Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

broadcasting signal to my shop - rbr50

cypma
Aspirant

broadcasting signal to my shop - rbr50

I am wondering if any one has a suggestion for hardware that I could connect to an Orbi satelite to broadcast the signal across the driveway to my shop where an antenna could capture it and pass it to another Orbi satellite.  I am currently set up in the house with wifi daisy chain and I have no complaints with the way it works.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: broadcasting signal to my shop - rbr50

What is the distance from the house to the garage area? Anything over 50 feet will be iffy or problematic at best. If you can run a buried CAT6a cable between the house and garage, then you can place a RBS connected via ethernet in the garage area. RBS40v would be suggested. 

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@cypma wrote:

I am wondering if any one has a suggestion for hardware that I could connect to an Orbi satelite to broadcast the signal across the driveway to my shop where an antenna could capture it and pass it to another Orbi satellite.

It would really help to know (a) the distance between the existing Orbi satellite and this "shop", and (b) the composition of the shop walls (i.e. metal ('bad') or wood frame construction ('better')).

Message 3 of 5
cypma
Aspirant

Thank you for your suggestions.  After reading the comments it dawned on me that I hadn't even bothered to check if there was signal in the shop.  I have a medium strength signal in the shop, and using my phone I was able to get 150mb download using the xfinity speed test.  The distance between the two builidings is about 65'.  Fortunately the satellite sits in front of a large window and the satellite that will be in the garage will also be in front of a window.  I also appreciated the suggestion to pick up the alexa capable satellite.  It is much less than a rbr50 satellite.

Curt

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully that should work for you.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation