestions you gave I have tried already previous to this post.  However,  I am not sure how they are relevant since I mentioned this issue occurs on a wired connection as well.Circle and Armor are disabled.

What came with the unit is a Cat5e.  I will swap with a Cat6.  

If the problem persists, are we talking about a bad unit?  Or do you have any other suggestions?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya kind of points to something on the RBR or between the RBR and modem.

When was the last time the modem was fully powered OFF for 1 minute then back on? 

You can try downgrading FW on the RBR and see if this helps any. V30 would be last working version. 

Or try voxel FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/m-p/1883...
You can revert back to stock FW if it doesn't work out for you. 

Message 4 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

bad firmware:   (2.5.1.8) 

get rid of it

Message 5 of 15
ekhalil
Master

@TenKB wrote:

........  What I am seeing now is that if I am using a video conferening app (i.e. Zoom, Webex, Skype) where I am broadcasting video, the video will freeze.   The audio (via wifi calling) will continue only where I can hear others, but they cannot hear me.  It takes about 30-40 secs or so, and it will recover.  Before it recovers, internet browsing stops working briefly as well.  ..............

This can be either of two issues:

1. It can be a similar problem to what was experienced in the Orbi AX lately as seen in this post: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBR850-Frequent-Disconnects-Starting-March-9th-AM-EST/m-p/1.... In that case Netgear has to do something in the Cloud to fix this.

2. This can also be an isseu with the ISP lease time. A suggested workaround fix can be seen in this post: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Another-RBR50-Dropping-Internet-Connection/m-p/1875385/highlig...

Message 6 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Retired_Member wrote:

bad firmware:   (2.5.1.8) 

get rid of it

couldn't be a firmware issue could it???

Message 7 of 15
TenKB
Aspirant

I went to firmware V30 based on a suggestion here.  I worked great for one week exactly.  No problems whatsoever.  I figured the problem was resolved.  Today, the issue returned.  So I rebooted the router (not the satellites) which should not matter since my PC is connected directly to the RBR50. After rebooting, the issue has happened at least 3 more times today.  I would say it is not firmware at this point since that should persist more than one week.     Also, with it repeating that many times in one day, I doubt it would be a ISP lease issue.. Any thoughts?

Message 8 of 15
ekhalil
Master

@TenKB wrote:

......    Also, with it repeating that many times in one day, I doubt it would be a ISP lease issue.. Any thoughts?

What is your ISP lease time please? You can check this in the web GUI under >> ADVANCED >> ADVANCED Home >> INTERNET PORT >> CONNECTION STATUS >> Lease Obtained

Message 9 of 15
TenKB
Aspirant

Here is the lease information:

Lease Obtained1 Days, 0 Hours, 0 Minutes
Lease Expires0 Days, 21 Hours, 31 Minutes
Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible issues with the ISP upstream or your video confrencing services. Be aware that ISP services and other video confrencing services are under larger loads these days with everyone working from home. There maybe problems seen with these kinds of conditions. 

@TenKB wrote:

I went to firmware V30 based on a suggestion here.  I worked great for one week exactly.  No problems whatsoever.  I figured the problem was resolved.  Today, the issue returned.  So I rebooted the router (not the satellites) which should not matter since my PC is connected directly to the RBR50. After rebooting, the issue has happened at least 3 more times today.  I would say it is not firmware at this point since that should persist more than one week.     Also, with it repeating that many times in one day, I doubt it would be a ISP lease issue.. Any thoughts?

Message 11 of 15
TenKB
Aspirant

I agree.  I also assumed that was part of the problem intially.  It could be a coincedence, but after the firmware downgrade, the problem stopped for a week.  before that it happened about every day, definitely every video conferencing call.  the HW is three years old..  I am leaning toward the HW being the problem at this point.. unless there a way capture the ISP issue in the logs.  Is there a way to do that?

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to check with the modems logs or have the ISP check there side when you notice this happening. 

You might try and find you a temp router to test. Put this in place of the RBR and see if the problem continues. If it does then it wouldn't be the Orbi HW. You might try a different modem as well. 

Even doing a factory reset after downgrading or updating to recent FW you see this problem? 

You should try Voxels FW out as well as a last resort...

Message 13 of 15
ekhalil
Master

@TenKB wrote:

Here is the lease information:

Lease Obtained1 Days, 0 Hours, 0 Minutes
Lease Expires0 Days, 21 Hours, 31 Minutes

This is a long lease time, and it can be that Orbi is loosing the connection with the ISP and needs renewal of the lease more frequently.

This is a problem in Orbi since a long time and is still very obvious in the latest firmware.

You won't loose anything by trying to reduce the lease time. 🙂

Message 14 of 15
TenKB
Aspirant

I went ahead and tried another mesh router system altogether. The issue persists.. So that takes Orbi out of the picture.  I talked to the ISP.. they don't keep logs and will only troubleshoot as the issue is happening.. which is not long enough to get them on the phone..Is it worth trying another wireless modem at this point or chaulk this up to internet saturation due to the increased number of people at home these days..

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7